RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Greenwich Admirals call it a day

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

Gone... apparently. Open Age and Junior/Youth. Sad, if true. 

Posted Image

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,588 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

Very sad.

The RLC used to have more clubs each year but right now it's one in, one out.

#3 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

Very sad.

The RLC used to have more clubs each year but right now it's one in, one out.

I've said it a few times now, the RFL was doing a far better job when it ran the RLC in and around 2004, It allowed players from other winter sports including Rugby League to dip their toe into the game or have a summer jolly, the 6 team divisions where ideal, IMO the competition started to crumble when the RFL started to push the game instead of allowing it to grow at it's own pace.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#4 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

I've said it a few times now, the RFL was doing a far better job when it ran the RLC in and around 2004, It allowed players from other winter sports including Rugby League to dip their toe into the game or have a summer jolly, the 6 team divisions where ideal, IMO the competition started to crumble when the RFL started to push the game instead of allowing it to grow at it's own pace.

Nice to see you again on Saturday, Jim.

It's difficult because some clubs were asking for more. When you have players and clubs getting frustrated with 10 game seasons and wanting more what do you do?

Coventry, Nottingham, Bristol and St Albans for example have developed out of the 10 game season and are able to compete in a full season, with second teams in the shorter season.

As you well know, amateur rugby league clubs all over the country, including heartlands, are fragile entities that rely on volunteers who for any reason can disappear off the scene and without them the club is gone.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#5 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Isn't there a new club nearby in Beckenham? It just seems bizarre that new clubs are allowed to spring up when there is an existing one that could be strengthened instead of challenged.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#6 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Isn't there a new club nearby in Beckenham? It just seems bizarre that new clubs are allowed to spring up when there is an existing one that could be strengthened instead of challenged.

Welcome to rugby league. So many clubs have been started by someone who has left an existing club after an argument, or by people who want to be in charge straight away or enjoy designing logos and ordering kits. Typically they don't last, but can do a lot of damage. Might not be the case here, of course.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#7 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Nice to see you again on Saturday, Jim.

It's difficult because some clubs were asking for more. When you have players and clubs getting frustrated with 10 game seasons and wanting more what do you do?

Coventry, Nottingham, Bristol and St Albans for example have developed out of the 10 game season and are able to compete in a full season, with second teams in the shorter season.

As you well know, amateur rugby league clubs all over the country, including heartlands, are fragile entities that rely on volunteers who for any reason can disappear off the scene and without them the club is gone.

I know what you mean Tim, it's a pity the RFL don't realise once you've ###### these people off it's hard to get them back and the type of people who where used as their disciples also tend to be the one's who move a lot more with their jobs. Going back to the four teams that look to be going strong out of the old RLC, that's good, but how many clubs/teams are not playing now the RLC has gone and how many players does that mean are no longer putting their boots on in the summer.

What is the answer?

#8 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Good post tim2. Been watching that happening for 40 years now!

#9 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

Noticed that Sussex defeated Greenwich on Saturday, so I profess to be confused! The news circulating at the Bears vs Chargers game on Saturday was that the Admirals had gone!

Posted Image

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

Noticed that Sussex defeated Greenwich on Saturday, so I profess to be confused! The news circulating at the Bears vs Chargers game on Saturday was that the Admirals had gone!

Was that a real score or do they still generate them?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#11 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

The open age played on Saturday in a London Cup Game.

They are not allowed to have juniors/youth this year due to various disclipline problems last year.

#12 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

They are called Beckenham Bears

#13 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

The open age played on Saturday in a London Cup Game.

They are not allowed to have juniors/youth this year due to various disclipline problems last year.

Fair enough, cheers. I knew that the juniors/youth had received a sanction. I understand that all ages were barred from playing because of issues at U16. 

Just out of interest what is the name of the new club in Beckenham (I lived the first 21 years of my life there and played football and rugby for the local clubs) are they at BRUFC?

CM

Nat West Sports ground

Posted Image

#14 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,450 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

I know what you mean Tim, it's a pity the RFL don't realise once you've ###### these people off it's hard to get them back and the type of people who where used as their disciples also tend to be the one's who move a lot more with their jobs. Going back to the four teams that look to be going strong out of the old RLC, that's good, but how many clubs/teams are not playing now the RLC has gone and how many players does that mean are no longer putting their boots on in the summer.

What is the answer?

One of the real problems (there were many) was the RFL's inability that trying to implement a one-size-fits-all strategy across the country was a foolish endeavour.

Some clubs were desperate for longer seasons between around 2004-07 and suffered as a result; others were pushed beyond their natural capacity by the same demands.

The RFL also fell into the trap of admitting phantom clubs (again in the interests of symmetry) rather than asking them to test their worth first and was too slow in grasping the merit league concept.

#15 bulldog_paddy

bulldog_paddy
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Beckenham Bears were formed as a result of Greenwich going and not vice versa. Ok not 100% true but they certainly weren't responsible for their downfall

Edited by bulldog_paddy, 13 May 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#16 Stew R

Stew R
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

What is the answer?

In all clubs this is a constant drain on volunteers and those clubs with only a few people running them it has a bigger impact, sometimes fatal.
In my experience the RFL pay only lip service to the theory of valuing their volunteers.
Personally I've told my club I'll volunteer now but only to a level which means I don't have to have direct dealings with the RFL
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."

#17 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

Beckenham Bears were formed as a result of Greenwich going and not vice versa. Ok not 100% true but they certainly weren't responsible for their downfall

Sorry to drag this one up but all the guys involved with the Beckenham committee are either ex-Storm guys or have no previous connection with an RL club.  The Bears were formed this past winter and we were excited to play against our near-neighbour.   Obviously, there are ex-Admirals in the Beckenham ranks but they were players who'd drifted away from Greenwich.  Beckenham's relationship with Greenwich is good, the real problem for Greenwich was the sanction which saw them stripped of their youth system.  Like most rugby clubs of either code, the juniors bring in the cash that supports the senior structure.  Without the juniors and struggling for numbers in the seniors, the club had no reason to continue this season and their remaining players have split roughly 50-50 between Beckenham and Newham.

I think the LYJL maybe cut off their nose to spite their face, given they've lost one of the best junior teams in London, perhaps permanently.  If the club can be put back together next season or the year after - I don't know how long this sanction will last - we'll all be better for it.   Personally, I'm of the view that clubs in London need to come together a bit more, try and work for the greater good, such as schools participation and facilities.  However, as was pointed out in another thread, the transient nature of club admins makes this virtually impossible.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#18 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Sorry to drag this one up but all the guys involved with the Beckenham committee are either ex-Storm guys or have no previous connection with an RL club.  The Bears were formed this past winter and we were excited to play against our near-neighbour.   Obviously, there are ex-Admirals in the Beckenham ranks but they were players who'd drifted away from Greenwich.  Beckenham's relationship with Greenwich is good, the real problem for Greenwich was the sanction which saw them stripped of their youth system.  Like most rugby clubs of either code, the juniors bring in the cash that supports the senior structure.  Without the juniors and struggling for numbers in the seniors, the club had no reason to continue this season and their remaining players have split roughly 50-50 between Beckenham and Newham.

I think the LYJL maybe cut off their nose to spite their face, given they've lost one of the best junior teams in London, perhaps permanently.  If the club can be put back together next season or the year after - I don't know how long this sanction will last - we'll all be better for it.   Personally, I'm of the view that clubs in London need to come together a bit more, try and work for the greater good, such as schools participation and facilities.  However, as was pointed out in another thread, the transient nature of club admins makes this virtually impossible.

Just looking at London itself, not the surrounding counties, London RL lists Hammersmith, Skolars, South West, Elmbridge, Greenwich, Newham, Staines, Beckenham, Barking, Mudchute and Thames Ditton. Eleven clubs running teams at senior level. And then Croydon, Brixton, Richmond, Charlton, Brentwood running juniors only.

Some of those are literally next door to one another. Surely it would be better all round for some of those to come together to create stronger clubs, rather than competing with one another? It just doesn't seem like there are enough players, volunteers, etc for the current set up.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#19 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

I actually think we have too little rugby league, certainly at junior level.  There's a vast swathes of London with nothing.  You have Stanley Park and Carshalton Boys playing RL but 1) the contact between clubs and schools isn't good enough and 2) there's no Carshalton/Sutton-based team to take advantage of it.  There's no junior RL between Staines and Tottenham, where Skolars play.  When I hear people say how well we're doing in London and what a good job the RFL are doing, I wonder what perverse criteria are being used to decide this is a success?  And we're all tenants, nobody owns as much as a vegetable patch on an allotment.

Only Staines and Richmond aside are close to each other but they were both Wests "cluster" clubs, as Brixton and Croydon (and previously Addington and Wandsworth) were for Souths.  Mudchute are basically an occasional team for former University of Newcastle players without a home ground, you can't consider them a real club in that respect.  Whether they should consider a merger with Newham is for them to decide.  However, I don't think the problem is too many clubs, it's that we have no unified strategy.  Why shouldn't there be a club in Beckenham and one in Greenwich?  It's far enough away, there are enough people.

Edited by bbfaz, 03 July 2013 - 12:12 PM.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#20 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

I actually think we have too little rugby league, certainly at junior level.  There's a vast swathes of London with nothing.  You have Stanley Park and Carshalton Boys playing RL but 1) the contact between clubs and schools isn't good enough and 2) there's no Carshalton/Sutton-based team to take advantage of it.  There's no junior RL between Staines and Tottenham, where Skolars play.  When I hear people say how well we're doing in London and what a good job the RFL are doing, I wonder what perverse criteria are being used to decide this is a success?  And we're all tenants, nobody owns as much as a vegetable patch on an allotment.

Only Staines and Richmond aside are close to each other but they were both Wests "cluster" clubs, as Brixton and Croydon (and previously Addington and Wandsworth) were for Souths.  Mudchute are basically an occasional team for former University of Newcastle players without a home ground, you can't consider them a real club in that respect.  Whether they should consider a merger with Newham is for them to decide.  However, I don't think the problem is too many clubs, it's that we have no unified strategy.  Why shouldn't there be a club in Beckenham and one in Greenwich?  It's far enough away, there are enough people.

It's simple why in one word, "Volunteer's"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users