Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Team for Hunslet and predictions

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#101 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Yes fair enough , but my point is an over reliance on these players in terms of your teams performance . That would worry me a bit .

#102 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Yeah David if you look at the league, the teams that use the dr the most york swinton and hunslet are all in the bottom half of the league,getting five academy players in your team is a big risk,as most have never played at championship level??

#103 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

Both the mentioned players were playing up here a couple of weeks ago, they didn't make the difference then did they? Both good players though. If our pack takes control like they did last time I can't see any reason why the result shouldn't be similar. I heard Mongy is struggling with his hand and shoulder. Hope he gets a weeks rest to let them heal.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#104 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Yeah David if you look at the league, the teams that use the dr the most york swinton and hunslet are all in the bottom half of the league,getting five academy players in your team is a big risk,as most have never played at championship level??

Its as you say marra wigan ,  saints and leeds could put their u21 sides in this league and all 3 would struggle against battle hardened teams with experienced players sure you lot would rather have stack , thackray and phillips every week rather than 3 young widnes lads 

#105 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

I think what i am trying to get over his ok if you have a lot of injury,s then you could have no option, but unless you can get a player or two that is going to make an impack ok again, but to play 3 or 4 academy lads in your team????.

#106 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

The two players not selected out of the 19 man squad for Widnes are Gore and Macgraff Leuluai. If we do need DR then Macgraff would be most useful (second row). I think he qualifies for DR ( born in Wakefield).

#107 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

The two players not selected out of the 19 man squad for Widnes are Gore and Macgraff Leuluai. If we do need DR then Macgraff would be most useful (second row). I think he qualifies for DR ( born in Wakefield).

weve been offered macgraff before but turned it down. dont think hell be called upon this time either, think it will be same as last time with walne in for cotter and im pretty sure forber is in the 17, so him in with connor at half,lupton at 13 and olstrum at hooker with matty. callum has a slight knock so hell probably take the rest.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#108 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

shot down again talking rubbish about haven,your focus isnt solely on town as your constantly talking about haven. :sleep:

Okay BTO (is that back to championship one for us or your lot ?) i'ts quite obvious you aren't Choccy as you seem to have SOME common sense. In defence of David may I remind you  that it is you who keeps coming on OUR forum and I think you will find nearly all of his posts are about Towm. As far as haven are concerned he is only replying to the likes of yourself who come on here and have a pop at us. I would imagine David and the majority on here have no wish to go anywhere near the darkside that is the haven forum.

#109 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Coyle is now back in training and looks ok ,could still do a good job for us if he gets him self fit.

#110 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:57 AM

Coyle is now back in training and looks ok ,could still do a good job for us if he gets him self fit.

. . . . And suddenly turns into a half decent rugby player! WAGGHH!!

#111 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 800 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

Well TOWN ARMY i think we where all saying that about all our half backs,and i dont think Conner as set the world alight yet,but we will see?

#112 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

As well as fitness he needs some desire, doesn't look to have that in abundance from what I've seen.

Cant help thinking playing behind our pack should be a happy job for a halfback, as much as he was a revolving door, wee kaighan would have had a field day playing last 2 seasons up here

#113 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,218 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

As well as fitness he needs some desire, doesn't look to have that in abundance from what I've seen.

Cant help thinking playing behind our pack should be a happy job for a halfback, as much as he was a revolving door, wee kaighan would have had a field day playing last 2 seasons up here

i think the main thing we lack in our team is support play, how many breaks do we make and theres no one on the inside, mattys break against widnes was prime example, only one player on his shoulder which was cotter, its the half backs who should be in support they never are. scotty kaighan was outstanding at it and would have a field day at town.

Edited by wonky, 18 May 2013 - 08:20 AM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#114 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

i was on about your lot as a whole continually discussing haven every single thread has something about haven in it.as for me coming on here well theres no haven site on this forum,taken away because it was just abused by town fans.talking of abused wonder which one of your fine upstanding fans will abuse gareth tomorrow,its bound to happen. 

Should our fans take a lead from the haven fans as they are pillars of the community??
I suppose we could all do a sponsored silence like all the Haven fans do during games. How much have you raised so far BTO??
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#115 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

i was on about your lot as a whole continually discussing haven every single thread has something about haven in it.as for me coming on here well theres no haven site on this forum,taken away because it was just abused by town fans.talking of abused wonder which one of your fine upstanding fans will abuse gareth tomorrow,its bound to happen.

And yet here you are, every day on a town site. Can you say irony?

#116 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Coyle needs conditioning as well as fitness . Is it to late , I don't know . He obviously has talent as his pedigree suggests , but his physical state is holding him back . Only he can convince us with performances , at the moment it looks a poor punt but the door isn't closed firm . Your right Abu Connor hasn't set the world alight , far from it , but we've had to little continuity in the halves , and I'd be persisting with him and Lupton . And from what he has done he looks like he has something and will only improve as he settles in . True Wonky support play is an old chestnut with us , should be an automatic but to often we don't get full reward for our breaks . Hope this rain goes away to !!

#117 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Our support play has been disappointing this season and that is why we haven't scored as many points as we probably should have done.   Many times we have a player breaking through a tackle and looking around for support.    It's one of the basics of the game along with passing, tackling, kicking and backing up.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#118 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

BBC Weather - Rain to ease between 4 and 5pm, then to be dry by 6pm.
If you are going to post on a Town site.......make sure your facts are right.
Mild night followed by a dry day Sunday.

#119 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Cheers mate

#120 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

hawks fan saying they are now resting players for next week and are sending a "second string' up tomorrow and he's now not making the trip. mind games or true??????????????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users