Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Feelgood factor back with P&R return

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#101 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'm done, sadly. The feelgood factor of licensing - which should have evolved into fully-fledged franchising and the strategic mergers of pro sides in saturated areas and expansion into new ones - has instead given way to the heartache of a return to entrenched hierarchies, "boom and bust" clubs, boring fixtures and national indifference by way of the risible promotion/relegation model. We simply cannot escape our past in British sport. We either don't want to or are simply not brave enough. It's a great shame.

I'm looking forward to getting stuck into NRL properly. I would have much favoured following an indigenous league with a merged Hull side that I could support, being a progressive Hull KR fan. I will however watch NRL in the capacity of what the US sports pundit Bill Simmons calls an "atheist", ie with no team affiliation, merely enjoying the intensity and unpredictability of the action, as I do with the NBA. Much better that than a constant struggle to aim above a top 8 glass ceiling and the worry, frustration and uncertainty that this brings.

Good luck to all who stick with Super League. However, you were fools to yourselves and I sincerely doubt will even have a sport to follow in 10 years time. Get those buckets ready outside of the few elite sides - you'll be using them again and again.

I'm sorry to be leaving SL behind but feel relieved in a strange way. It's draining trying to convince self-interested King Canute rugby league fans that a Watership Down-style disaster awaits. You deserve it, ultimately. We reap what we sow.

Should we ever revisit the 1995 model and get serious about a stable, intense, franchised elite competition I'll be ready with cash in hand to spend on the world's greatest sport in the country that invented it but currently has not a clue how to make it profitable and enticing to investors and the wider public.

Peace out.

#102 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

Glad to see the system to protect clubs. In the top level of the game getting into financial trouble worked so wel......................on hang on it didnt did it.

Actually the system brought in to protect clubs did. Unfortunately that system was scrapped by the clubs themselves and once that protection was removed we had the Wakefield, Bradford, Salford scenarios

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#103 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

just the double standard I expected.

My satire was qualified as humour. Yours wasn't. Want a bandage for your ego?

#104 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

I'm done, sadly. The feelgood factor of licensing - which should have evolved into fully-fledged franchising and the strategic mergers of pro sides in saturated areas and expansion into new ones - has instead given way to the heartache of a return to entrenched hierarchies, "boom and bust" clubs, boring fixtures and national indifference by way of the risible promotion/relegation model. We simply cannot escape our past in British sport. We either don't want to or are simply not brave enough. It's a great shame.

I'm looking forward to getting stuck into NRL properly. I would have much favoured following an indigenous league with a merged Hull side that I could support, being a progressive Hull KR fan. I will however watch NRL in the capacity of what the US sports pundit Bill Simmons calls an "atheist", ie with no team affiliation, merely enjoying the intensity and unpredictability of the action, as I do with the NBA. Much better that than a constant struggle to aim above a top 8 glass ceiling and the worry, frustration and uncertainty that this brings.

Good luck to all who stick with Super League. However, you were fools to yourselves and I sincerely doubt will even have a sport to follow in 10 years time. Get those buckets ready outside of the few elite sides - you'll be using them again and again.

I'm sorry to be leaving SL behind but feel relieved in a strange way. It's draining trying to convince self-interested King Canute rugby league fans that a Watership Down-style disaster awaits. You deserve it, ultimately. We reap what we sow.

Should we ever revisit the 1995 model and get serious about a stable, intense, franchised elite competition I'll be ready with cash in hand to spend on the world's greatest sport in the country that invented it but currently has not a clue how to make it profitable and enticing to investors and the wider public.

Peace out.

Not the kind of person to try something new before you condemn it and take your bat and ball home. Good riddance.

#105 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 309 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Peace out.

What a sanctimonious load of old tripe. 'I'll watch the telly instead of enjoying any more live matches'. Yeah, that'll do the job. Good for you.

#106 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

Lol.... oh the irony!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#107 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

What's to feel good about here? Unless your agenda is to see rugby league return to the point where it's a marginal, under financed pastime, played out between teams of semi-professional players from small northern towns.

The good old days may have been great but the truth is, they're gone. The world has changed.

If this is your regressive vision of the future, don't be shocked when fans, broadcasters, sponsors, talented athletes and perhaps even ambitious clubs choose to walk away from our game.

#108 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

What ever changes are made we all need to back it and stick to the rules that are applied not change them to fit with clubs

We had a framing of future to improve stadiums yet some clubs have done nothing. We need progressive clubs aiming for the S/L to average 2500 but it doesn't matter if S/L clubs cannot attract alot more We monitor clubs so they don't got bust but if-they do no worry they won't go anywhere. We aim to progress our youth but scrap it to save money yet continue to bring Aussies over and we don't allow a club who wins it's league 3 years on the trot it move anywhere. There is a few reasons why we must change because people on the outside looking it just laugh when you explain what happens we haven't even got the same points for a try between all leagues It's time for change so lets get on with it but make sure the change is right for everyone not just the few

#109 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,865 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

What's to feel good about here? Unless your agenda is to see rugby league return to the point where it's a marginal, under financed pastime, played out between teams of semi-professional players from small northern towns.

The good old days may have been great but the truth is, they're gone. The world has changed.

If this is your regressive vision of the future, don't be shocked when fans, broadcasters, sponsors, talented athletes and perhaps even ambitious clubs choose to walk away from our game.

and when that happens as surely it will it wont be fair or just and it will be somebody else's fault.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#110 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

What ever changes are made we all need to back it and stick to the rules that are applied not change them to fit with clubs

We had a framing of future to improve stadiums yet some clubs have done nothing. We need progressive clubs aiming for the S/L to average 2500 but it doesn't matter if S/L clubs cannot attract alot more We monitor clubs so they don't got bust but if-they do no worry they won't go anywhere. We aim to progress our youth but scrap it to save money yet continue to bring Aussies over and we don't allow a club who wins it's league 3 years on the trot it move anywhere. There is a few reasons why we must change because people on the outside looking it just laugh when you explain what happens we haven't even got the same points for a try between all leagues It's time for change so lets get on with it but make sure the change is right for everyone not just the few

Really? When the #### was that introduced???

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#111 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

My satire was qualified as humour. Yours wasn't.

If you say so.

#112 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,724 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

I find the closed-mindedness of some on here quite shocking.

With some people nothing is ever grey.

#113 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

I find the closed-mindedness of some on here quite shocking.

With some people nothing is ever grey.

There are a lot of polarised views on a limited number of subjects. People express what by now are deeply held feelings. We are on the opposite side of the debate on p&r dave.
However, I still feel comfortable enough to exchange views with you. You are never abusive. You rarely if ever use sarcasm as your preferred mode of exchange and though I reletain my 'closed' stance on this issue I'm still a happy bloke happy to discuss any aspect of the game with you - though you have to accept as ive yet to see a sl game im somewhat limited on that subject! :lol:
Keep smiling
Love n peace

#114 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,950 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

it'll be reight!

#115 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Really? When the #### was that introduced???

Sorry it wasn't I mean a league win

#116 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Peace out.

Wow, I thought I went off in a massive sulk in 1995, but that's a corker.  My 4 year old would be proud of that one. 

You really need to accept that, especially with regard to the "M" word, you are and always were in a tiny minority.  What you dream of will never happen to Rugby League in this country, something that I and many others are grateful for.

#117 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

hull sharks anyone?

What about them?

Is that the club that wanted to go into the NFP to regroup but weren't allowed to?
Posted Image

#118 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

But when will London be given a chance to BLOW IT as you say.

When have they finished bottom or not had a backer?
Posted Image

#119 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

Peace out.

As I said before,don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#120 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

What about them?

Is that the club that wanted to go into the NFP to regroup but weren't allowed to?

Wellsy - I think this issue with Hull was at the height of tensions between the SL and NFP due to a series of seasons where the RFL refused entry to SL for the NFP champions (due to FTP which did not apply to SL clubs!) and Shuddersfield were kept up.

Luckily tensions subsided the year after when Widnes finally replace Shuddersfield

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users