Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Missing Major Moments in the Game

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

The last couple of days I have found myself in Brighton with work. The night before last I took a walk along the front, in the rain, past the pier (it was closed).

This brought back a memory of the last time I was there - September 2000, when I stayed in Brighton the night before my cousins wedding. Whilst not quite pre-internet times for me, certainly there was no hope of carting my big Pentium II (or whatever it was) around with me, so I was hoping to catch the score of the big play-off game between Saints and Bradford.

I was fretting about the score all night and at about 9.30pm my wife (she wasn't then, but is now) and I walked onto the pier. I was very surprised, as we walked past the bar, to see that the game was being shown live. I dipped into the bar quickly to see the score and saw that Bradford were winning 11-10, with just a few seconds left and although Saints had the ball, they were in their own half.

Allowing myself a little fist pump, I turned on my heel and walked back up the pier, looking forward to the next round of the play-offs.

I think that it was Wednesday when I finally found out about Wide to West.
People called Romans they go the house

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

Haha! Yeah, I didn't. Still get goosebumps watching it on YouTube.

Good thread idea though.

(While not RL I still giggle when I think of the Man City fans trying to climb up those concrete spiral ramps to get back in to the game against QPR. Serves them right.)

I suppose technically I missed the Don Fox Wembley moment... I guess it's a lot harder now to miss out on those big moments. I don't even nip to the loo during a game just for that very reason!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,005 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

I once went to watch Cas and on the day before I realised Leeds United were at home to SUnderland at lunch time so thought I'd take that in as well.

M1 traffic meant I was 10 mins late and missed Leeds' first goal and in my desire to get to Cas in time for kick off I had to leave approx 5 mins before the end.

Leeds won 2-0 and I missed both goals.

Cas won!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#4 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

(While not RL I still giggle when I think of the Man City fans trying to climb up those concrete spiral ramps to get back in to the game against QPR. Serves them right.)

On the RL theme, I remember some Leeds fans trying to get back into the ground after they turned around the 2003 Challenge Cup Semi against Saints.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 16 May 2013 - 12:05 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#5 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

On the RL theme, I remember some Leeds fans trying to get back into the ground after they turned around the 2003 Challenge Cup Semi against Saints.

Yeah I was there for that, one of the best games ive been to primarily for that ending. Cant understand anyone leaving early unless you had to be somewhere and had no choice!

#6 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 482 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

My mate left Wigan v saints many years ago at half time, got home, switched radio on saints were winning ruahedimto house to se inga score winning try (and look vr knackered).....serves him right !

#7 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

I missed Adrian Morley's 12-second red card in the 2003 Ashes due to being stuck in traffic.

#8 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,607 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:10 AM

I missed the infamous pitch invasion after the Hull v Leeds Challenge Cup semi in 2000 (?). We left right on the final whistle and couldn't understand what my old man was on about when I got home until I saw the news a bit later.

Edited by deluded pom?, 18 May 2013 - 07:10 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#9 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

Missed the 1982 Cup Final Replay.  Was stuck on a school field trip near Scarborough. Even though we managed to get tickets & pleaded with the school, we were threatened with expulsion if we went. Ended up listening on a tiny portable radio which kept drifting in & out and occasionally switching itself to radio luxemburg. Didn't get over the disappointment till Cardiff in 2005.  

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#10 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,607 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

Missed the 1982 Cup Final Replay.  Was stuck on a school field trip near Scarborough. Even though we managed to get tickets & pleaded with the school, we were threatened with expulsion if we went. Ended up listening on a tiny portable radio which kept drifting in & out and occasionally switching itself to radio luxemburg. Didn't get over the disappointment till Cardiff in 2005.  

I was at that one ;) but didn't get in until twenty minutes in. I think it was about 2-0 at the time we eventually were let in and marched around the pitch so they could let us onto the terraces on the far side. We originally tried to get into the stadium at the "Hull end" but it was packed and they had to find room elsewhere.

Edited by deluded pom?, 18 May 2013 - 08:34 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#11 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

Was at my aunt's in the deep Northumbrian countryside when a terrible Wire side beat an all-powerful Bulls side 18-14 at Wilderspool (2001?). I was very much in place a month later when the same opposition ran 84 points past us.

And I was visiting the missus in Brussels in 2009 on the day of the 'Lee Briers drop goal' quarter-final against Hull KR. My phone bill took a severe beating from waiting on the line to my parents, sitting on the pavement with my head in my hands, as it went deep into extra time.

Obviously I've missed quite a lot of rugby since moving to foreign in 2011, but happily most of the major moments have been on TV or I've got back to see them.

Edited by Just Browny, 18 May 2013 - 09:05 AM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#12 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,237 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

That was the first game of RL I took my son then aged 7 to see.  I took him to one or two Fev games the following season.  When we got to Wembley I promised to take him "next time"  Still waiting! :ph34r: He's 38 now!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users