Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tony Smith

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

http://www.warringto...hip/?ref=twtrec 

Tony Smith: "I'm over us being innovative. What about us being stable, strong, consistent?

Very good points made I reckon...

Posted Image

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,806 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

He does make some good points around the whole leadership thing. I'm not overly comfortable with the way a lot of this discussion around structures is being done so publicly. I have no major issues with anything being taken off the table, but his point about just being given a multiple choice is a good one.

I'd rather have had some real strong recommendations - it sounds like that wasn;t the case. Still bring options and let people vote, but make it absolutely clear what the expected outcome of each decision is. I may be doing the leaders a dis-service as they may have done all this, but it's not the way it's coming across.

#3 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

I think he nails it on all counts - including his opinion on the points deduction for Salford.

#4 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,736 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Excellent.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#5 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

I reckon we need somebody at the head of Rugby League to take the 'bull by the horns' to take the game forward, we need more money in the game which takes strong leadership and a pathway to show our sport is the way to go! The young players and players need somewhere to play NOT dual registration! I think a SL1 and 2 is a way togo with a leader of the RFL going out there and getting enough money to fund it, full time! Look at the viewing figures for our sport, why do we get treated so badly?? Only a strong leader and a good leader can pull these things together because at the moment we have nobody!!

Posted Image

#6 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

Can we stop giving air time to Aussies or people infatuated with the NRL

#7 Scuuba

Scuuba
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

I think he make some VERY good points and probably speaks what a lot of people have been thinking.

But at the same time is it a good thing to have yet another contrasting opinion being aired in public, especially one undermining the management of the game?

You hope that these are the sorts of comments that would get made directly to the individuals involved, rather that to a newspaper as a rant. Otherwise these things become public mud-slinging matches that bring the game into a bad light. What's the bet that Koukash comes out now in rebuttal...

#8 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

I think he make some VERY good points and probably speaks what a lot of people have been thinking.

But at the same time is it a good thing to have yet another contrasting opinion being aired in public, especially one undermining the management of the game?

You're probably right, but at least it's a bit of balance on the structure side of things.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 12 May 2013 - 08:38 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#9 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

I was under the impression that the 20's ended at the behest of Super League chairmen.

The development of young players,particularly in the Championship,has been interrupted by clubs like Warrington,using  clubs like Swinton,for the not-so-young,returning from injury players,to gain some match fitness.

All I want now is for Salford City Reds to come out with some mitigating circumstances for their 14 players.....only seen by one man,at the time.

#10 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

I was under the impression that the 20's ended at the behest of Super League chairmen.

The development of young players,particularly in the Championship,has been interrupted by clubs like Warrington,using  clubs like Swinton,for the not-so-young,returning from injury players,to gain some match fitness.

All I want now is for Salford City Reds to come out with some mitigating circumstances for their 14 players.....only seen by one man,at the time.

I think Warrington were keen to keep the 20s.  They have made a mockery of dual reg though.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#11 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

Good interview, with some solid and well thought out points. Does he want a job at the RFL?

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,074 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

Tony Smith has an excellent track record as a CLUB manager. That is all.

#13 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

well, being that he is currently a club manager I suppose he wouldn't ask for any more. What else should he have an excellent track record in?

I however think he is a visionary and a great leader. Those who have played under him will tell you the same. He would make a very good director of the RFL.

#14 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

I think Warrington were keen to keep the 20s.  They have made a mockery of dual reg though.

Just to be murky, a cynic may think they are doing their best to undermine the system so it has to be scrapped next year. We can at least hope so.

Do we know which clubs voted in favour of Hetherington's dual registration idea?

#15 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

I however think he is a visionary and a great leader. Those who have played under him will tell you the same. He would make a very good director of the RFL.

He would be brilliant. I have heard him speak and he comes across really well.
But, he would need to learn to look into the camera and at the interviewer.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,806 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

Just to be murky, a cynic may think they are doing their best to undermine the system so it has to be scrapped next year. We can at least hope so.

Do we know which clubs voted in favour of Hetherington's dual registration idea?

yep, I made a similar point a while back. I do think Warrington may be pushing things to highlight some flaws in it.

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,074 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

well, being that he is currently a club manager I suppose he wouldn't ask for any more. What else should he have an excellent track record in?

GB manager?

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,806 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

GB manager?

I quite enjoyed the whitewashing of NZ, although yes the WC was a disappointment.

#19 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

Whatever way you look at it a 12 team premier level competition reduces the number of teams playing at the highest level. When you think one and possibly 2 of those teams are in France (and 2 could be in the same city) it paints the sport a
very minor player.

#20 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Tony Smith is the only person publicly speaking sense on this issue. P&R can't return. It is a relic of the past that will destroy the development of players in this country, as well as make a weaker league where the gap between big and small clubs (which has narrowed dramatically since licensing came in) grow wider.

Yes, certain posters on here, who have self-interest in their own tin-pot championship clubs want to see P&R return, but at what cost? It will set the game back 20 years here. It will destroy any chance England have of ever catching Australia. But that's ok, cos Leigh and Fev will get a chance to be in SL for a season every few years, and put out squads with 12 b-grade Aussies each and get tonked by 50 points each week. Self interest>progress of the game hey.

If SL must make changes for sustainability, then reduce to 12 teams. Axe Cas and HKR, as they have the most well-documented financial problems, and ultimately, SL is already represented by other clubs in their areas.

But whatever happens, don't bring back P&R. It would be a disaster

Edited by goldcoaster, 13 May 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users