Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Eng team v exiles

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

A month away !!

#2 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Woooooo!

Where's the fanfare!!!

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#3 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

If Rugby League fans want the game to Succeed they need the England teams to be succesful and well supported. The biggest thing for this game would be if England managed an upset in November and won the World Cup.

But its much easier to moan about every aspect of the game than get behind it.

#4 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:20 AM

If Rugby League fans want the game to Succeed they need the England teams to be succesful and well supported. The biggest thing for this game would be if England managed an upset in November and won the World Cup.

But its much easier to moan about every aspect of the game than get behind it.

Well said, reading what some say on here you would think the only way Rugby League could succeed as a game is if Leigh and Featherstone are given the chance to play in and get relegated from Super League each year rather than every 3 as is currently the case.

#5 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

Tomkins
Charnley
Cudjoe
Watkins
Hall
Ratchford/ World Cup Widdop
Brough
Hill/ World Cup Graham
Lunt/ World Cup Roby
Crabtree
Westwood
Farrell/ World Cup S Burgess
O'Loughlin

Clarke/ World Cup Lunt
Hock
Mossop/ World Cup Hill
Walmsley/ World Cup G Burgess

#6 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hardaker
Riley
Cudjoe
Watkins
Hall
Ratchford
Myler
Hill
Mcillorum
Mossop
Hock
Farrell
Sinfield

Lunt
Ellis
Carvell
Crabtree

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

Tomkins
Charnley
Cudjoe
Watkins
Hall
Ratchford/ World Cup Widdop
Brough
Hill/ World Cup Graham
Lunt/ World Cup Roby
Crabtree
Westwood
Farrell/ World Cup S Burgess
O'Loughlin

Clarke/ World Cup Lunt
Hock
Mossop/ World Cup Hill
Walmsley/ World Cup G Burgess

Not very likely without Sir Kev.

I expect:

Tomkins
Charnley
Cudjoe
Watkins
Hall
Chase/Myler
Sinfield
Hill
McIllorum/Roby (if fit)
Crabtree
Farrell
Ellis
O'loughlin

Burrow
Mossop
Carvell
Jones-Buchannan

#8 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

I'd like to see Tom Lineham play in that game, McNamara won't pick anyone not in his original squad though.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#9 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

I think we've got away from just throwing the 13 current "best" players together and expecting them to become a team. McNamara has created a team. Leeds don't have all the best players but they've become the best team over the past few years.

That's what will give us the best chance in the World Cup.

#10 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

Right IMO the exiles games are a waste in trying to get the players used to playing with eachother. We have Widdop, Burgess', Reed, Graham, Heighington all missing the majority of whom would be in my starting 17. I don't think there is any point in playing Tomkins, Hall, Briscoe, Roby, Westwood ect as I think we should be trying to see which players are good enough.

I'd go for:

Hardaker
Lineham
Watkins
Cudjoe
Dixon
Brough
Sinfield
Hill
Roby
Mossop
Crabtree
Farrell
O Loughlin

Craig Huby
Walmsley
Elliot Whitehead
Danny Kirmond

I'd maybe put Goulding instead of Watkins as Watkins will likely play. Maybe put Dixon on Watkins side to test both their defences. Sinfield and Brough to test if they could work together. Mossop and Hill still have to prove which one of them deserves a spot come the end of the year as I can't pick between them. Farrell should play to try and stake claim as I feel even if he carries on the form he his he still might not get selected. Crabtree at second row is different but I think it could possibly help us build a massive pack. There's no doubt he has the attributes to play there, and would definitely cause problems down the flanks of teams especially if he gets running at half backs. He has the speed to make a break. Id be tempted to play Hock to see if he can keep his dummy shut. I've also selected no hooker on the bench to see how long James Roby can last. The bench is made up of people I believe deserve a shot to prove themselves.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 16 May 2013 - 08:58 PM.

#11 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

Right IMO the exiles games are a waste in trying to get the players used to playing with eachother. We have Widdop, Burgess', Reed, Graham, Heighington all missing the majority of whom would be in my starting 17. I don't think there is any point in playing Tomkins, Hall, Briscoe, Roby, Westwood ect as I think we should be trying to see which players are good enough.

I take your point, but wouldn't the absence of Tomkins, Hall etc. simply be used as a reason/excuse for a poor turn out crowd wise? If the concept of the Exiles match is going to grow, both sides need to be picking as strong a team as possible. Once you start using games as experiments, you risk devaluing it in the eyes of potential spectators.

#12 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Not very likely without Sir Kev

No I agree, there's too much common sense in my selections, where would we be without such in form, inspired, frighteningly talented shoe ins like Sinfield, JJB, Wilkin, Ablett, Heighington etc.

#13 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Do you think Queensland would test Inglis, Slater, Smith and Cronk if NSW won the first 2 games of the series in state of origin?

For England not to play their absolute best available 17 makes a mockery of why this game was brought in..... To give the Elite players higher intensity completion to better prepare for internationals.

#14 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

1. Tomkins

2. Lineham

3. Watkins

4. Cudjoe

5. Hall

6. Sinfield

7. Myler

8. Mossop

9. Lunt (Roby won't be fit...)

10. Hill

11. Farrell

12. Hock

13. O Loughlin

14. Burrow

15. Crabtree

16. Walmsley (wildcard!)

17. Westwood

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#15 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Do you think Queensland would test Inglis, Slater, Smith and Cronk if NSW won the first 2 games of the series in state of origin?

For England not to play their absolute best available 17 makes a mockery of why this game was brought in..... To give the Elite players higher intensity completion to better prepare for internationals.

I don't think origin is a comparison of this game in the slightest. The purpose of this game is to try and find out what our best side is for the world cup, my side would help us achieve that.

#16 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

I don't think origin is a comparison of this game in the slightest. The purpose of this game is to try and find out what our best side is for the world cup, my side would help us achieve that.

Really? I was under the impression that this concept was introduced to give the England side a sterner mid season test than Wales or France would provide. Surely in finding out your best side, that would involve playing your best players available?

#17 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

Lineham just confirmed what a good prospect he is in that game, he is a big strong thing with plenty of pace. Ben Crooks was impressive too.
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#18 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 571 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

Agree I think we do genuinely have some rally good backs coming though now, products of the excellent development structures that have unfortunately now been tampered with.

#19 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:16 AM

Lineham just confirmed what a good prospect he is in that game, he is a big strong thing with plenty of pace. Ben Crooks was impressive too.

I'd already have Lineham in on the right wing. I'd also play Crooks (instead of Cudjoe). Every time I have seen him, he has been quality. On last nights showing, I am disappointed I had forgotten Houghton (from my initial post #14) who would be my hooker (even in front of Roby...).

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#20 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

Houghton hull fc and hodgson hull kr have been 2 of best hookers this season, I just love micky mac at Wigan reminds me of tez Newton rough tough no fear and can play aswell. To soon for lineham poor in under the high ball and not the best defencivley. Hull are wea on the right edge with crooks lineham and whiting/westerman, be a lot stronger when tickle is back