Photo
- - - - -

17/05/13 - Salford City Reds v Bradford Bulls - KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Salford City Reds (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Bradford Bulls (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,686 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

Dreadful game with neither side playing to its potential.

Bradford reduced to one barging forward ... Ben Evans ... and we had a rare Bradford situation where our forwards were carried by our backs. We had a stuttering halfback partnership because Jarrod Sammut played fullback in defence, scrumhalf in attack. Luke Gale kicked well (both sides did) but didn't dictate play anywhere near as well as he might.

I thought Matty Blyth edged  out Jarrod Sammut as our MoM with Elliott Kear putting in another wholehearted effort.

The traffic was dreadful; huge queue off the motorway, followed by having to queue for a ticket from the ticket office rather than being able to pay on the turnstiles. When you got your ticket, you had to queue to go through the turnstiles because the stewards weren't allowed to let you into the ground through the main gate next to the stand. I could understand them being given these orders for a packed house, but the stadium was half empty.

I was so depressed, I couldn't raise the enthusiasm to boo Tim Roby. In fairness, he wasn't bad. I think both sides must have dragged their performance down to his level.

Despite this extended whinge and whine, I will, of course, be going again next season.

:biggrin: :wacko:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#42 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

I don't think the weather helped either side with the dropped ball causing problemsfor both sides. Some great defence from the Bulls though to thwart Salford when they had possession. There was much to enjoy, particularly for Bulls' fans, with some outstanding moments mixed in with the less attactive stuff; Sammuts's break and Gale's backing up and try, was something to grace any match. Thought the Bulls played well with a much re-arranged side, but as we've done this on and off all season I guess we're used to it by now - Danny Addy must really think he is a half back! That said, he did well in the role as did Sammut at fullback, even if he did get caught out of position occasionally and had to let kicks go to ground.

A welcome two points.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#43 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'm glad I didn't try and post my thoughts last night. I was really disappointed. I had genuinely thought we would give Bradford a stern test and even, perhaps, get the win. This morning, I'm more relaxed about the game and willing to look for the positives rather than dwell on the negatives.

We started well and, when we took the lead, it was no more than we deserved. It was probably the best thirty minutes I've seen from Salford this season. Our defence looked fairly good and I disagree with Pottsy, Bradford didn't look like scoring every time they got near our line. They looked dangerous, but our defence was matching them. Then we pulled off our usual self-destruction - a needless penalty for lying-on on the last tackle near halfway and the momentum was decided for the rest of the match. Bradford still needed a bit of luck to secure the try - I think it was Sneyd who failed to put the ball dead in our in-goal and Blythe(?) was able to touch down.

After that, the Salford of old would have lain down and died. We didn't last night. Bradford had to work very hard for their scores, so my first positive is our defence is beginning to show some steel. My second positive that we now seem to have enough forwards who are reasonably fit to rotate properly (that might be the reason for the better defence). My third positive was the crowd. I know there were a lot of 'freebies', but there was a good-sized crowd in (loads of children and parents in both the West and East stands) and they seemed to enjoy themselves. There was a definite buzz around the place. Well done, Dr. Koukash! (Little word of praise for Bullman, too - he really did engage the Salford children and got them booing him with gusto).

So there are positives if you're willing to look for them, but it was disappointing to have such a promising start (great crowd, strong opening 30 minutes) and come away with nothing. Negatives? If I must, then. Pottsy is right about our attack, it is toothless. We spent long periods in Bradford's half (good pressure) but, apart from McGoldrick's dummy and dash for the try, we never really looked like scoring.

Finally, to set the record straight. After the game at Odsal, I suggested that the Bradford fans were "one-eyed". Last night, I was surrounded by Salford fans screaming "Forward!" and going on about Roby being "bent" all through the second half, from our perfect vantage point behind the sticks :sleep: . So, I take it back. :)  Mr Roby had a decent game, for my money.

Edited by tonyXIII, 18 May 2013 - 10:47 AM.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#44 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

The only positive from a miserable evening was the 'straight from the horse owner's mouth' news my cousin got from Dr K.

Go on then.

#45 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

Go on then.

Please don't.Until signed,sealed,delivered and the ink on the contract has dried for 48 hours.

Many a slip twixt the cup and the lip. 

#46 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Go on then.

Ok.

Gary: have we signed Rangi Chase?
Marwan: yes, he'll be here next year
Gary: 100%?
Marwan: 200%

#47 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Finally, to set the record straight. After the game at Odsal, I suggested that the Bradford fans were "one-eyed". Last night, I was surrounded by Salford fans screaming "Forward!" and going on about Roby being "bent" all through the second half, from our perfect vantage point behind the sticks :sleep: . So, I take it back. :)  Mr Roby had a decent game, for my money.

Tony, mate - all fans tend to be the same[as I'm sure you already know ;) ] and both Salford and Bradford fans are no different. we all tend to see things just from our own pov - it's just that some of us can reflect and think maybe I wasn't being totally rational last night - and some of us can't!!

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#48 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#49 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

McGoldrick took a drop goal from close range after 36 mins to lead 7-6.  What on earth was he thinking? Why not try for a repeat set or try and close the half out?  Bradford scored twice more in the first half and the game was over.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#50 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Maybe he had attended an ill-advised "How to score effective drop goals against Bradford as a Salford player" lecture lead by Martin Offiah.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 20 May 2013 - 01:31 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#51 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

McGoldrick took a drop goal from close range after 36 mins to lead 7-6.  What on earth was he thinking? Why not try for a repeat set or try and close the half out?  Bradford scored twice more in the first half and the game was over.

It is a difficult choice. I can't remember the sequence of events exactly, but we did force a couple of drop-outs during the first half and we failed to turn pressure into points. Perhaps he just thought "Let's get something for our efforts this time, and see how Bradford respond." If we'd gone on to score next, we'd have been two scores up. Unfortunately, we didn't. :(

And, on reflection, it was probably the only way we were going to score any more points. :sleep:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#52 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

It is a difficult choice. I can't remember the sequence of events exactly, but we did force a couple of drop-outs during the first half and we failed to turn pressure into points. Perhaps he just thought "Let's get something for our efforts this time, and see how Bradford respond." If we'd gone on to score next, we'd have been two scores up. Unfortunately, we didn't. :(

And, on reflection, it was probably the only way we were going to score any more points. :sleep:

Pressure usually tells in the end, he'd have been better knocking on and inviting Bradford to work their way out of your twenty.  Inviting the opposition into your own half with three minutes to go for the sake of a one point lead in a game with over a half remaining is criminal, it gives away a lack of confidence and belief.  I suspect that Mr Noble was far from chuffed with the choice taken.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users