Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bulldogs v Swinton latest score

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

Maybe they dont know you are there is probably the truest point of all.

I live work breathe Swinton air and meet many many people every day. They know I love rugby and so often though they cant remember who the hell I follow. I get so mad when they say "youre from Salford,your new ground is nice I saw it from the motorway!"

I bite my fist and remind them that one of the greatest clubs in RL history comes from Swinton.

I know Batley cant say the same(ha ha) but in a small town its hard to believe the lack of awareness that must exist. 

Are balloons and mascots the answer? I dont think so. I dont know what is though because that FA cup final sent me to sleep and I fail to see why people wont come to watch our great sport but will waste time money and energy watching dross.  

This season in the championship is so short. Its disjointed from the trains cup ,then  a brief dalliance with the challenge cup ,and why our fixtures cant be home/away alternate weeks defies any logic.  

Its hard to keep track of things as a mad keen fan so god help the occasional visitor.

The product is great,but the administration,structure and marketing pathetic.

#42 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Agree DD

The club really needs to be more visible in the town, other than hitting the hardcore 600 that are continually putting into the coffers. 

Yes, we read every week KN comments on lack of funds & poor crowds. But KN is preaching to the ones that turn up and buy the programmes not to the general folk of Batley.

Get the club mascot with a team of helpers at Tescos and at Junction 27 Retail Park armed with a fist-full’s of balloons and a reduced family ticket flyer including the details of the Superleague Season Ticket for £5 promotion. 

on alternate Saturdays, when these places are usually packed with locals.

How well published is SuperLeague season ticket entry for £5 'Adopt a Championship Club'?

Leeds, Bradford & Huddersfield had no game on Sunday, was there a  press release put out to these clubs/supporters clubs/fans forums offering such a promotion??

Dewsbury have forged links with Kirklees Active Leisure and the last two local derbies at Rams Stadium, there has been a free ticket offer to any KAL members if they email and register.

All I see at Batley Baths and Batley Sports and Tennis Centre is card board cut outs and posters for Huddersfield Town FC. Again home town sports club not recognised.

Little things that if done right and promoted properly could probably work over time.

Great post Rab, also please check your PM's.

Edited by colinb, 13 May 2013 - 03:48 PM.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#43 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

I can put up a poster where there is a reasonable amount of foot traffic if they email me it I can print it and stick it up.

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#44 Rab C

Rab C
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Great post Rab, also please check your PM's.

Not a problem Colin.
Batley town centre may be on its Ar&e but as above the club needs to be promoted where the foot fall is. As previously mentioned, Tescos is the hub of this town. But it's got to be done right, no point doing half hearted for half an hour here and there. Batley Train Station is very busy at peak times through the week along with the popular aletrail run. Has the club been intouch with Northern Rail/Metro to get some posters up promoting the fixtures? SL ticket offer? Whilst all them sorry commuters sit and wait for their delayed trains.

How can mascots & ballons not be the way forward? My kids loves all that. You go to Headingley, Ronnie the Rhino is Mesmerising on match day and used commercially for party's & appearances other than just match days.

I witnessed Batler at a Brownhill School fair last yr. The kids loved him larking about.
As the club got an agenda of all the local school fairs? I'm sure again armed with some helpers, even a BISSA/ supporters club stall with family vouchers to hand/ SL promotion could raise the profile of the club.
It's been said before. Get the kids involved their parents will follow.

Alternatively ;
Forge ties with Fox's biscuits- giving the staff the opportunity of a limited number reduced price tickets. Providing they (Fox's) can gaurentee an colective 'x' anount of tickets demand each home game to benefit? The club could get this running then if/once an interest is generated, then dictate when the offer/fixture was next available- say when the crowds are anticipated to be low.

#45 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

I could also get a banner up on the Leeds/Huddersfield railway line letting all the train passengers between the two know the dogs exsist

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#46 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

There's a lot of good ideas on here, I agree with getting the mascot involved. My nephew loves to come to the games to see battler. He was gutted when he got there this week and battler wasn't haha.

We need to put some of these ideas into practice.

#47 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 662 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

Hunslet already have a poster for our next league match.

http://www.totalrl.c...r/#entry2694688

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users