Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League in the UK has become insular and self absorbed

Leadership of the sport

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

Why do you always look for and comment on our clubs failures instead of our clubs positives? Once a capper always a capper but in your case that doesn't mean a thing to you does it? (A true capper I think not). The BOD we have got now is probably the best BOD we have ever had and all you can do is knock our club.( that club you used to support may I add).

He's not knocking anyone from what I can see.  He's merely providing balance.  There's nothing wrong with a bit of honesty.  I'm fiercely against my club Wakefield merging with any other club, but I'm willing to point out that shareholders did vote to enter merger talks back when superleague was started.  

Perhaps Frank is pointing out that when people at Rovers take the "look at us, look how well we've done all off our own backs etc" there's more to it than meets the eye.

Nothing wrong with a bit of balance.

What was the insurance situation when that social club in the car park at Post Office Road burnt down?

#22 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

the fire meant that the club had a modern but ill designed main stand 

Spot on, whoever decided to wire the mic up that was in front of Mullaney to the speakers really made a blunder.

#23 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,108 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

The fire worked out pretty well in the end then.

it could have been worse: the club would have been stuck with a death trap like castleford's

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#24 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,108 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

Spot on, whoever decided to wire the mic up that was in front of Mullaney to the speakers really made a blunder.

certainly in the light of the notorious huddersfield Giants' debacle. To be fair Mr Mullaney did a brilliant job, only bettered by the recently departed Chris Jefferson of Ridings FM

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 13 May 2013 - 04:11 PM.

Keeping it local

#25 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,108 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

He's not knocking anyone from what I can see.  He's merely providing balance.  There's nothing wrong with a bit of honesty.  I'm fiercely against my club Wakefield merging with any other club, but I'm willing to point out that shareholders did vote to enter merger talks back when superleague was started.  

Perhaps Frank is pointing out that when people at Rovers take the "look at us, look how well we've done all off our own backs etc" there's more to it than meets the eye.

What was the insurance situation when that social club in the car park at Post Office Road burnt down?

the posh penguin as it for some reason became known was not owned by the club at the time of its demise. It was originally buiilt by the club in 1967 in the wake of the club's challenge cup win. For some reason it failed to prosper.

Keeping it local

#26 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,108 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

Why do you always look for and comment on our clubs failures instead of our clubs positives? Once a capper always a capper but in your case that doesn't mean a thing to you does it? (A true capper I think not). The BOD we have got now is probably the best BOD we have ever had and all you can do is knock our club.( that club you used to support may I add).

I do no such thing: open your other eye

I have never criticised the current regime at the club some of them are good friends of mine

no the capper shtick doesn't apply to me: some things are more important.

Keeping it local

#27 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

I honestly don't see how the business model for this split leagues thing can work. It's a bit like a schools grading system to try and get competitive games. As I've said on another thread, I don't think that there is the playing depth for more than 10 teams at the top level, I think the financial kid match will make the middle lot just daft. For once I agree with tony smith

#28 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Haha, like it Larry. There were times when I wished it hadn't been wired up as well let me tell you.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#29 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

it could have been worse: the club would have been stuck with a death trap like castleford's

I'm no expert on these things, but I am amazed that it gets a safety certificate.  Like I said though, I'm not expert on fire risk/structures.

I remember the West stand a Belle Vue, it can't have been any worse than the stand at Castleford but it came down pretty sharpish after the fire at Valley Parade.  It was also a fine piece of architecture.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 13 May 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#30 Agbrigg

Agbrigg
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

Just to help you out here.

At the time in question Wakefield were forced to pull down their main stand ,which for those that don't know was along the touchline where those few portacabins are now.

Where the benidorm flats now stand there was  a large terraced bank with a good covered stand. The dimensions were very simillar to what still exists at the other end of the pitch. They were forced to remove all of this.

They also had a decent set of floodlights on 8 pylons (4 down eac side) these were at the back of the stands behind the spectators. These were probably some of the newest in the league at the time. However they also had to demolish these and replace them with the present ones.

This came as a masive blow to the club and it is still feeling the effects today.

However the same local authority that forced these demands onto Wakefield completely ignored the wooden main stand at castleford and their much older floodlights were also allowed to remain. Health and safety has moved on greatly since those days but people in power still turn a blind eye to that main stand at Castleford which should have been pulled down years ago.

#31 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

At the time in question Wakefield were forced to pull down their main stand ,which for those that don't know was along the touchline where those few portacabins are now.

Where the benidorm flats now stand there was  a large terraced bank with a good covered stand. The dimensions were very simillar to what still exists at the other end of the pitch. They were forced to remove all of this.

They also had a decent set of floodlights on 8 pylons (4 down eac side) these were at the back of the stands behind the spectators. These were probably some of the newest in the league at the time. However they also had to demolish these and replace them with the present ones.

This came as a masive blow to the club and it is still feeling the effects today.

However the same local authority that forced these demands onto Wakefield completely ignored the wooden main stand at castleford and their much older floodlights were also allowed to remain. Health and safety has moved on greatly since those days but people in power still turn a blind eye to that main stand at Castleford which should have been pulled down years ago.

That doesn't tally with my memory, I thought that the terracing had been demolished as part of a hair-brained scheme to build a supermarket where the flats are now, and I seem to think that this was well before the Bradford City fire.

#32 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Belle Vue was a fantastic ground and as Larry says, the old main stand was a magnificent and unique feature. The story of its demise is a sorry one especially in view of the apparent comparative leniency afforded to Cas. For some reason I was always under the impression that the big covered terrace was demolished on the say so of chairman, Trevor Woodward who had plans for improved development at that end of the ground but obviously never happened. Have I got that wrong?

#33 Agbrigg

Agbrigg
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

No it was deemed to be unsafe and unstable and too near to the houses behind it. The council said it had to be strenghtened or removed. The club went for the least cost option and then decided to make something out of a bad job and came up with the Woodward scheme.

#34 Agbrigg

Agbrigg
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

By the way, The Woodward plan was to knock down the South Terrace which he did. Then remove the present North terrace. Move the ground 20/30 yards south and build the supermarket where the present North Terrace is.

#35 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

By the way, The Woodward plan was to knock down the South Terrace which he did. Then remove the present North terrace. Move the ground 20/30 yards south and build the supermarket where the present North Terrace is.

Thanks for that Agbrigg, looks like Trinity felt the full weight of the safety regs

#36 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

No it was deemed to be unsafe and unstable and too near to the houses behind it. The council said it had to be strenghtened or removed. The club went for the least cost option and then decided to make something out of a bad job and came up with the Woodward scheme.

I can't question the decision by the council, as I'm not sure whether or not my memory of the stand is real or peiced together from watching This Sporting Life.  If you know more please post more, this is fascinating to me.  Can you remember the timing of the demolition?  I'm fairly certain it was well before the Bradford fire.

I had always wondered how they were going to fit a supermarket at the southern end.  That would be one hell of a civil engineering project to move the north bank, and dare I say it a completely unsuitable place to put a supermarket.  I don't suppose you know the chain involved do you?

#37 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for that Agbrigg, looks like Trinity felt the full weight of the safety regs

I have no issue with that, so long as they were appropriate.  That stand was brilliant though, if a little small.

#38 Agbrigg

Agbrigg
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

The South bank was just a large as the North bank so yes it was a massive civil engineering project just to remove it.

Unlike today where you would fence it off and pull it down it wasn't done like that. The stand was actually used whilst the work was taking place. The covered stand was removed first whilst the terracing was still in use. The terracing was removed from top to bottom because I can remember watching a game stood on the last few yards of remaing terrace.

Time wise I would say around 1977  but the work could have taken a season to complete

I can't question the decision by the council, as I'm not sure whether or not my memory of the stand is real or peiced together from watching This Sporting Life.  If you know more please post more, this is fascinating to me.  Can you remember the timing of the demolition?  I'm fairly certain it was well before the Bradford fire.

I had always wondered how they were going to fit a supermarket at the southern end.  That would be one hell of a civil engineering project to move the north bank, and dare I say it a completely unsuitable place to put a supermarket.  I don't suppose you know the chain involved do you?

#39 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

The South bank was just a large as the North bank so yes it was a massive civil engineering project just to remove it.

Unlike today where you would fence it off and pull it down it wasn't done like that. The stand was actually used whilst the work was taking place. The covered stand was removed first whilst the terracing was still in use. The terracing was removed from top to bottom because I can remember watching a game stood on the last few yards of remaing terrace.

Time wise I would say around 1977  but the work could have taken a season to complete

Thanks.  You and Terry would have been around forty back then I'd guess.

#40 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,108 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

The main stand at Castleford whilst being obsolete conforms to safety standards. No favouritism was shown to the club by the council. The law is the law and the stand and the way it is used conforms to it. The current main stand at Belle Vue: the east stand  is as obsolete as the main stand at Castleford and has similar issues- and as with Castleford's conforms with the law.

It was the entirely Club's decision to demolish the beautiful if inadequate West Stand at Belle Vue. They chose not to go to the expense of making it conform with the law.

The Agbrigg Road end was demolished in 1979, taking the fairly modern covering with it. It became a farm building and might well still exist. This as has been said was part of an abortive super market development.

What has happened at Belle Vue was entirely relative to decision making at the club.

I dont know what people are getting nostalgic about the old Belle Vue Floodlights for, they as with the Castleford ones interrupted sight lines and gave poor illumination. The current ones are superb.

Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users