Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Scott Street Rugby shop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

Maybe John or Marion can answer this one, but do the club own or rent the Scott Street premesis? If we do own it, is it on a mortgage?

What I am getting at is could the shop not be moved to Craven Park permanently thus freeing up either the rental costs each month OR if we do own it try to sell it (saving the mortgage costs if it is mortgaged, and putting any capital back into the club...not easy in this climate I know), or rent it out to a third party (again not easy in this climate with so many shops stood idle in the town!!!)

Just asking ?

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#2 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

As far as I'm aware the shop belongs to John and Marion and they donate the profits to the club. He allows the office upstairs to be used by Karen but it is my understanding the club have no connection with the shop other than John and Marions generousity. I will stand corrected but thats how I understand it and all the more reason for the club to survive otherwise they will be left with all the stock.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#3 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Cheers Mike................... it was just a thought to try help with forward thinking for the club !!!!

Lee Morton

#4 John Spoor

John Spoor
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Soss
You could not be more wrong! I hope the Inland Revenue do not read this forum and think we have undeclared property in our portfolios!

Morty
78 Scott Street is owned lock, stock and barrel by mine and Marian's employers - Barrow Rugby League Auxiliary Association, who are the society that runs the Gold Rush lottery and other fundraising schemes as registered with the Gambling Commission. I will not bore you with any details of how we come to own the property or the legalities involved with lotteries, but if you are passing at any time or see me on a match day, I will gladly discuss them with you if you are interested!
It would, in my opinion, be financial suicide to sell up and re-locate at the ground. We have just under 700 shares in the Gold Rush that are paid in the shop. I am 100% certain those members would not go to Craven Park to pay their subscriptions, when they can leave M&S side entrance and walk over to us. I know for a fact that a property and selling outlet in the town centre like ours is very much envied by other clubs. Having the club secretary in the property as well means everything connected with the club is in the one place for supporters bookings, tickets, queries etc.
As the shop is owned by us , and not the club means that we qualify for "small business rate relief" and our business rates bill is minimal. Other than the usual update and maintenance costs, the building costs us nothing!

Floodlight Fund
To answer your and other posts regarding the floodlight fund, I have been inundated with queries since the Evening Mail article on Friday. I know that this topic is going to be raised on Friday night's meeting and I have assured all supporters who have contacted me that I will be making a statement regarding the legal and ethical aspects at that time.

John Spoor
Barrow Rugby Shop

Posted Image

#5 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Lol apologies John I was half right..you still do a cracking job..

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#6 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Many thanks John. There was no underlying issue I was just wondering with the statement last friday and the plight we appear to be in...was just asking as a way of exploring all avenues for financial help for the club.

Regards

Lee

Lee Morton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users