Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Catalan v Castleford - KO change (merged threads)

Club news release

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

My first reaction to this was "Oh, come on! Three hours can't make that much difference. Surely you're not planning your travel to get there right on kick-off time!"

Now I've thought about it, I'm not so sure. What if you've picked your flight to land 5 hours before kick-off? That's now 2 hours and, if your flight is delayed by just 1 hour, you might not have enough time to get there.

Not as clear cut as I thought. I now think the Cas fans have a genuine grievance here.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#22 brooza

brooza
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Personally I think the Catalans matches should be set in stone (home and away)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#23 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Personally I think the Catalans matches should be set in stone (home and away)

Presumably with the Medusa as referee.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#24 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Whilst this probably is a bit rough on those who have booked to land within a few hours of KO time, I can't help but wonder why anyone would choose to do this.

If I was going to Perpignan, I'd be going the day before, having a good relax at the hotel and be flying back the day after.

It's leaving far too much to chance to be arriving same day.

That said, I do work in the travel industry and spend my days considering the what ifs for my clients.

#25 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

Whilst this probably is a bit rough on those who have booked to land within a few hours of KO time, I can't help but wonder why anyone would choose to do this.

If I was going to Perpignan, I'd be going the day before, having a good relax at the hotel and be flying back the day after.

That said, I do work in the travel industry and spend my days considering the what ifs for my clients.

I've been to a SL game at Perpignan, and also had an in depth interview with the boss of Catalan tours, when I was there.

and your first sentence is spot on.

I can't imagine many if any people turning up a few hours from kick off on game day.

People buy into the whole package and make a whole weekend of it-either staying over the border in Spain, or staying in or around Perpignan. It was one of the most amazing, fun, fraternal, fascinating experiences I've ever had, not just in terms of Rugby League, but ever. I haven't stayed in Spain and gone to a game, but I have spent the weekend in Perpignan and would highly recommend it. It's a fabulous place and the atmosphere in the town over the entir weekend is magic the food and drink isn't cheap but is great value-I recommend Pelforth Brun and the locals are very friendly. One night we went out and on the street corner was a full on electric blues band knocking out John Lee Hooker numbers. An absolute must go to Rugby League experience.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#26 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

We have Catalans Away, followed by Magic weekend, followed by London away, so you can tell money is pretty tight.

many people have booked to arrive on Saturday morning into Gerona and I'm sorry but 3 hrs does make a big difference.

I know many of you have scoffed at the OP but I think those that are traveling do have a genuine grievance.

On top of that some do go the day before and stop in Lloret or Barcelona with an itinerary of what's happening on the Saturday - this now has to change at the drop of a hat.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

We have Catalans Away, followed by Magic weekend, followed by London away, so you can tell money is pretty tight.

many people have booked to arrive on Saturday morning into Gerona and I'm sorry but 3 hrs does make a big difference.

I know many of you have scoffed at the OP but I think those that are traveling do have a genuine grievance.

On top of that some do go the day before and stop in Lloret or Barcelona with an itinerary of what's happening on the Saturday - this now has to change at the drop of a hat.

I didn't scoff at the OP Kenny, I can see where he/she is coming from

my point was that the massively general trend is different to what has been said and you can't please everybody.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#28 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

Would have been interesting to see if the kick-off time change would have been allowed if one of the bigger SL teams were the visitors. 

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

Would have been interesting to see if the kick-off time change would have been allowed if one of the bigger SL teams were the visitors. 

Probably, it's for two Frenchies in the kick and clap Euro final after all.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Castleford Tigers wishes to notify fans that the kick-off time for the Super League fixture versus Catalan Dragons on Saturday 18th May has been changed to 4pm local time (3pm GMT).  The Club has worked hard with the RFL to reschedule the kick-off time following the initial change at the weekend from 6pm to 3pm local time at the request of French Television.

Castleford Tigers Chief Executive, Steve Gill said: "We would like to thank Emma Rosewarne at the RFL who has understood the difficulties that our supporters will have faced due to the late notice of the first rescheduled kick-off time.  Our fans have had the trip to Catalan planned for some time and we felt that the initial change was unfair as some would have missed the match, so we have worked closely with the RFL to try and find a more suitable time.”

ENDS

Brett Cullen

Media Relations  Officer

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#31 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

To be deeply pedantic it's 3 PM BST (British Summer Time) which is GMT +1 with the rest of Western Europe being on GMT +2. So there!

#32 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

To be deeply pedantic it's 3 PM BST (British Summer Time) which is GMT +1 with the rest of Western Europe being on GMT +2. So there!

To be even more pedantic, the modern usage is referred to as UTC.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#33 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

Let's hope this means everyone that was going can make the game. 

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users