Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

what typical things do "non fans" say to you

when you say u like rl

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

A couple of Swindon Town fans were passing our game (Swindon St George vs Somerset Vikings) at about the 10min mark and stopped mainly to laugh at the "egg chasers". They ended up staying for the entire game and told me "This game is actually very good. When's OUR next home game?"

I did enjoy their use of the word "OUR"!

P&R was not mentioned

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 18 May 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#122 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

When I meet up with my fellow directors they always ask how Leigh are doing and if we will make SL, its always fun explaining the play offs with the goal of going nowhere .

Its even better when I meet up with other Directors from the industry, they always laugh and state how hard it must be to get big name sponsors unfamiliar with such a culture in sport - very heavily involved with the Heineken cup and Champions League sponsorship you see.

Cant wait to tell them its back soon

Edited by sweaty craiq, 19 May 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#123 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,522 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

We've had quite a lot of Swedes at work lately and one of our managers took them to a Workington v whitehaven game..it was a fairly poor game really but they were amazed at the pace and physicality if it. They were big ice hockey fans and absolutely loved rl, so much they were on YouTube the next few lunch times hunting for everything and anything rl. They reckoned rl would be a massive hit in Scandinavia.

#124 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,322 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

When I meet up with my fellow directors they always ask how Leigh are doing and if we will make SL, its always fun explaining the play offs with the goal of going nowhere .

Its even better when I meet up with other Directors from the industry, they always laugh and state how hard it must be to get big name sponsors unfamiliar with such a culture in sport - very heavily involved with the Heineken cup and Champions League sponsorship you see.

Cant wait to tell them its back soon

The Heineken Cup is hardly a shining light for simplicity or fairness.

#125 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

I met a multi-billionaire yesterday.

I showed him the game and he loved it. He actually wrote out a £3bn cheque for the RFL but tore it up when he heard that Leigh might not be able to make it into Super League.

People called Romans they go the house

#126 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

I met a multi-billionaire yesterday.

I showed him the game and he loved it. He actually wrote out a £3bn cheque for the RFL but tore it up when he heard that Leigh might not be able to make it into Super League.

That's a shame that the RFL could have done with the £3bn, ring them and they will let Leigh in for that money, they let Widnes in for much less.

#127 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

I'm taking a Croat, an Austrian and a Greek to the Magic Weekend, none of them have ever seen a game of RL.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#128 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

I'm taking a Croat, an Austrian and a Greek to the Magic Weekend, none of them have ever seen a game of RL.

I am taking an Englishman an Irishman and a Scotsman.....................................................I can't wait for the punchline

#129 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

I'm hoping the answer is "drunkenly."
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#130 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

"theres only 3 teams in it" i heard the other day, are they discounting saints or hudds?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#131 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

"theres only 3 teams in it" i heard the other day, are they discounting saints or hudds?

These people seem like they were hardly following the game at all.

There's only ever two teams involved at any given point during a game.
- Severus, July 2012

#132 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

think they were talking bout wigan leeds and warrington as sl contenders, a lot of these people just hear the names and the results, suppose wakefield or cas winning the cc at wembley are long gone memories even for their parents

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#133 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

I'm hoping the answer is "drunkenly."

It's supposed to be my stag do, chief, so I'll be rather disappointed otherwise!

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#134 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

It's supposed to be my stag do, chief, so I'll be rather disappointed otherwise!

Top stuff mon ami - congratulations.

In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#135 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

These people seem like they were hardly following the game at all.

There's only ever two teams involved at any given point during a game.

With dual registration, there can be up to four.

#136 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Had a good one today:

"Bet you're looking forward to the Lions tour aren't you"

Not really love, no (but I smiled and nodded out of politeness).

#137 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Had a good one today:

July 28th?

I suppose it's not really a tour, but any trip outside Fev must be an adventure. Even if it is only Swinton. ;)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#138 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,083 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Had a good one today:

If that was from a Football fan, ask them if they're looking forward to the Superbowl, 'cause that's 'Football', according to a large number of people in the world.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#139 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

July 28th?

I suppose it's not really a tour, but any trip outside Fev must be an adventure. Even if it is only Swinton. ;)

Haha, yes.  I believe that we will be using one of these new fangled "horseless carriages" too.

#140 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

With dual registration, there can be up to four.

With loan signings we could have an infinite number of monkeys.

- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users