Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wigan Athletic Achieve Pub Quiz Immortality

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,920 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

Who was the first soccer team to win the F.A Cup and get relegated in the same season.

Nobody will ever take that away from them.

One thing, with the tension taken out of Sunday's game their fans will be able to party party party all through the game without worrying about the result.

Enjoy the F.A. Cup winners party.

Edited by Padge, 14 May 2013 - 08:50 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#2 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,647 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hull City will achieve something similar next season.

They'll win FA and will be relegated.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#3 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Wouldn't swap a moment of the last 8 years, been an amazing ride.

#4 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

theres only 6 ish teams that are in prem league- rest are a much of a muchness with the chmpionship- stoke-reading- norwich -fulham- all could easily struggle in the champinship

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#5 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,920 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

Wouldn't swap a moment of the last 8 years, been an amazing ride.

They've done well, way above most peoples expectations.

A friend of mine is relieved, he's sick of the end of year dog fight. He's been yearning to go back to the championship for years. He has been following them for a very long time.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#6 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

There is something soul destroying about the "race to 40 points" every season, I couldn't lie and say otherwise.

However, the last time (and only previous other relegation) we went down, we ended up propping up the Football League, we've only spent 2 years of our history in the Championship, even that is batting above our average.  Wish we could skip the dance of the off-season and jump to the 1st game of next season having had all the best players cherry picked and manager taken etc!

I'm gutted, but a realist, sad for those whose livelyhoods are affected both at the club and indirectly in the town as much as anything else.

Edited by shrek, 15 May 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#7 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,647 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

Wouldn't want to be in a Latics' fan's shoes, by the sound of it....

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#8 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Who was the first soccer team to win the F.A Cup and get relegated in the same season.

Nobody will ever take that away from them.

One thing, with the tension taken out of Sunday's game their fans will be able to party party party all through the game without worrying about the result.

Enjoy the F.A. Cup winners party.

Dave, Are you sure they are the first? Serious question. I thought someone else had done it, but the old grey matter is seriously deteriorating these days. :D

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#9 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

theres only 6 ish teams that are in prem league- rest are a much of a muchness with the chmpionship- stoke-reading- norwich -fulham- all could easily struggle in the champinship

That sounds freakishly like Super League. :unsure:

#10 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

F.A. Cup Winners? I bet Mancini wishes .....

(Most of you know I am, or was, a City fan. I wish Roberto well. Best manager we've had since Joe Mercer. Treated abominably. :( )

#11 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Its a pleasure to wear these shoes, won more major silverware in the last week than most clubs have won in a generation and perhaps even lifetime! 

Dave, Are you sure they are the first? Serious question. I thought someone else had done it, but the old grey matter is seriously deteriorating these days. :D

I believe that stat to be sadly true!

#12 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

Its a pleasure to wear these shoes, won more major silverware in the last week than most clubs have won in a generation and perhaps even lifetime! 

I believe that stat to be sadly true!

1) Good for you!

2) I bow to superior knowledge. Good luck next season.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,618 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:12 AM

That sounds freakishly like Super League. :unsure:

Doesn't it just!
Echo your Mancini musings but have also been reading a bit more about him..his personality, and how he was to some extent the author of his own misfortune. He's had it seems a huge payoff and will swap Manchester for Monaco.

And Latics? They'll be back. P and R yo-yo rules!

Edited by JohnM, 15 May 2013 - 05:13 AM.

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

Birmingham, and maybe some others, have won the League Cup and been relegated in the same season.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,613 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

I thought Portsmouth won the FA Cup a few years back and got docked points thus relegated.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

I thought Portsmouth won the FA Cup a few years back and got docked points thus relegated.

They were relegated the season after IIRC.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,647 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

There is something sole destroying about the "race to 40 points" every season, I couldn't lie and say otherwise.

F.A. Cup Winners? I bet Mancini wishes .....

A couple of "Wooooshes" perhaps? ;)

#18 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:02 AM

From memory Portsmouth won it in 2008, but didn't get relegated till 2010 when I think they were also runners up in the cup.

A couple of "Wooooshes" perhaps? ;)

Yep, far to subtle and clever for a p*ssed Wigan lad!  :)

#19 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

I was gutted for WIgan last night as I really wanted them to stay up - on the positive side, I will laugh my enormous member off if Tottenham don;t reach the Champions League so i was chuffed for Arsenal!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Does an FA Cup win put Wigan in Europe like Birmingham had when they won their trophy?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users