Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tony Smith

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

I don't always agree with Smith's general thoughts on the game, but to dismiss them as moaning is to ignore (in true pig-headed RL fan style) the clarity of the arguments expressed here.

I would agree with those that say a head coach isn't the only stakeholder, but it certainly is one and requires consideration. Moreover, I often dismiss certain 'club views' as they are generally founded in self-interest and self-preservation, be it financial or whatever. I don't think you can say that's the case here, it's about youth development and the stability of the game.

Edited by Just Browny, 13 May 2013 - 05:55 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#22 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Axe Cas and HKR, as they have the most well-documented financial problems,

I thinkn Wakefield, Bradford and Salford have much more well-documented financial issue.

Don't be a bandwagoner
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#23 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

I thinkn Wakefield, Bradford and Salford have much more well-documented financial issue.

Don't be a bandwagoner

What do Cas fans think of the new proposals?  I've had a look around Casforum to try and see what the consensus is, but the subject has hardly registered.

#24 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

What do Cas fans think of the new proposals?  I've had a look around Casforum to try and see what the consensus is, but the subject has hardly registered.

I don't know all of them so can't comment- personally I don't care too much to be honest
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#25 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Tony Smith is the only person publicly speaking sense on this issue. P&R can't return. It is a relic of the past that will destroy the development of players in this country, as well as make a weaker league where the gap between big and small clubs (which has narrowed dramatically since licensing came in) grow wider.

Yes, certain posters on here, who have self-interest in their own tin-pot championship clubs want to see P&R return, but at what cost? It will set the game back 20 years here. It will destroy any chance England have of ever catching Australia. But that's ok, cos Leigh and Fev will get a chance to be in SL for a season every few years, and put out squads with 12 b-grade Aussies each and get tonked by 50 points each week. Self interest>progress of the game hey.

If SL must make changes for sustainability, then reduce to 12 teams. Axe Cas and HKR, as they have the most well-documented financial problems, and ultimately, SL is already represented by other clubs in their areas.

But whatever happens, don't bring back P&R. It would be a disaster

Another Aussie with crazy views which would kill RL in every town apart from the twelve already there. What you forget is that we dont have twelve big clubs and the fans of the others will never watch their poxy rivals who are no bigger really. Theyll just watch soccer

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,826 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Another Aussie with crazy views which would kill RL in every town apart from the twelve already there. What you forget is that we dont have twelve big clubs and the fans of the others will never watch their poxy rivals who are no bigger really. Theyll just watch soccer

are you always so closed minded based on where a person was born?
Isnt there a word for that kind of thing?

#27 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

are you always so closed minded based on where a person was born?
Isnt there a word for that kind of thing?

Eh? I have no idea where either of them was born but most Aussies (not all mind) dont seem to have much of a clue about how British sporting tradition works

Edited by Lobbygobbler, 13 May 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#28 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

What is crazy about his post? And please try to keep the hyperbole in check...

#29 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:06 AM

What is crazy about his post? And please try to keep the hyperbole in check...

It's crazy because closing the drawbridge forever to SL will kill off all clubs outside SL (inc. mine). It will slowly kill off the amateur game also in those places, thus reducing the number of players coming through. It will also mean many RL fans will be lost forever (inc. me) and cancel their sky subscriptions. It will also stifle expansion for potentially new ambitious clubs

Soccer's main asset is its sheer number of ambitious clubs. We should aim to follow a similar path and the only way to do this is in the UK to have a healthy P&R system.

#30 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

It's crazy because closing the drawbridge forever to SL will kill off all clubs outside SL (inc. mine). It will slowly kill off the amateur game also in those places, thus reducing the number of players coming through. It will also mean many RL fans will be lost forever (inc. me) and cancel their sky subscriptions. It will also stifle expansion for potentially new ambitious clubs
Soccer's main asset is its sheer number of ambitious clubs. We should aim to follow a similar path and the only way to do this is in the UK to have a healthy P&R system.

If you are right ( and I'm not saying your not) about the fans not being prepared to travel to another town to support a successful team,then that is different to the soccer model.
In soccer the big clubs have as many out of own supporters as residents. You see Leeds United, Liverpool and Man U shirts in every town across the land.
So, what does that say about our game itself? We claim its the TGG. We wonder why other people don't see that it's a much better game than soccer and miles better than rugby union ( I see more Leicester Tigers shirts in Coventry than I do Coventry RFC shirts, so in union fans will travel to watch a winning team)
If our game is that good why don't people flock to see the big teams?
Perhaps we are deluding ourselves
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#31 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

British RL is in no way comparable to British soccer though, and you're making a lot of hyperbolic predictions...

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,955 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

Eh? I have no idea where either of them was born but most Aussies (not all mind) dont seem to have much of a clue about how British sporting tradition works

which traditionn is that?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#33 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

It will also mean many RL fans will be lost forever (inc. me)

You've been threatening that for as long as I've known you...

I recall you telling me once that you were going to walk away from RL because they'd never allow Leigh into Superleague.  That must have been getting on for ten years back now.  

That's me.  I'm done.

#34 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

If you are right ( and I'm not saying your not) about the fans not being prepared to travel to another town to support a successful team,then that is different to the soccer model.
In soccer the big clubs have as many out of own supporters as residents. You see Leeds United, Liverpool and Man U shirts in every town across the land.
So, what does that say about our game itself? We claim its the TGG. We wonder why other people don't see that it's a much better game than soccer and miles better than rugby union ( I see more Leicester Tigers shirts in Coventry than I do Coventry RFC shirts, so in union fans will travel to watch a winning team)
If our game is that good why don't people flock to see the big teams?
Perhaps we are deluding ourselves

There are lots of out of town United fans - but they have always been fans of that club. Its almost unheard of in football for fans to turncoat

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,826 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

which traditionn is that?

the British one. Keep things British! 

Don't let those foreigners have a say in our game!

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,826 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

There are lots of out of town United fans - but they have always been fans of that club. Its almost unheard of in football for fans to turncoat

What are you banging on about? How the hell do you know that?

I know a few people who have different clubs that they support. I know a person who used to support Rangers and now supports Celtic (an extreme example to be fair!) - I know a Spurs fan who is now a Man U fan and so on.

#37 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,194 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

He's not right because I meet RL fans who simply do what soccer fans do. Choose whichever club they want to watch and change clubs when it suits.

Others on here have also contributed their experiences of how fans will pick, choose and travel from all over to watch clubs, especially the top clubs.

#38 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Jesus wept

#39 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,094 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

Do you mean the long tradition in RL of not having P&R.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#40 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

Do you mean the long tradition in RL of not having P&R.

We had P&R for most of the last 40 years. Before then everyone had a crack at each other. Are you saying we should go back to one division?

Edited by Lobbygobbler, 14 May 2013 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users