Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oil Price fixing?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,792 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

European Commission confirms oil pricing raids - interesting!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

This story is up there with "Do bears sh it in the woods?". A private monopoly, be it either gas, water, electric or oil, is going to charge as much as it can get away with and if that mean a cheeky phone call between "mates" at high level to "fix" prices, do you honestly think they wouldn't?

Edited by Shadow45, 14 May 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,636 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

No. Still better than a public monopoly.you may be too young to remember life under the hugely inefficient and backwards GPO , GEGB, British Rail, British Road Services. It took the introduction of ITV in the 1950a to administer a kick up the backside of the BBC, too.

And fixing the price of oil, if that has happened? What with fuel tax, vat, retailers margins, how does that affect prices?

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

I am outraged that Brussels is investigating our oil prices.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

I can imagine the investigation will go on for so long that we will all forget about it and nothing will change. Come next summer prices will go up further and consumers will continue to drive as much as they are now.

Although, I can imagine knocking £0.10 off a litre of petrol would boost the economy.

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,569 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

The fuel strikes of 2000 happened when petrol hit about 80p per litre.  It's £1.32 now at our local Tesco.

I have no doubt that fuel would be far more expensive now but for the big supermarkets having their price wars on fuel, 5p or 10p per litre off vouchers and so on.  The big petrol brands have to come close to the headline price or they'll just go bust.  I got a 10p per litre voucher from Tesco, that's £5.50 off my next fuel bill.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#7 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

Supermarket petrol is supposed to be low quality, according to a mechanic I know it is the petrol version of Weatherspoons beer, bottom of the barrel stuff.

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,636 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Isn't there an EN ISO standard for petrol and diesel?

#9 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Supermarket petrol is supposed to be low quality, according to a mechanic I know it is the petrol version of Weatherspoons beer, bottom of the barrel stuff.

A fallacy, 'spoons source the same beer as everyone else. The only things they sometimes do is buy the beer closer to it's sell by date, but with their generally larger outlets they can get away with it being able to turn their beer over in a shorter time frame. 

Isn't there an EN ISO standard for petrol and diesel?

I believe so.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#10 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

A fallacy, 'spoons source the same beer as everyone else. The only things they sometimes do is buy the beer closer to it's sell by date, but with their generally larger outlets they can get away with it being able to turn their beer over in a shorter time frame. 

I believe so.

I've stuck mainly supermarket petrol into my car which I've owned for the last 11 years now without any issues. Higher Octane stuff may help boost performance of some newer cars, but I suspect a bit of scaremongering amongst some of the main players is probably the driving force* behind this rumour.

*pun intended. :rolleyes:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,636 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

If it turns out that the EU finds there has been cross border cross company price fixing that has held the price of petrol and diesel higher than it would have been, how will UKIP react?

#12 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,569 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

If it turns out that the EU finds there has been cross border cross company price fixing that has held the price of petrol and diesel higher than it would have been, how will UKIP react?

"The view of the UK government's inquiry was that they could find no evidence of price fixing, therefore that trumps whatever the EU busybodies will find."

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,636 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Ah, yes...the 'could find no evidence' line combined with the national sovereignty defence.

The annoying thing is that the only way energy useage will reduce sufficiently to stop us frying is for the price to escalate.

#14 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

THE SUPERMARKET STUFF DOESNT SMELL OR TASTE AS GOOD AS THE TOP BRANDS THOUGH!

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users