Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Challenge Cup Quarter Final draw

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#81 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

Two quarter-finals will be screened live on BBC2 on Saturday July 13 and Sunday July 14 and Sky Sports will screen the remaining two quarter-finals (if UK-based) on Friday July 12 and Monday July 15.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#82 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

That draw was done very well and I really liked the way the Breakfast team built it up, both just before the actual draw itself and also intermittently for an hour beforehand.  Good that they mentioned the proper rugby world cup as well!  And Tetley's got quite a few mentions so that should keep our sponsor happy!

Unless something radical happens at Widnes (or for that matter at Wigan), I'd say Wigan are through to the semis but aside from them the other matches could be won by either team.

They have also just made the draw their lead item on the sports news.

Edited by Saintslass, 18 May 2013 - 08:01 AM.

#83 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,583 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

That draw was done very well and I really liked the way the Breakfast team built it up, both just before the actual draw itself and also intermittently for an hour beforehand.  Good that they mentioned the proper rugby world cup as well!  And Tetley's got quite a few mentions so that should keep our sponsor happy!

They have also just made the draw their lead item on the sports news.

I didn't see the draw or the build up but credit where it's due. It seems like the BBC can do it when they want to. I just wish they took us this seriously all of the time.

rldfsignature.jpg

#84 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

Anyone but bloody Wire!

Come on giants, third time lucky eh!

#85 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Yarbles....

#86 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

It's a win-win draw for Sheffield and London, aside from neither side making any money from it. If London win, as expected, they're through to the Semis, which is good news for them and their beleagured fans. If the Eagles win then it's a big upset, shades of 98 etc etc. Basically, everyone wins (apart from the accountants)
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#87 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

It's a win-win draw for Sheffield and London, aside from neither side making any money from it. If London win, as expected, they're through to the Semis, which is good news for them and their beleagured fans. If the Eagles win then it's a big upset, shades of 98 etc etc. Basically, everyone wins (apart from the accountants)

Seconded. Potential for an upset at Sheffield.

Loved the bit where the presenter said "Rugby World Cup"!

#88 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

Seconded. Potential for an upset at Sheffield.

Loved the bit where the presenter said "Rugby World Cup"!

Yes, I chuckled. Somewhere Paley is cheering and the IRB are currently rushing the Cone of Silence to Media City at great haste
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#89 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Great for the game that either sheff or london will end up in the semi's

#90 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

Yes, I chuckled. Somewhere Paley is cheering and the IRB are currently rushing the Cone of Silence to Media City at great haste

:biggrin: 

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#91 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

Great for the game that either sheff or london will end up in the semi's

Great for London or Sheffield but bad for one of the semis(crowd wise). Maybe if it's Sheffield hold the semi at bramhall lane?

#92 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

Great draw and brilliant for the Broncos who should go though to the semis along with the Dragons,the only downside is that if either one of them get to the final it will effect the crowd badly (I bet the RFL bean counters will be having a few sleepless nights:)))))))

CM

If London get to the semis, the semi should be in the midlands (unless its against Les Cats - then it should be in Toulouse or Paris

#93 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

If London get to the semis, the semi should be in the midlands (unless its against Les Cats - then it should be in Toulouse or Paris

trouble is, the venues are probably already booked

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#94 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Great draw and brilliant for the Broncos who should go though to the semis along with the Dragons,the only downside is that if either one of them get to the final it will effect the crowd badly (I bet the RFL bean counters will be having a few sleepless nights:)))))))
CM

Can't see London getting to the final as they are a poor side but would love to see Catalans reach the final, would be a huge boost to league in France in world cup year.

#95 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,925 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Well this gives us an early chance to see if a top four Championship side can compete with a bottom four SL side!
Posted Image

#96 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Expect it to be in Leigh or Doncaster.

#97 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

I agree however dont expect more than around 3000 to make the trip from France,Wembley was only full last time the Dragons made it because of the novelty factor of being the first CC final back at the new stadium.
The average wage in Perpignan is around Euros 1250.00 a month for a family of 4 flights at that time of year hotels tickets food etc would cost around £ 2500/£3000 it is just financially impossible for the average dragons fan.
CM

Was the 2007 final with Catalans in it broadcast live on French tv? Also there must be a decent sized expat French community in London?

#98 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,925 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

Catalans playing in the semis hopefully won't be an issue ;)

Hull vs Sheffield at Doncaster in the semis.
Warrington vs Wigan
Posted Image

#99 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

Catalans playing in the semis hopefully won't be an issue ;)

Hull vs Sheffield at Doncaster in the semis.
Warrington vs Wigan

Lot of water to flow under the bridge before the quarters but playing the Dragons doesn't exactly fill me with dread, home or away.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#100 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Lot of water to flow under the bridge before the quarters but playing the Dragons doesn't exactly fill me with dread, home or away.

I am hoping it could be one of the telly games.