New Structure.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

The proposed new structure is attracting some very bad reviews, not least by Tony Smith, coach to Warrington Wolves. Apparently, since the four possible plans were put forward with the powers that be at Red Hall pushing for their favourite there have been some real objections by all and sundry.

The RFL preferred option is as follows;

At the end of 2014 Super League is to be reduced to 12 clubs with two clubs relegated to the Championship which will then be called Super League 2. The Championship, herein referred to as SL2 will be reduced to 12 clubs as well.

Season 2015 would start with the two Super Leagues playing half of the season, 11 games, 5 home, 5 away and the Magic Weekend, whereupon the bottom four of SL will jopin the top 4 of SL2 to form a division of 8 clubs.

These divisions will then play each other twice with Play-offs at the end of the season. This will end up with the top 4 in the intermediate division going into SL and the bottom 4 dropping into SL2

The bottom club in SL2 would be relegated to the Championship with the top club in the Championship being promoted to SL2.

As ever with Red Hall the Devil is in the detail and this crux of the matter is funding.

SL will continue to get £1.2M whilst SL2 will get £180,000 and the Championship clubs will get....well if there's anything else left they will get a sniff I suppose.

How SL2 clubs are expected to cope with a season of 14 games against four teams when they get a mere 15% of the level of funding beats me and I dare say it probably beats most people as well.

As I said, Tony Smith has blasted the deal and made a thinly veiled criticism of Nigel Wood in today's League Express, but surprise surprise Nigel has his fingers in his ears and is going LA LA LA LA.

What do you think?

It might be an idea to get letters or emails off to the Rugby Press and the RFL to show where we stand!

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#2 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

It looks exactly as I suspected it would SL & SL2 with Championship 1 being treated pretty much as the amateur clubs are now.

It sucks, but, with ever decreasing numbers watching the sport live, and frankly p**s poor commentary, when and where it is shoe-horned into scheduling, what more can we expect?
Living life in such a way, that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan says "Oh *@$^! She's awake!"

#3 Hornets are u ready ready

Hornets are u ready ready
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

Once again it's a case of 'let's just look after the super league teams and every one can just filter in around it'. The game will never expand or become more popular with ideas like this

#4 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

What the game needs more than anything else is stability instead of the annual' lets screw around witht he divisions/points/structure'.

The vast majority of people with a passing interest in the game have no idea what the latest form is.Its the fast road to oblivion for all but the SL.

#5 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

But immediate action is needed because if a thing is broken it needs fixing and judging the current attendances, especially in the lower leagues, somethong is very wrong.

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#6 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Yes, and it is who is running the game and how they are running it.

#7 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Who would that be then. The RFL or Hornets ? Or don't I need to ask. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, and it is who is running the game and how they are running it.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#8 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Its the respective clubs that rule the game, the RL merely administer what the clubs have voted on.

Just like all other sports its the TV rights that really are running the game.

If they are paying the piper then they, quite rightly, rule the roost ;)

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#9 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

Well it can't be both the clubs and the TV companies.

If its the clubs then they must have been on something for them to have voted for both the quantity and range of silly ideas we have witnessed at the semi pro level.   No one ever seems to want to hold their hand up to admit to voting for these changes.

Other sports have significant TV contracts but they havent changed structure constantly (one exception might be the silly old fools who run cricket).  Why the RFL?

#10 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

The League Express online comment on this story contains:

"Yeah, if what I have been told is correct then the 14 teams in the initial 3rd tier will be joined by 2 new clubs (probably Coventry and ANOther). These 16 clubs will be placed into 2 conferences of 8 clubs. The winners of the conferences will then play a Grand Final for 1 promotion place each season. Or something like that."

Has Hornets received any official notice of proposals inc. funding affecting clubs below the "elite" and if so will clubs/members be asked to comment and ultimately vote on them?

#11 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

More expansion!  Well I suppose the success of the last expansion justifies that.  I seem to recall a piece in a recent RLW which said that Coventry were advised last year to delay their application to join for a year and it would be sort of guaranteed.  My memory might be playing tricks though.

Who will be ANother?  Bristol?

#12 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

More expansion!  Well I suppose the success of the last expansion justifies that.  I seem to recall a piece in a recent RLW which said that Coventry were advised last year to delay their application to join for a year and it would be sort of guaranteed.  My memory might be playing tricks though.

Who will be ANother?  Bristol?

"Who will be ANother?  Bristol?"

The Amsterdam Orange Men or

The Patagonian Sheep or

The Copenhagen Vikings or

Rochdale Mayfield?
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#13 Snoopy Loopy

Snoopy Loopy
  • Coach
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Or Rochdale Cobras? 

#14 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

I don't think the Cobras Snoopy but don't Mayfield have plans from 2015 onwards?
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#15 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

In a word !...........NO !

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . . . . . . . Which one did you perform? "

Andy 'Ghosty' Rogose is Ghostbuster

(Vice Chairman Rochdale Fijian Association) (Member Rochdale Mayfield A.R.L.F.C)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users