Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gareth Hock in trouble again.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,314 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

http://www.loverugby...ee-contact.html

Did anyone actually see what happened.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 13 May 2013 - 04:17 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#2 irishfan

irishfan
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

What a crazy man.

He is must watch TV though. Never know what he'll do next.

#3 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

Any one see the Paterson on green 1, how bad was it? Sounded bad on radio but there always do

#4 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Any one see the Paterson on green 1, how bad was it? Sounded bad on radio but there always do

Must have been pretty bad given the Grade D charge (3-5 I believe) and no EGP.  Apparently Green was unconscious for a little while? 

#5 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

This is turning into a bit of a witch hunt"found guilty" surely there is a process to find him guilty? IF and I mean IF (in my experience mr Stokes has lied to disciplinarieas in the past) Hock has assaulted him, WHY was he not dismissed from the field??????

I have to agree.

Let's see what happens before we condemn Hock on this occasion.  That said we're talking about Hock here, the serial offending marquee loan signing for Widnes.  Whatever the outcome, the sooner he clears off to the NRL the better. 

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#6 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,921 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

It's a complete mystery what Hock did because nobody at the game seems to have seen any incident with the referee.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#7 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

poor gaz hock i feel for him ,his rep goes before him sometimes which is wrong. Bet he can't wait to get to oz

He deserves his reputation though and it was his own decision to get that reputation in the first place.  He's a grown man.  He obviously did something to the ref to get a charge in the first place.  Whether it is a valid charge remains to be seen.  He has his chance at Red Hall, same as the others who don't have an EGP option.

I don't feel sorry for him at all and personally I'll be glad when he goes to Australia. 

#8 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,314 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

He deserves his reputation though and it was his own decision to get that reputation in the first place.  He's a grown man.  He obviously did something to the ref to get a charge in the first place.  Whether it is a valid charge remains to be seen.  He has his chance at Red Hall, same as the others who don't have an EGP option.

I don't feel sorry for him at all and personally I'll be glad when he goes to Australia. 

The point being,if he did something to the ref,why didn't he take action there and then?

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#9 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

The point being,if he did something to the ref,why didn't he take action there and then?

I've never known a ref to act on behaviour towards themselves other than over back chat, when I have seen the odd player sinbinned.  Sam Tomkins springs to mind, as does Jamie Peacock on Maundy Thursday.  Maybe they are not allowed to take action themselves for anything other than back chat?  They may need a third party to judge?  I would imagine the judge of the judges can only ever be separate from the whole action otherwise refs would lose their impartial status and be open to accusations of subjective involvement.

Edited by Saintslass, 13 May 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#10 dinosore

dinosore
  • Coach
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

Dosen't Hock have previous for grabbing a refs shirt ? the article says facing a 3 game ban ( if found guilty) an amateur player would be banned sine die with a minimum of 2 years to serve before they could apply to have the ban lifted.

#11 Viking Ste

Viking Ste
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

The ref did 'fall on his backside' at one point in the game, didn't see if he was pushed or just slipped on a boggy surface!

#12 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Blimey, did he hit him that hard?

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#13 one shot

one shot
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Dosen't Hock have previous for grabbing a refs shirt ? the article says facing a 3 game ban ( if found guilty) an amateur player would be banned sine die with a minimum of 2 years to serve before they could apply to have the ban lifted.

And that's what's wrong with the game! Same laws, different rules! If an amateur abuses a ref(as Hock did earlier in season) the book is thrown at him. What I'm saying is, surely if you have been assaulted you know! We can't have referees assaulted or abused, but at the same time we can't have all this AFTER a game! For example, did the referee'get in the way' of a tackle? If so, is that assault? Is the ref not'part of the pitch'?

#14 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:37 PM

If Hock thinks he's under unfair scrutiny now, wait until he gets to the NRL. 

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,084 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Probably picked up by the match review panel. First I'd heard of it yesterday when the citings were announced.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,084 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

And that's what's wrong with the game! Same laws, different rules! If an amateur abuses a ref(as Hock did earlier in season) the book is thrown at him. What I'm saying is, surely if you have been assaulted you know! We can't have referees assaulted or abused, but at the same time we can't have all this AFTER a game! For example, did the referee'get in the way' of a tackle? If so, is that assault? Is the ref not'part of the pitch'?

Aren't they different rules because all amateurs can do is miss games? They don't get much money (if any) in order to fine them, whereas professionals can be hit harder in the pocket.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Utter drivel! If you strike a referee you walk! That's the way it always has been! If you stick the nutvon a ref he doesnt have to wait for a third party to judge ot, your off, probably sine die, and rightly so!

What if he was pushed from behind? Does the ref assume it was intentional and send him off?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#18 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,921 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

I'll say it again, nobody who was at the game saw anything untoward and there was no mention of it in any press match reports. There was certainly no big incident or anything that could be construed as a deliberate assault of a referee. The only confrontation between Hock and Stokes was when Hock mouthed off at him after a penalty was given against him and got marched back another 10 because of it, but here was certainly no physical contact in that incident. If Hock has made contact with the referee at some point then it must have been very slight and certainly not worthy of any sort of ban. Mind you, we had Jamie Thackray sent off earlier this season for 'intimidating hand gestures' towards a referee which basically involved walking towards him with clenched fists so who knows ?

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#19 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,847 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

3 posts deleted, 1 original and 2 quoting it that wouldn't have made sense with the quote deleted.  A post that went beyond the acceptable level of referee abuse.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,084 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Perhaps it wasn't on the field?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users