Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

17/05/13 - Salford City Reds v Bradford Bulls - KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Salford City Reds (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Bradford Bulls (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

Discuss Salford City Reds v Bradford Bulls here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Bradford Bulls Head Coach Francis Cummins looks ahead to Friday’s Super League clash at the City of Salford Stadium against Brian Noble’s Salford Reds.

WAS IT A CHANCE LOST LAST WEEK IN THE CHALLENGE CUP?

“Very much so and we are very disappointed. We worked really hard and we were without two of our middle unit players to start with and then losing Donaldson, who is also a middle player and Kearney early in the game were big blows to us.  We made the metres but didn’t come up with the plays and we just need to settle down and be more composed.  We need our experienced players to take more control of the game; to step up a bit, calm everyone down and enjoy the territory.  We didn’t get much field position in the first half but after the break we dominated without taking the right options.”

YOU ARE IN A LITTLE TROUGH OF RESULTS AT THE MOMENT. IS IT A BLIP OR A RUT?

“It’s certainly not a rut.  Yes we lost to London, who probably played as well as they have done this year but the other side’s we lost to; Wigan, Warrington and Leeds are not bad teams, are they!  But I am looking for a performance because in all those games we had some very good spells but weren’t good enough to get the result.  We need to keep on with what we are doing and have faith in what we are doing.  We showed a lot of good stuff against London but we need to be more patient at our opponent’s end of the field.”

SO WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF FRIDAY’S GAME?

“Well again they are going through a bad time but they have new Coaching Staff of board and they will want to impress them. It’s a game where we need to get back to our best and if we do that then I am confident we can get the result but make no mistake it will be a tricky game.  They are like us and will not be happy with their last three outings, so they will want to get back to their best and show what they can do.  

ARE THEY A BIT OF AN UNKNOWN QUANTITY WITH BRIAN NOBLE GOING IN THERE AND MAKING HIS CHANGES??

“There are some players there that we know a lot about as they have been at other clubs and we know how they play individually but as for the team, with the new coaching staff, they may play a little differently but I am more concerned with how we play.”        

SQUAD NEWS

Francis Cummins has named his Squad for the game at Salford on Friday.  He is still waiting to see if he can bring a player in on loan and if that is successful he will amend the Squad.  Brett Kearney and Manase Manuokafoa both miss out with groin and thumb injuries respectively but James Donaldson is fit to play after being knocked unconscious in a foul tackle at London last week.  Jamie Langley returns to the Squad and if he plays it will be his 250th appearance for the Bulls.  Adam Sidlow is a doubt with a shoulder injury but will be given as much time as possible to recover.

The Squad is:  James Donaldson, Adam Sidlow, Michael Platt, Luke Gale, Elliot Kear, Nick Scruton, John Bateman, Heath L’Estrange, C, Adrian Purtell, Keith Lulia, Elliott Whitehead, Matt Diskin, C, Jarrod Sammut, Danny Addy, Jamie Langley, Chev Walker, Ben Evans, Matty Blythe.

MILESTONES

JAMIE LANGLEY needs 1 appearance to reach 250 for the Bulls.  He has made 190 starting appearances and 59 substitute appearances since making his debut at Wakefield in 2002.  He has scored 39 tries for a total of 156 points.

JARROD SAMMUT needs 9 points for a total of 200 for the Bulls.  He has scored 23 tries, kicked 49 goals and a drop goal for a total of 191 points.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Referee: T Roby

Touch Judge: J Cobb

Touch Judge: G Stokes

Reserve: A Smith

Match Commissioner: I Ollerton

In Goal: T Mahar

In Goal: G Towey

Time Keeper: I McGregor

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Salford squad: Jodie Broughton, Ashley Gibson, Martin Gleeson, Lee Gaskell, Liam Foran, Matty Ashurst, Andrew Dixon, Stephen Wild, Wayne Godwin, Chris Nero, Vic Mauro, Adam Neal, Theo Fages, Marc Sneyd, Ryan McGoldrick, Niall Evalds, Darrell Griffin, Adam Walne, Jake Emmitt.

Edited by hindle xiii, 16 May 2013 - 07:09 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Can see a Salford win here. In bad form, a lot of injuries and an awful record against sides coached by Nobby. Anyone know how many times we have beaten a side he has been in charge of – I’d guess at a generous two – one both for Wigan and Crusaders and I’m not entirely sure we beat Wigan ever when he was there.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#6 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hope Salford can get the points what the club needs more than anything is a few more Ws that's what will get people excited in the club

#7 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

No offence intended towards anyone involved with Bradford, but I would really like Salford to win this.  With Koukash inviting half of Salford's population free gratis it would be a good boost for the club, the team and the regular fans to get a (legitimate!) win. 

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

Bradford squad: James Donaldson, Adam Sidlow, Michael Platt, Luke Gale, Elliot Kear, Nick Scruton, John Bateman, Heath L’Estrange, Adrian Purtell, Keith Lulia, Elliott Whitehead, Matt Diskin, Jarrod Sammut, Danny Addy, Jamie Langley, Chev Walker, Ben Evans, Matty Blythe, Jacob Fairbank.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

Good to get young Fairbank in but we still look weak in the forwards with at least one of the props carrying an injury and another not in the best of form and who might well have given way - if there had been an alternative. Not sure one more loanee prop can paper over the cracks in our squad at the moment - particularly in his first game. Hoping for the best but fear the worst.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#10 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Warning to anyone thinking of taking in this game, traffic will be a complete and utter mare around the stadium.

There are road works on the roundabout nr the slip roads.

Roads around the area are congested due to the sewage works near the swing bridge.

Think Bradford will get a slim win.

#11 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Lots of cheap and convenient parking spots away from the congestion though. Eccles RLFC or the Unicorn would be my recommendation.

Both only 10 mins walk

#12 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Referee: T Roby
Touch Judge: J Cobb
Touch Judge: G Stokes
Reserve: A Smith
Match Commissioner: I Ollerton
In Goal: T Mahar
In Goal: G Towey
Time Keeper: I McGregor

Awe c'mon. Not again surely!

Bradford squad: James Donaldson, Adam Sidlow, Michael Platt, Luke Gale, Elliot Kear, Nick Scruton, John Bateman, Heath L’Estrange, Adrian Purtell, Keith Lulia, Elliott Whitehead, Matt Diskin, Jarrod Sammut, Danny Addy, Jamie Langley, Chev Walker, Ben Evans, Matty Blythe, Jacob Fairbank.

Now that is a name I'm happy to see on our team sheet.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#13 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

G Stokes can't see beyond the end of his flag!

Seems it could be a lottery.

#14 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

I think it is imperative that Salford win the remaining home games this campaign.

Last Sunday,while my mood was as foul as the weather,I could not foresee another win,but I think this game will be a good test.

I worry about Kear and Sammutt.I worry  more about our pack than the Bulls fans worry about theirs.I worry even more that I have NOT seen any of the 3 new coaches photographed on the training field on the club website,after this was a fairly regular occurrence under the last regime.

Perhaps coaching is so advanced now it is done by osmosis.

Perhaps I worry too much.

Is there any lingering animosity ? - http://www.thetelegr...f_Noble_return/

Do my favourite Bradford players have a point to prove from their Crusaders days ? 

Nah.Fine weather.No discernible breeze.Excellent pre-match curry and the best home display of the season.

Salford victory.No worries. :yes:

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

It's hard to pick a result because it's more than likely that Roby's performance will decide who wins.

I'm expecting a win, but unfancied Salford teams have been sandbagging Bradford teams for thirty years.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#16 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

It's hard to pick a result because it's more than likely that Roby's performance will decide who wins.

I don't seem to remember many people complaining (at least on Bradford's part) when he took charge of this fixture at Odsal a few weeks ago. Funny that!

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#17 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

You must be one of the minority that didn't boo him off.

Tim Roby is a young referee and he can only improve.

However, each time he's reffed us, I've thought he was dreadful.

Either way, we'll see what he goes like tonight. I'm expecting garbage, so anything  else would be a bonus.

Edited by Wolford6, 17 May 2013 - 08:41 AM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#18 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Nobody booed him off or even had a bad word to say about him where I was sat - genuinely didn't hear any boos from the other side either, but Odsal is a big stadium.

SQL Honours

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Bradford, by 16.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Please, please, please! Both teams really need this win for different reasons, I'm hoping we have just enough.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users