Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

RL Structure

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

I dont think this current period of uncertainty is doing the game any good. Everyone seems to have an Opinion on the subject, Tony Smith being the latest.

What people dont seem to realise is that which ever option the RFL go down is going to be unpopular to some. Mergers, P&R, Licensing, 12x2 to 3x8 they all have there pros and cons.

Sooner we get a Structure and told that this is the on for good thenwe can get on with watching the game.

For my mind id like to see a Super League of 12, Championship of 12 and a National League of 14/16

The key to this beinging successful is finding money to help Championship Clubs employ as many full time Pros as possible.

Like i said whatever the RFL chooses will have its pros and cons and not everyone will be happy with.

Sooner we can concentrate on the ball the better Rugby League

#2 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 608 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

It amazes me that we have been given 3 options none of which is the option they thought was the correct one a few years ago i.e. the current one.

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

It amazes me that we have been given 3 options none of which is the option they thought was the correct one a few years ago i.e. the current one.

im pretty sure it was mentioned that staying as is is an option. I think people are naturally focusing on the one radical option.

#4 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

im pretty sure it was mentioned that staying as is is an option. I think people are naturally focusing on the one radical option.

I think the status quo will be the eventual outcome.... this time!
It'll be reight!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,663 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

I dont think this current period of uncertainty is doing the game any good. Everyone seems to have an Opinion on the subject, Tony Smith being the latest.

What people dont seem to realise is that which ever option the RFL go down is going to be unpopular to some. Mergers, P&R, Licensing, 12x2 to 3x8 they all have there pros and cons.

Sooner we get a Structure and told that this is the on for good thenwe can get on with watching the game.

For my mind id like to see a Super League of 12, Championship of 12 and a National League of 14/16

The key to this beinging successful is finding money to help Championship Clubs employ as many full time Pros as possible.

Like i said whatever the RFL chooses will have its pros and cons and not everyone will be happy with.

The Championship clubs should stop playing 'victim' get off their backsides and get on with it. This is not the Rugby League benefits agency. Fev can do it, so why not the rest?

#6 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

The Championship clubs should stop playing 'victim' get off their backsides and get on with it. This is not the Rugby League benefits agency. Fev can do it, so why not the rest?

Get on with what exactly?

#7 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

I dont think this current period of uncertainty is doing the game any good. What people dont seem to realise is that which ever option the RFL go down is going to be unpopular to some. Sooner we get a Structure and told that this is the on for good then we can get on with watching the game.

For my mind id like to see a Super League of 12, Championship of 12.

The key to this being successful is finding money to help Championship Clubs employ as many full time Pros as possible.

Great post there sir....

It looks like a return to the 2000-2006 (assuming you'd have P & R) format only with some assistance to the championship to be able to build a team that can stay up.

How about allowing them the same cap as SL. If such as Abbott and Nahaboo have the money, let them spend it.

#8 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

Great post there sir....

It looks like a return to the 2000-2006 (assuming you'd have P & R) format only with some assistance to the championship to be able to build a team that can stay up.

How about allowing them the same cap as SL. If such as Abbott and Nahaboo have the money, let them spend it.

bloody hell parky, steady on owd cock. Im almost leaning to agreement

#9 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

I would agree with that. If a team has the money to pay up to the cap, let them spend it.

In reality they wouldn't have to spend all the cap, but it would allow them up build a full time squad with a view of taking the majority of the players in to SL with them.

#10 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

bloody hell parky, steady on owd cock. Im almost leaning to agreement

Well......

#11 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

I would agree with that. If a team has the money to pay up to the cap, let them spend it.

In reality they wouldn't have to spend all the cap, but it would allow them up build a full time squad with a view of taking the majority of the players in to SL with them.

we've been discussing this very concept this morning.

#12 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Anybody think that Nahaboo would suddenly run for the hills?  I don't know what to make of the man to be honest, he's didn't leave on good terms at Castleford.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 14 May 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#13 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

Spending money a club doesn't generate is no problem at all if it is directors gifts as opposed to directors loans.

I accept from you that Mr. Abbott and Mr. Nahaboo should be treated equally in terms of their stated intentions to financially back their clubs.

Any director who wants to give his club any money should not be blocked, as our game is skint.

If however these people want to put millions in and if it doesn't work take back every penny they can and thus ruin the club, then that I suppose is another matter?

But the "control" the RFL places on clubs in our game is so deeply resented and maybe counter productive to the overall good that it could just be time to open things up a bit where the relationship between SL and CC is concerned.

Scrap the CC cap.

#14 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

Anybody think that Nahaboo would suddenly run for the hills?  I don't know what to make of the man to be honest, he's didn't leave on good terms at Castleford.

He can pop a few million in at Fev and run where the heck he wants, the game will have the money thank you very much Mr. Nabbers.

However he may run off with the assets of the club, but what the heck.

At least disgruntled fans won't be turning their anger on each other and the game itself.

#15 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Spending money a club doesn't generate is no problem at all if it is directors gifts as opposed to directors loans.

I accept from you that Mr. Abbott and Mr. Nahaboo should be treated equally in terms of their stated intentions to financially back their clubs.

Any director who wants to give his club any money should not be blocked, as our game is skint.

This is what's holding Castleford back to some extent.

#16 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

This is what's holding Castleford back to some extent.

Tell me more good sir, do potential investors only want to loan the club money against the Wheldon Road ground??

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

Tell me more good sir, do potential investors only want to loan the club money against the Wheldon Road ground??

I'm not close enough to give you any detail.  However my understanding from reading the Castleford forum is that several directors are happy to sell their shares if their loans are repaid.  Whether there's a buyer/buyers or not I don't know.

#18 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,875 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

I'm not close enough to give you any detail.  However my understanding from reading the Castleford forum is that several directors are happy to sell their shares if their loans are repaid.  Whether there's a buyer/buyers or not I don't know.

Just the sort of insight and information I like to read even though it's not good for Cas.

Martyn Sadler touched on this although I can't readily find the part of whichever article suggested it.

He suggested that if Superleague demoted two clubs next year Cas could easily be one (especially if Chase is gone and Clark too). The financial freefall of the club could then go on to end in the situation we had with such as Oldham, and more historically Hunslet, where the ground is sold off for a low price to pay the directors back.

This would leave Cas supporters putting up a stand on the old sandy desert at Lock Lane and applying for CC1.

And so Mr. Nahaboo and Mr. Abbot can broadcast the idea they will financially back their clubs but will they do it like the Cas directors apparently do it risking the clubs future, or will they do it like the good John Wilkinson did it - walk away and write off the "investment".

Either way I would not care, let clubs take whatever chances they want in their quest for Superleague, better that than impose regulations that turn fans off and against each other.

Edited by The Parksider, 14 May 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#19 RLRatings

RLRatings
  • Players
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Let's just keep the licensing system, but make it annual, and make it optional. If teams can afford to come in, then fine, and if teams want to drop out then fine, but don't just chuck out the bottom team automatically. If Salford came bottom this year, it would be idiotic to lose them, and the same should apply to every club.
www.rugbyleagueratings.com - proving that Featherstone were bound to beat Cas, since 2011.

#20 kioli

kioli
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

If there's a possibility that the best run club runs the risk of being kicked out of the SL because they have a horror run with injuries then the system is broken.

No if's or but's. P&R or yearly franchising will not strengthen the game in the UK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users