Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bulldogs v Swinton latest score

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Hmmm! £14 to get in and £41 on taxi, ale and grub yet it's the entrance charges that are too high.

I hope you didn't buy a programme too.

;)

That would have been an extra quid!!!!

#22 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:22 AM

Perhaps if you didn't give out so many complimentary tickets you'd do better.

I had to speak to the guy who was dealing with them and he had a wad of tickets to be dished out.

Cost plays a massive part, at our last home game Swinton cut the entrance fee to £5 ( to low IMO) but it resulted in a crowd of 1141 on a Thursday night with the opposition being Whitehaven.

Do you like how I have offered some advice without slagging your club off unlike one or two of your fans have ours.

#23 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

600 x £15 = £9000.

1200 x £5 = £6000.

I don't think dropping trousers on the ticket price is the answer. We've done it plenty of times in the past and it just doesn't work. £15 is not a lot. We just need to Market our club better. Like fev do.

#24 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Not being party to what happens in respect of complimentarys etc., but I would hazard a guess that not too many are dished out to allcomers. I would expect that the tickets he had were for those coming as part of hospitality packages etc. or players passes. In the first instance, the club would have received a financial return in respect of them and for the players I think they are entitled to some as part of their contracts.

#25 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

600 x £15 = £9000.

1200 x £5 = £6000.

I don't think dropping trousers on the ticket price is the answer. We've done it plenty of times in the past and it just doesn't work. £15 is not a lot. We just need to Market our club better. Like fev do.

I did say five pounds was to cheap.The point I was illustrating was that people are price driven,especially a consideration for away fans, for example yesterday I attended with my son, it cost me 20 pound in fuel a further 25 quid entrance. Parking and refreshments added another 12 quid,just shy of 60 quid. I am in a position where my disposable income allows me to do this luckily, many families arn't and it is easy to see why crowds are dropping at all grounds.

#26 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

I think 90% of the 600 are most probably season ticket holders.

600 x £15 = £9000.

1200 x £5 = £6000.

#27 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Yet somehow football clubs manage easily enough while charging £40 + per game. £15 is a bargain to watch this level of rugby league. Personally I think £20 is more on the mark. I don't earn over the odds and I have to support my partner and our 2 year old son. People who don't work and just claim benefits have more disposable income than me but I manage to get to nearly every game home/away.

I would rather see the ticket price increase to £20 for adults. With the u16's getting in for free when accompanied by an adult.

#28 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

We don't even have 400 season ticket holders.

#29 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

I did say five pounds was to cheap.The point I was illustrating was that people are price driven,especially a consideration for away fans, for example yesterday I attended with my son, it cost me 20 pound in fuel a further 25 quid entrance. Parking and refreshments added another 12 quid,just shy of 60 quid. I am in a position where my disposable income allows me to do this luckily, many families arn't and it is easy to see why crowds are dropping at all grounds.

No no no Alan. ..its because Batley are too good!

I've stayed away from away games this year because of personal reasons. ..not financial

BUT

II've never ever heard such a strange excuse as home fans stay away because they are too good. Its ridiculous.

#30 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

Don't be ridiculous!

No no no Alan. ..its because Batley are too good!

I've stayed away from away games this year because of personal reasons. ..not financial

BUT

II've never ever heard such a strange excuse as home fans stay away because they are too good. Its ridiculous.

First, there are games that we are expected to win, and generally do. Yesterdays was an example. For me, I have to pick and choose my games as finance and opportunity dictate that I cannot get to all matches. I know of others in the same boat. They pick those that are most competitive and potentially more exciting, e.g. Featherstone, Halifax etc. It is a financial reality. Look at the comments made by Batley supporters on here when there was talk of Briers and Morley playing. It made the match a much more interesting proposition.

Secondly, while you see it as an arrogant statement, it's a statement of fact made from financial reality. It's got nothing to do with me claiming that we are too good so stop playing the martyr and see the comment for what it was. If you didn't see the result as a foregone conclusion, then look at the comments pre match on your forum

Finally, it's not really a Batley thing to claim we are too good, remember we have been league whipping boys for much of the last 50 years! (Unless you are Piggy's Mate and we are playing Dewsbury)

Edited by distantdog, 13 May 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#31 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

Don't be ridiculous!

First, there are games that we are expected to win, and generally do. Yesterdays was an example. For me, I have to pick and choose my games as finance and opportunity dictate that I cannot get to all matches. I know of others in the same boat. They pick those that are most competitive and potentially more exciting, e.g. Featherstone, Halifax etc. It is a financial reality. Look at the comments made by Batley supporters on here when there was talk of Briers and Morley playing. It made the match a much more interesting proposition.

Secondly, while you see it as an arrogant statement, it's a statement of fact made from financial reality. It's got nothing to do with me claiming that we are too good so stop playing the martyr and see the comment for what it was. If you didn't see the result as a foregone conclusion, then look at the comments pre match on your forum

Finally, it's not really a Batley thing to claim we are too good, remember we have been league whipping boys for much of the last 50 years! (Unless you are Piggy's Mate and we are playing Dewsbury)

Im not playing the martyr.
Ive never missed a home game
Your argument that I refuse to accept is neither fact nor valid
Its ridiculous .

I wasn't expecting us to win at your place. I've seen us win there though a few times.
I was at both Wigan and Warrington and Leeds games when we had no chance. We got mullered in all three across the decades. I was there the week after
Talking of weak....thats your argument

#32 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

I wonder what the average hourly rate is in Batley.Can't see it being much above the minimum wage,so maybe that could be a basis for the entrance fee?

Yet somehow football clubs manage easily enough while charging £40 + per game. £15 is a bargain to watch this level of rugby league. Personally I think £20 is more on the mark. I don't earn over the odds and I have to support my partner and our 2 year old son. People who don't work and just claim benefits have more disposable income than me but I manage to get to nearly every game home/away.

I would rather see the ticket price increase to £20 for adults. With the u16's getting in for free when accompanied by an adult.

#33 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

I did get on actually and that was printed in march when the original game 'should' have been played which was another joke tbh.......kear notes about previous 2 games were 3 month out of date etc....

Regarding the programme , may I clarify the situation. You are correct in saying the programmes were out of date as they were printed for the original game that was cancelled due to the weather. Those programmes were paid for by the club ,at the time,to be printed. The club then have a choice, do they LOSE the money on the 'OLD' programmes and have a new one printed (at further cost), or do they use the old ones with an updated flyer page by The Chairman and John Kear. They went for the second option purely down to costs. I understand that the club were late in adding the flyer and some people who bought the programmes early did not recieve the update. The update was prepared, and printed , and added,by Kevin Nicholas. In his defence how many other Chairman would do this.

Should anyone not have recieved the update I am willing to arrange to get one to you. Please PM me if required.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#34 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

Im not playing the martyr.
Ive never missed a home game
Your argument that I refuse to accept is neither fact nor valid
Its ridiculous .

I wasn't expecting us to win at your place. I've seen us win there though a few times.
I was at both Wigan and Warrington and Leeds games when we had no chance. We got mullered in all three across the decades. I was there the week after
Talking of weak....thats your argument

Good on you never having missed a home game. You are to be congratulated on that. Well done. But some supporters clealry do not have that commitment to their team.  Whether it's valid or not is irrelevent and I could not care less whether you accept it or not. It is however a fact that some supporters who I know, think this way.  It is also one viewpoint as to why some attendances are unacceptably low. So rather than calling my argument ridiculous, try and see beyond the narrow confines of your own views and understand that not everyone  thinks the same as you!

#35 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

I'm not on much above the minimum wage either but I don't smoke and don't drink too much (I have a couple at the game though)

There will always be people that can't make every week for all sorts of reasons. What we need to focus on is building a wider fanbase. I know people who've lived in Batley for 20 years and don't know anything about our club but they'll watch superleague every week. That's who I'd like to try and get involved.

#36 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

I'm not on much above the minimum wage either but I don't smoke and don't drink too much (I have a couple at the game though)

There will always be people that can't make every week for all sorts of reasons. What we need to focus on is building a wider fanbase. I know people who've lived in Batley for 20 years and don't know anything about our club but they'll watch superleague every week. That's who I'd like to try and get involved.

Agree with widening the fanbase, and making our club more visible around the town, so that it is impossible for someone to say they have no idea that the club exist! I have no idea how easy it is but some clubs get their supporters to download a poster to distribute. I guess we are always going to struggle for numbers, but every individual who pays at the gate and spends their money on a pie or a drink is crucial to our survival and future prospering.

At the moment, the club, rightly, manages to wring every spare penny out of the few supporters we have, but this is now becoming more difficult due to the financial climate we live in. People are finding excuses not to come (see my point in previous posts) whereas we need to be encouraging the opposite.

#37 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Do you mean they actually attend Super League matches or are of the armchair variety?

#38 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:46 PM

Good on you never having missed a home game. You are to be congratulated on that. Well done. But some supporters clealry do not have that commitment to their team.  Whether it's valid or not is irrelevent and I could not care less whether you accept it or not. It is however a fact that some supporters who I know, think this way.  It is also one viewpoint as to why some attendances are unacceptably low. So rather than calling my argument ridiculous, try and see beyond the narrow confines of your own views and understand that not everyone  thinks the same as you!

Thankyou. I apologise for calling it ridiculous. I do think its stretching it a bit though

I think perhaps the most valid reason for fans not going to games particularly from a Swinton fans perspective is on the same weekend;

1 City were in the FA cup final which you could watch for free

2 United were getting the cup which you could watch virtually free in most pubs  

3 the weather was rubbish

4 good quarter final on tv for free

Why would Swinton fans travel to Batley to see us get a certain hammering? Spend at least £50 -60 .

Its because we are mad. 

I suppose the same reasons are valid for Batley fans. 

Id love our club to be in the same position as yours. Nice little ground in your home town. Good competitive team. Its a pity the Batley public arent appreciating the rare good times while they can.

#39 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thankyou. I apologise for calling it ridiculous. I do think its stretching it a bit though

I think perhaps the most valid reason for fans not going to games particularly from a Swinton fans perspective is on the same weekend;

1 City were in the FA cup final which you could watch for free

2 United were getting the cup which you could watch virtually free in most pubs  

3 the weather was rubbish

4 good quarter final on tv for free

Why would Swinton fans travel to Batley to see us get a certain hammering? Spend at least £50 -60 .

Its because we are mad. 

I suppose the same reasons are valid for Batley fans. 

Id love our club to be in the same position as yours. Nice little ground in your home town. Good competitive team. Its a pity the Batley public arent appreciating the rare good times while they can.

I agree, which is my point above, we must try to widen our appeal. We have a great product at the Mount, but for some reason the supporters do not come. I have given you reasons for a few of our supporters not to come, which is perhaps the most frustrating you can get. It's surreal that they do not want to come because they expect us to win! They obviously have short memories. There are obviously other attractions that appeal more, or they simply have no idea that we are here!

#40 Rab C

Rab C
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

Agree DD

The club really needs to be more visible in the town, other than hitting the hardcore 600 that are continually putting into the coffers. 

Yes, we read every week KN comments on lack of funds & poor crowds. But KN is preaching to the ones that turn up and buy the programmes not to the general folk of Batley.

Get the club mascot with a team of helpers at Tescos and at Junction 27 Retail Park armed with a fist-full’s of balloons and a reduced family ticket flyer including the details of the Superleague Season Ticket for £5 promotion. 

on alternate Saturdays, when these places are usually packed with locals.

How well published is SuperLeague season ticket entry for £5 'Adopt a Championship Club'?

Leeds, Bradford & Huddersfield had no game on Sunday, was there a  press release put out to these clubs/supporters clubs/fans forums offering such a promotion??

Dewsbury have forged links with Kirklees Active Leisure and the last two local derbies at Rams Stadium, there has been a free ticket offer to any KAL members if they email and register.

All I see at Batley Baths and Batley Sports and Tennis Centre is card board cut outs and posters for Huddersfield Town FC. Again home town sports club not recognised.

Little things that if done right and promoted properly could probably work over time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users