Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Super League League Reconstruction

which of these 3 options

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

Poll: Super League Format (129 member(s) have cast votes)

Which opition/format for Super league do you want from 2015 onwards?

1. Voted Option 1 - Super League reverts to a 12-team competition (from 14) and a 10 or 12-team Championship, with one club promoted and relegated each year. (48 votes [37.21%])

Percentage of vote: 37.21%

2. Voted Option 2 - A two division Super League with each division comprising of 10 teams. (19 votes [14.73%])

Percentage of vote: 14.73%

3. Voted Opition 3 - Two divisions of 12 in Super League with teams playing each other one to provide 11 fixtures before spliting into 3 groups of 8 in mi-season then playing each other home & away to provide 14 more Matches. (62 votes [48.06%])

Percentage of vote: 48.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Stevens

Stevens
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

Option 1 - Super League reverts to a 12-team competition (from 14) and a 10 or 12-team Championship, with one club promoted and relegated each year.

Option 2 - A two-division Super League with each division comprising 10 teams.

Option 3 - Two divisions of 12 in Super League, with teams playing each other once to provide 11 fixtures before splitting into three groups of eight in mid-season and then playing each other home and away to provide 14 more matches.

which option for you and why?

me option 1 keep it simple and super league can not properly fund more than 12 teams to the requirements needed to make the game high quality.

my order of preference is

option 1

then

option 2

then option 3

these 3 options are the only options available for super league format from 2015 onwards.

Edited by Stevens, 16 May 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#2 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Why no Option 4 - keep it as is?

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

I honestly don't know what the difference is between options 1 and 2

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

14 teams, with conditional P&R.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#5 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

I honestly don't know what the difference is between options 1 and 2

2 teams in the top league I think (and potentially 2 in the lower league).  Also P&R numbers not defined in option 2.

Personally for me 10/12 team superleague (with full time palyers) and a championship structure beneath with part-time semi-pros.  No P&R and review every few years (say 3) to see if we can take another couple of teams commercially.

For me the gulf between pro and semi-pro (and Full time v Part time) is too great to be conducive to P&R.

Edited by SE4Wire, 16 May 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#6 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

Option 1 make it a straight forward question with no  10/12 12/14  its either one or the other.

You will finish up with another debate on option 1. A well it is Rugby League.

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Whilst I like Option 3 - or a similar version that I wrote on here about 6 months ago - I fear it may be too radical at the current time, and I'd be happy with Option 1.

I don;t think any option will fix all the games ills, nor will any kill the game off. There are pro's an cons to them all.

#8 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Whilst I like Option 3 - or a similar version that I wrote on here about 6 months ago - I fear it may be too radical at the current time, and I'd be happy with Option 1.

I don;t think any option will fix all the games ills, nor will any kill the game off. There are pro's an cons to them all.

A streamlined Super League should at least raise intensity and prompt a move back to top five playoffs.

It should also free up £2.4m pa in central funding which could go a long way towards helping the 10 Championship clubs move towards full time professionalism.

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Option 3 - Two divisions of 12 in Super League, with teams playing each other once to provide 11 fixtures before splitting into three groups of eight in mid-season and then playing each other home and away to provide 14 more matches.

which option for you and why?

This - shake the lot of them up and damn the consequences, it will be fascinating.

#10 Stevens

Stevens
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

The reconstruction debate is a bit like the one happening in Scottish (Premier) League.

Perhaps it is time for the two of SPL and Rugby League's Super League to sit down and learn from each other i.e. the advantages and disadvantages of implementing something is to see if the idea used by one but not the other could be implemented in the other competition to improve it or not.

Like would super League benefit from having all seated stadia like the Scottish Premier League has.

Would the Scottish Premier League benefit from implementing a wage cap like happens in rugby League's Super League. 

a bbc sport article from the 2001 compared the two competitions plus the county cricket championship, the football League's championship (then call Nationwide Division 1) and Rugby Union's then called Guinness Premiership in the article.

http://news.bbc.co.u...age/2525065.stm

Edited by Stevens, 16 May 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,348 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

As it is now but back to 12 teams.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#12 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Last paragraph absolutely spot on. Think a lot of people need to realise this.

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,700 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

12 team SL with licensing

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#14 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Just to be unclear, we should copy the Belgian football system.

#15 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Or contact Littlewoods Pools to see if one of their old LIT plans could be of any use. :P

#16 Stevens

Stevens
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

serious point

8 teams super league playing each other team in the league 4 times

or a 16 Team super league playing each other team in the league 2 times for 30 games per super league edition. 

The reason I ask is quality v quantity

the smaller the number of teams in Super league group/division the higher the quality of the teams played each week but the more times the same teams in super league will have to play each other in order that the fixtures played by each club in each edition of super League is a close to 28 games as possible.

the larger the number of teams in Super league group/division the higher the lower the quality of teams played each week but the less times the same teams in super league will have to play each other in order that the fixtures played by each club in each edition of super League is a close to 28 games as possible.

#17 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

14 teams, based on 3 year licences.

Top 5 play offs to decide the winner.

Job done.

That's me.  I'm done.

#18 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Option 1 for me...

Posted Image

#19 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

14 teams, based on 3 year licences.

Top 5 play offs to decide the winner.

Job done.

Wonder if you'd say the same if Huddersfield were stuck in div 2 ?

#20 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

A streamlined Super League should at least raise intensity and prompt a move back to top five playoffs.

It should also free up £2.4m pa in central funding which could go a long way towards helping the 10 Championship clubs move towards full time professionalism.

It would also condem the championship clubs who finish outside the top 10 to financal ruin. If this idea is going to happen it should wait unti after a season where daul reg does not slew the balance

Edited by Plan of Attack, 16 May 2013 - 08:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users