Result v Batley

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Poor result today, unless things improve dramatically relegation to championship 1 beckons.

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Never really threatened the Batley line and the frustration was obvious at the end of the game of which the less said the better!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#3 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Dramatist.!! Last season at Batley, they put 60 points on us. Today at least two of their tries came from lucky bounces and a third the result of some heavy pressure aided by some very dubious refs decisions.

Edited by marshy1, 12 May 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#4 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

Your boys competed well, especially in the first half when you threw the ball about in a very threatening manner.

Just felt we were stronger and fitter overall.

Who was the guy who looked like he'd been dragged from the pub and could barely run? Don't like criticising players as they all deserve respect, but was very shocked at his very poor condition for this level.

#5 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

What was his number Nick ?

That was a HUGE howler from the officials 3 minutes from the end when they ALL missed Craig Harveys 40/20 kick. He was even lying injured inside his own 40 after the kick.

#6 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

Exactly Riggy, we all said that it had to be a 40/20 and we were over the other side of the ground.
Still I suppose it made up for the conversion that Moore kicked which both TJ's said wasn't. It sailed through straight and true.

#7 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

It may have been Morrison Riggy, but don't quote me. His lack of condition did surprise me though.

Felt a bit sorry for your fullback with the one he dropped which lead to a try as he'd had a very good game up to that point.

#8 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

I think that was the first ball he had dropped all season and it cost us dearly.

Any idea on the crowd figure Nick ?

#9 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Very very poor riggy, from a home point of view that is. We are in the top 4 and getting 5-700 unless we play the likes of Fev. Must be demoralising for the players and board.

#10 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

Well, it's a better result than last year! Try disallowed as Penny ran in front of the tackler. Richie drops the ball right in front of their winger and then the bounce for their second try. Don't get me wrong, Batley were better than us, but it probably makes them look better than they were.
The ref was awful IMO, both ways. The 4 pens in our own 10 metre line leading up to what I think was their 6th try was just laughable. Not sure what went on report other than, we punched them, they punched us back. If he'd have sin binned the players at the first tackle and played on, then there wouldn't have been an exact replica fight, one tackle later. Poor refereeing.

Losing a game like that will not relegate us. We need to beat the teams around us, starting with Dewsbury away in 2 weeks. Were 9th now, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if we finish 9th, we'll be playing Championship rugby next season.

#11 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Well, it's a better result than last year! Try disallowed as Penny ran in front of the tackler. Richie drops the ball right in front of their winger and then the bounce for their second try. Don't get me wrong, Batley were better than us, but it probably makes them look better than they were.
The ref was awful IMO, both ways. The 4 pens in our own 10 metre line leading up to what I think was their 6th try was just laughable. Not sure what went on report other than, we punched them, they punched us back. If he'd have sin binned the players at the first tackle and played on, then there wouldn't have been an exact replica fight, one tackle later. Poor refereeing.

Losing a game like that will not relegate us. We need to beat the teams around us, starting with Dewsbury away in 2 weeks. Were 9th now, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if we finish 9th, we'll be playing Championship rugby next season.

The second fracas started by Mills going in with the knees onto Lindsay when he was on the ground after the tackle. There's a fair chance the dvd won't show anything conclusive, as the infringement  occurred on teh other side of the ruck to the camera.

Don't have a clue what or who kicked off the first bout of fisticuffs.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#12 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 903 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

It was better than last season but not unwinnable! At half time we were only 12 behind and had had plenty of chances to score, 2 interceptions on their line and a few good positions under the posts. A great position to be in playing downhill with the wind in the second half. The Richie dropped ball and subsequent try seemed to knock the stuffing out of us for a time and we went to pot for a period.
What I thought we lacked was experience. No Smith, no Watson, no-one shouting all through the game like Briers did last week. We had a pretty young side out there today and we lacked guidance at times. Impressed by Sarsfield, Cooper in his second stint, Harvey at times. Barlow? A penalty machine unfortunately and most of his tackles aimed at head or shoulder level resulting in line breaks for them!
All in all, some things to work on before the next game. Patience, concentration and accuracy!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#13 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

Its fare to say batley was the better team today and we shouldn't ecspect to win there but if we sort some basic errors out today it could have been so diffdifferent. First half we made 3 good long distance breaks in to their 20, panicked and give the ball away on the 1st/2nd tackle. Numerous times we had 3/4 men in the tackle and still aloud batley to get the ball out, when you add all this to richies one off mistake, iansen kicking the ball out on the full with pretty much his first touch and the disallowed try due to penny, we pretty much give it to them.

I really want to see some improvement in our attack cos at times its shocking, cluless and sometimes none existent. Would it hurt us to stand deeper in attack?

Anyway always next week...

Wayne

#14 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

We missed Mark Smith today but he was ill so I hope he gets well soon.

What did people make of the 40-20 kicked by Harvey 3 MINS from time when he was left in a heap inside his own 40 after colliding with the Batley player ?

And Batley got the feed even though the ball went into touch about 15 metres from their line !.  Two tackles from the scrum came punch up number !

#15 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 903 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

Its fare to say batley was the better team today and we shouldn't ecspect to win there but if we sort some basic errors out today it could have been so diffdifferent. First half we made 3 good long distance breaks in to their 20, panicked and give the ball away on the 1st/2nd tackle. Numerous times we had 3/4 men in the tackle and still aloud batley to get the ball out, when you add all this to richies one off mistake, iansen kicking the ball out on the full with pretty much his first touch and the disallowed try due to penny, we pretty much give it to them.

I really want to see some improvement in our attack cos at times its shocking, cluless and sometimes none existent. Would it hurt us to stand deeper in attack?

Anyway always next week...

Wayne

Woah Wayne! The disallowed try due to Penny?
If it wasnt for Penny the defender would have caught him by the 20m line! Its always a fine line between defending the runner and blocking. It didnt run for us but it did for them when they obstructed Ryan Shaw after his chip through!

#16 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Im not having a go at penny, I was just saying if that decision goes our way then thats another thing that should of made it closer. Imo I think penny is good for us and we should use him more.

Wayne

#17 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 903 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Ok mate sorry. He chased down both interceptions in the first half, one by Campbell who is no slouch! That's where I thought we were short on composure. Fair enough, the first one was intercepted but for a second time? When they did exactly the same thing in the same place in the second half they nailed it!

#18 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

The second fracas started by Mills going in with the knees onto Lindsay when he was on the ground after the tackle. There's a fair chance the dvd won't show anything conclusive, as the infringement occurred on teh other side of the ruck to the camera.
Don't have a clue what or who kicked off the first bout of fisticuffs.

It was Gav Bennion from our lot in the first bit of fighting, don't know which Batley player was involved. Either way, I reckon the second lot of nonsense could have been avoided.

#19 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 903 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

Davies ran in first I think! Just a load of handbags but one of the Batley boys had long arms, he whacked Mills over the top of 3 of their players backs. Very brave!

#20 wberry2013

wberry2013
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

I seen the one mills took, I think in the second disagreement batleys number 14 (I think) thru 2 or 3 pretty good uppercuts, which makes me think, in super league if you punch someone its a red card but in championship 1 or 2 punches is ok, typical rugby league.

What happened to yellow cards ?

Ps im not saying swinton players were all innocent.

Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users