League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

20/05/13 - Leeds Rhinos v St Helens - KO 7.45pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Leeds Rhinos (8 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

2. St Helens (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Yeah, sorry I know. Seeing Watkins do that prompted me to ask a hyperthetical question of if the person playing the ball could put his foot in touch as he regained his feet.

No,the player playing the ball would also be in touch.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#122 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

No,the player playing the ball would also be in touch.

Fairdoos, for some reason I thought there was a grey area between being tackled - which of course you can be in touch - and the ball being "back in play" once it's been played - which Watkins demonstrated. Right, as you were!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#123 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

I've said it before but there is reluctance in the British game to give young players a go. Many coaches (not all) prefer experienced heads out of position rather than trying an untried prospect unless necessary. Wilkin at Saints is the perfect example; never a scrum half...

Saints didn't have a lot of choice with Wilkin at 7. Wheeler is injured, U19 scrum half Danny Yates is injured (been out for months with a hand injury I believe), and HiHo is just a pile of poo who thinks he's a half back.

Percival has real promise, good speed and composure under pressure. If they work on his physical conditioning over the next year and improve his upper body strength he could well be Saints centre for many years to come. Thompson is the other one who has real promise. He's naturally strong for such a young guy and he reminds me of a young Ben Westwood. I just hope Saints dont try to bulk him up and turn him into a prop and keep him as a tough tackling 2nd rower.

#124 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,663 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

Fairdoos, for some reason I thought there was a grey area between being tackled - which of course you can be in touch - and the ball being "back in play" once it's been played - which Watkins demonstrated. Right, as you were!

I think it's an interesting question and I'd ask the refs. Not sure I've seen it happen, but certainly have seen occasions when players have put the ball down on the tryline to play it, and play allowed to continue.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#125 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Saints didn't have a lot of choice with Wilkin at 7. Wheeler is injured, U19 scrum half Danny Yates is injured (been out for months with a hand injury I believe), and HiHo is just a pile of poo who thinks he's a half back.

Percival has real promise, good speed and composure under pressure. If they work on his physical conditioning over the next year and improve his upper body strength he could well be Saints centre for many years to come. Thompson is the other one who has real promise. He's naturally strong for such a young guy and he reminds me of a young Ben Westwood. I just hope Saints dont try to bulk him up and turn him into a prop and keep him as a tough tackling 2nd rower.

What has happened to Charnock? Is there no other halfbacks in the set up other than Gaskell?

Agree about Percival. He is quality; I just hope they don't over do it with him so he loses pace.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#126 Vikingste

Vikingste
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

You have to praise St Helens for this performance with a lot of young players stepping up to the Mark..........It was great to watch on Sky.

Leeds are similar in this respect and so are Wigan and even Huddersfield.

Its a real pleasure to see

Well done Saints.

Grrrrrrrrrr Widnes Fan

#127 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

What has happened to Charnock? Is there no other halfbacks in the set up other than Gaskell?

Agree about Percival. He is quality; I just hope they don't over do it with him so he loses pace.

Charnock played for the u19's last night,looked good.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 21 May 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#128 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

Charnock played for the u10's last night,looked good.

Teehee! Was he the fat kid they always give the ball to?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#129 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Teehee! Was he the fat kid they always give the ball to?

my bad. :drag:

#130 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

i actually think you are right. It certainly sounds familiar to me.

#131 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

i actually think you are right. It certainly sounds familiar to me.

James to be Child would know, he's never around when you need him!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#132 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

I know we have form here - in 2011 and 2012 we reignited our seasons against Leeds

And its getting flippin annoying!!

First half hour was lovely, things going well although felt we should have been another score ahead at least. Then we went flat and Saints stepped it up, all credit to them given their injuries at the moment. Percival really looks good, impresses me every time I see him.

Disappointing from a Leeds perspective, hopefully we can bounce back against Wigan on Sunday but im worried about that game now.

#133 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Makinson's. Superb offload by Manu and terrific composure by Percival to hold off that pass and that nail it at the right moment. I wish Atkins executed like that more often.

whilst your point is right overall, we almost scored a carbon copy try on friday. Waterhouse wuth the pass and tbh Atkins did everything right. Riley fluffed it.

#134 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

Once a player is tackled and is getting up to play the ball, he can put his foot in touch and it doesnt count as being "in touch".

See the rules - http://www.therfl.co...s/official_laws - section 9 point 1

The ball is in touch when it or a player in contact with it touches the touch line or the ground beyond the touch line or any object on or outside the touch line except when a player, tackled in the field of play, steps into touch as he regains his feet in which case he shall play the ball in the field of play.

#135 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Once a player is tackled and is getting up to play the ball, he can put his foot in touch and it doesnt count as being "in touch".

See the rules - http://www.therfl.co...s/official_laws - section 9 point 1

The ball is in touch when it or a player in contact with it touches the touch line or the ground beyond the touch line or any object on or outside the touch line except when a player, tackled in the field of play, steps into touch as he regains his feet in which case he shall play the ball in the field of play.

Ta. Sorry for taking the thread off topic a bit! Blame Watkins and his gaff which led to my pondering. Anyway, I thought so. But at the same time, they should probably just get rid of it, if it does happen @AskTheRef would explode.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#136 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Yeah it was a bad mistake by Watkins but these things happen I suppose!

It would quite honestly be hilarious if that actually happened, no doubt 95% of fans aren't aware of that rule and would go mental!

#137 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

And its getting flippin annoying!!

First half hour was lovely, things going well although felt we should have been another score ahead at least. Then we went flat and Saints stepped it up, all credit to them given their injuries at the moment. Percival really looks good, impresses me every time I see him.

Disappointing from a Leeds perspective, hopefully we can bounce back against Wigan on Sunday but im worried about that game now.

I don't think it's annoying at all! :D

I disagree that Leeds went flat.  They looked pretty much consistent throughout the match.  I think what happened was that pretty much from the moment Ashe triggered the knock on from McGuire, which gave Saints a little boost, we started to believe we could make a match of it.  Then, at some unknown point, we started to believe we could win the match.  Rather than Leeds going flat I think it was Saints who sparked up.

#138 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

I don't think it's annoying at all! :D

I disagree that Leeds went flat.  They looked pretty much consistent throughout the match.  I think what happened was that pretty much from the moment Ashe triggered the knock on from McGuire, which gave Saints a little boost, we started to believe we could make a match of it.  Then, at some unknown point, we started to believe we could win the match.  Rather than Leeds going flat I think it was Saints who sparked up.

Definitely agree that the last 10 minutes of the first half gave Saints the belief they could win. They came out much more lively in the second half and had the momentum to keep going.

#139 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

First half was like a friendly, the second half was like a Final Eliminator.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#140 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,740 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

whilst your point is right overall, we almost scored a carbon copy try on friday. Waterhouse wuth the pass and tbh Atkins did everything right. Riley fluffed it.

Just to be pedantic, Lineham would have stopped him anyway. Atkins should have passed to Myler.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users