Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England v New Zealand - The Cricket Thread

Test Match ODI and T20

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

Bally cold and windy up here.

#22 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

Much brghter day today, and after batting with the solidity of melting ice cream chasing a modest total at Lords . New Zealand arrive with an unbalanced 4 man seam attack and a part-time off spinner in Kane Williamson with the prospect of calling in Jeetan Patel from Warwickshire which would have strengthened the batting as well as giving more bowling options rejected.

With the make up of the side McCullum has no real option but to bowl if winning the toss which kind of makes it a pointless exercise as Cook will prefer to bat though wiser heads might whisper in his ear that if there looks to be a bit of moisture in the wicket and overhead conditions are favourable he should consider doing what NZ least want him to do and bowl.

The venerable John Reid was of the view to Murray Deaker pre-the tests down in NZ that Kiwi batting fragility was caused by excessive 50 and 20 over cricket with batters getting out going after the bowling. In reality they have been exposed against the moving ball as pitches in New Zealand are flat these days.. in this respect, the recall of Martin Guptill is long overdue and do not be surprised to see him move up the order

But if New Zealand have batting woes, Nick Compton was not viewed as a major loss at Middlesex when he left Lords to go to the flattest track on the County Circuit at Taunton. Stacks of runs for Somerset and on similariliy flat wickets in India and New Zealand meant that his  technical weakness was not exposed until Lords.

Someone who showed much better technical skill was Joe Root on who the fourth estate are going overboard with talk of opening the batting and captaining the side.With his brother on the field as a subsitute fielder and dad in the press box at Lords, Roots were sprouting everywhere, yet as every young player in British sport has to realise that when he has a loss of form  the road from penthouse to outhouse is a swift one with the press.

Jonny Bairstow also needs a run or two. I am not convinced by him as an Test batter having seen him sorted out by Kemar Roach last summer. Another local in Tim Bresnan contends with Steven Finn for an England place with Broad having taken his wickets for the summer in the last test. Given the emphasis Andy Flower places on loyalty I would not be surprised to see Finny retained.

Too much time has already been lost for there to be a positive result unless there is somethinmg in the wicket or bating fragiity continues on both sides. 54 overs are lost from the game already and if you think sides bowl 98 overs in a daye ven with an extra half-hour up to 7.00 added on top of the extra 1/2 hour for the additional 8 hovers the you are optimstic...

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 25 May 2013 - 09:15 AM.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#23 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,151 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Did we not enforce the follow on so that Compton could have another chance to cement his place in the Ashes team? If so it was a failure - out for 7!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#24 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

England's go slow on the second evening gives NZ a chance of a draw if the promised rain turns up on Tuesday. I can understand England batting again and not enforcing the follow on but this is dependent upon scoring enough runs quick enough to give the bowlers at least 4 1/2 session s to bowl the Kiwis out. Theres too much talent in the NZ line up for a third collapse in a row. So England may rue Trotts sonewalling performance which decreased the England run rate just at a time you would have thought it would accelerate, putting pressure on the middle order today to up the tempo.

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 27 May 2013 - 07:12 AM.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#25 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,846 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

I understand the point made by the commentators last night about left handers finding it easier to bat yesterday but the difference between Cook's quite flowing batting and the dross batted by Compton then Trott surely couldn't be solely down to the pitch.  If they're serious about putting up a good score then there was no excuse for no-risk batting by Compton and Trott on what was predicted to be the best weather for batting in the test.  Either hit the bloody ball or get out so someone who will can come in.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#26 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Did we not enforce the follow on so that Compton could have another chance to cement his place in the Ashes team? If so it was a failure - out for 7!

In my opinion Compton is only their because he is the grandson of an England legend.

#27 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,151 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

In my opinion Compton is only their because he is the grandson of an England legend.

An opinion I share.

#28 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 875 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Im not sure he is good enough, but he has had a good couple of years so he has earned a shot at opening. It shows his home ground is Taunton didn't look like England material at Middlesex. The chances of Flower and Cook picking someone because of their relatives is zero.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#29 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,151 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Im not sure he is good enough, but he has had a good couple of years so he has earned a shot at opening. It shows his home ground is Taunton didn't look like England material at Middlesex. The chances of Flower and Cook picking someone because of their relatives is zero.

But certain people can pull strings.  There will be wheels within wheels.  I always thought Alex Stewart benefitted from his dad being the coach.  Not saying he wasn't a good player, but he got more chances than most do to prove himself.  On the other hand Michael Vaughan was playing out of his skin for Yorkshire for years before he got in,

#30 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 875 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

I think certain players have cheerleaders . Hussain with Bopara im thinking of , not quite good enough but Hussain helped his Essex teammate out by mentioning him at every opportunity. Agree 20 years ago when the MCC had more power and the TCCB existed it happened people got a go when they weren't good enough. But I think part of that was down to the structure of English cricket it was long over due reform. IMO Vaughan like Trescothick wasn't really prolific at 1st class cricket before the he made the step up to tests.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

#31 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

In my opinion, Hussain was two-faced; he got the benefit of the doubt for several years before he was captain; a benefit that wasn't offered to rivals from less-fashionable counties. Then, when he was captain, arbitrarily discarded players after one bad performance.

Ashley Giles got 50-odd tests. Phil Tuffnell got 42; Robert Croft had 21, despite both having having a better average.

Neil Fairbrother was only given 10 tests, despite being the lynchpin of the one-day-team. Devon Malcolm was often called up but seldom picked; it seemed to me that he was cynically used to give batsmen like Hussein a period of fast-pace net practice before each test began.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#32 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 875 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

Too many players were dropped after a just one or two poor games around that time. many of them should have never played for England in the firstplace. IIRC in Hussains book he removed himself from the selection panel because he was poor at picking players that could compete in the test arena. That And he was too in favour of horses for courses selections. I will credit him with the helping of Fletcher to drag England from the embarrassments of the early 90s to a half decent team.

[

#33 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

If the rain holds off, play is scheduled to restart at 3:00.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#34 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,846 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

If the rain holds off, play is scheduled to restart at 3:00.

If NZ hold on for a draw then it's almost definitely the fault of England rather than NZ's determination.  A poor decision to not enforce the follow-on followed by dire batting on the 3rd day afternoon and then just batting on beyond stubbornness when the lead reached around 450 and wickets were falling.  Even if England win, it's probably more luck than good play.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#35 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Wicket! One more needed now.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

Job done.

#37 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,846 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

Job done.

Just.  I've seen plenty of umpires walk off with rain at a far lower downpour than that.

That said, NZ looked distinctly ordinary in the batting side of their game.  A good 2-0 result for England.

#38 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Neil Fairbrother was only given 10 tests

For some reason his face never fitted the Test team.  His 10 Tests were pretty spread out.

It was a time when some players could fail again and again and still get picked every time, but others would get a handful of matches spread over years and then never be heard from again.

A bit like the GB/England RL team has been for years.

That's me.  I'm done.

#39 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Had to laugh when play was possible today and England won. JOnathan Agnew was on prime moaning form this morning (something he seems to do constantly these days - has he spent too much time with Boycs?), saying that it was chucking it down, no play would be possible and England only have themselves to blame. Presumably he shut up when there was enough time to win.

I was also rather irritated by the Sky commentators and their whining about England batting too slowly and not declaring early enough. While they have a point - they could have declared about an hour earlier - it's a bit rich hearing attritional players such as Atherton and Hussain having a go at Trott etc.

For the record I partly agree with them (England should have got a move on earlier - Lord knows what Trott was doing), though I did get sick of hearing them and the TMS commentators bang on about it every five minutes. Botham is the worst - he's never happy about anything, ever.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#40 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

2nd one dayer against the kiwis and Dernbach's once again bowling like a tool, why do the selectors keep picking him? perhaps he needs to spend more time in the nets and less in the tattoo parlour, a truly awful bowler.

He'll probably take the last nine wickets now. :no:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users