Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

International Development

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

Best thing the RFL and NRL could do is focus on the International Development of the game.

To be fair they have made good yards with this over the last few years with the inception of the World Cup every 4 years and the 4 Nations Tournament.

I saw that the 2017 World Cup had been bid for by South Africa, this would be great for the game. South Africa is one place the game needs to be Developed.

Id love to see a proper cycle i saw this one somewhere and agreed 100%

2013 - World Cup

2014 - 4 Nations Australasia

2015 - GB Tour / Euro Nations Cup (Plus other continents championships)

2016 - 4 Nations Europe

2017 - World Cup (and so on)

I know the GB think would be mainly English players but it gives Welsh, Scotlish and Irish players something to go for and might attract a few more fans from the Celtic Nations.

Any other ideas for the World of International Rugby League

#2 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

Scott Carter has said that the Australia/NZ bid for the 2017 World Cup is the most likely one. Interesting to see that for that and the 2014 4 Nations the venues are open to bidding, so the 2017 WC final could be in New Zealand. I'm not convined the interest would be there to stage a World Cup in South Africa anytime soon. Perhaps a venue for a future WCC?

The proposals for the Lions Tour in 2015 seem slightly odd, with 4 matches in Oz and 4 in NZ, and just 2 tests against both the Aussies and Kiwis. I thought the whole point of the tour was to ressurect the Ashes series - surely that would need to be a 3 test series?

#3 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

The only thing that could really kickstart rugby league in south Africa would be for south Africa to have an NRL team, or for every NRL team to take 1 or 2 junior south African union players and play them in the Toyota cup(u-20's) competition.

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Scott Carter has said that the Australia/NZ bid for the 2017 World Cup is the most likely one. Interesting to see that for that and the 2014 4 Nations the venues are open to bidding, so the 2017 WC final could be in New Zealand. I'm not convined the interest would be there to stage a World Cup in South Africa anytime soon. Perhaps a venue for a future WCC?

The proposals for the Lions Tour in 2015 seem slightly odd, with 4 matches in Oz and 4 in NZ, and just 2 tests against both the Aussies and Kiwis. I thought the whole point of the tour was to ressurect the Ashes series - surely that would need to be a 3 test series?

With rugby league getting stronger in NZ year on year, with the national side improving and the number of participants playing the sport increasing, the warriors, maybe even a second NRL team in Wellington or Christchurch and more and more young kiwis being scouted by other Australian NRL clubs, I don't see why GB couldn't tour NZ and Australia separately like the British& Irish lions(union) do. A tour to Australia could consist of a one-off test against PNG(in png), a game against the aborigines, a game against the NRL champions and 3 tests against the Aussies. While the next tour down under would be to NZ and could consist of a one-off test against Fiji(in fiji), a game against the warriors, the Maoris and then 3 tests against the kiwis.

#5 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

I'd love to see an international tournament played every two years to help with the advancement of the international game.

I was thinking we could have

1 England U23s or 21s

2 France

3 Wales

4 Ireland

5 Scotland

6 Tonga

7 Samoa

8 Papua New Guinea

Have teams drawn at random to play in a knockout competition.

Have the games as double headers at Hull and Wigan for example.

1 V 3

2 v 6

4 V 8

5 V 7

The week after you have the semis 

1 V 8

5 V 6

and the four losing teams play off to see who gets to the plate final.

2 V 4

3 V 7

Again making them double headers at Warrington and St Helens for example

And the final played at headingley

The two teams to have got through from both competitions in their respective games.

For example England V Tonga

and France V Wales

Other teams that have come over could hold internationals against each other for a few weeks after similar to what rugby union do in November. This could really help get the game going at the level underneath Australia, New Zealand and England. Have it televised by the highest bidder, as a new tournament it could spark a bidding war between Premier Sports, Sky and the BBC. It could attract international sponsors through been shown in 8 countries around the globe and it would also hopefully attract new fans to the game.

Edited by Eddie Rombo, 15 May 2013 - 11:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users