Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England v New Zealand - The Cricket Thread

Test Match ODI and T20

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Theres a break in the clouds and its time for the sound of leather upon willow and the start of the International Cricket season between two evenly matched sides.

Conditions in the UK most resemble those found in NZ and the batting line up of Kenny's boy Hamish Rutherford, Peter Fulton, Martin Guptill, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor and Brendan McCullum hold no fear of the swinging ball, which should favour an attack of Trent Boult, Doug Bracewell and Tim Southee. Englands 12 for this test will probably see the omission of Bresnan though its should be Broad

There's a few things to wonder about in this series:

You wonder if :England have learned to pitch the ball up to Brendan NcCullum and not bowl short.

You wonder if Dan Vettori's absence fromn this series realy matters that muc,h since Dan was outbowled by Ashley Giles in 2004 and Monty Panesar in 2008. Could this be the turn for Bruce Martin and has Graham Swann's shoulder reasly recovered from surgery.

You wonder if,and it's a big if, Englands front four get to tea no more than two down whether a combination of Cook, Compton, Trott and Bell really can press home the advantage..

You wonder if someone will shout out "get Rooted" when young Joe comes toi the crease.

You wonder if the Kiwis failure to knock over the last six England wickets on that final day in Auckland leaves any mental scarring.

Black days for the Black Caps or Black Armbands all round at the ECB ?

First Test to be drawn due to weather intervening but then...

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

Someone should tell the English media that this isn't a 'warm up' for the Ashes.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

After the last series in NZ, when most of the action happened in the wee small hours, it'll be nice to be able to follow this series and see terrestrial highlights when I get home.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

That has got to be the most soul destroyingly slow and boring two hours of cricket that I've ever seen.  I know the tactics of the game are completely different to the faster formats but a run rate of under 2 is just abysmal.  Is the aim of England's batting to bore the NZ team into falling asleep, it's working for me....

If it were a union game then the commentators would be going on about the subtleties and nuances of the game that make it so interesting.  Highlights would be restricted to penalty kicks.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

The commentators have just mentioned that the first innings average test scoring rate since 2000 at Lords is 3.41.  England are shuffling away at 2.08.  Just hit the bloody thing!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

105-2 after 50 overs.  I don't think I've ever seen a team bat for a draw on the first day of a test match.

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Even Boycott is saying the batting's too conservative. :O

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Well done to Bell and Root for stopping the rash batting and ensuring the run rate goes back below 2.

#9 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

You'd struggle to think that England were number 2 in the international rankings and NZ 8.

Maybe the last 3 bowlers can show the front line batsmen what to do when batting.

#10 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

Ah well, maybe not.

#11 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

England 232 all out, but Jimmy Anderson's taken a wicket in the first over.

#12 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

300 test wickets for Anderson. Good effort that.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#13 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,351 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Quite amazing to think that Jimmy is only the 4th Englishman to get 300 wickets, and will probably be our second greatest ever wicket taker by the end of the summer.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#14 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Not looking good for England bowling way too short. Amazing how the relaid turf at Lords is cited as the reason why England hit so few boundaries. Obviously no-one told Ross Taylor that. Would not want to be sitting in the front rows square of the wicket tomorrow morning when England bowl short to Brendan McCullum. As they say in the trenches "incoming" ! ....

England are living to regret Broad's inclusion at Bresnan's expense .. and perplexed as to why Cook has not given Joe Root's offspin an exploratory over or two considering Swann is getting prodigious turn on day 2.

Good job rain is forecast for Sunday and Monday.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

#15 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

Dear oh Dear, No rain today, England at least 50 short of a defendable score with New Zealand unlikely to bat as badly again. It seems like the "pre-ashes warm up" is not going according to plan.

Gobsmacked that the fourth estate still thinks England are favourites because with a 250 target you only need two batters to get in to achieve that total. Its all up to the bowlers again and will Anderson and Swann be more supported by Broad and Finn than in the first dig.

One ray of sunshine for England is Joe Root. As with Australians when I get Yorkies telling me how great someone is I take it with a truckload of salt, but based on what I saw in Napier and Auckland and in this Test match this is a fine young prospect that at 22 is only going to get better and is still, given the turn Kane Williamson got, an option as a second spinner.

Still Monday morning headline from the fourth estate is most likely to be Captain Cooked !

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 19 May 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#16 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 796 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

TRR I don't think so now ! I hope you didn't have a bet! At lunch 29/6. I think the target was always defendable, to chase it down would have been the 3rd highest successful chase at Lords. A difficult pitch to get in on.

Edited by Ramite, 19 May 2013 - 12:13 PM.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#17 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Well, that was surprising!

#18 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 796 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thought eng would defend that , but not that easy.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

England are living to regret Broad's inclusion at Bresnan's expense ..

It's great being wrong sometimes, isn't it? :D

#20 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Rain at Headingley means there probably won't be any play 'til after lunch. Looking on the bright side, the first cake has arrived in the TMS box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users