TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Super League League Reconstruction

which of these 3 options

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

Poll: Super League Format (129 member(s) have cast votes)

Which opition/format for Super league do you want from 2015 onwards?

1. Voted Option 1 - Super League reverts to a 12-team competition (from 14) and a 10 or 12-team Championship, with one club promoted and relegated each year. (48 votes [37.21%])

Percentage of vote: 37.21%

2. Voted Option 2 - A two division Super League with each division comprising of 10 teams. (19 votes [14.73%])

Percentage of vote: 14.73%

3. Voted Opition 3 - Two divisions of 12 in Super League with teams playing each other one to provide 11 fixtures before spliting into 3 groups of 8 in mi-season then playing each other home & away to provide 14 more Matches. (62 votes [48.06%])

Percentage of vote: 48.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Option 1 for me...

Very good read I agree with the majority.

#22 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

It would also condem the championship clubs who finish outside the top 10 to financal ruin.

No it wouldn't. It would be no different to how it is now.

Posted Image

#23 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

In all seriousness, this is my CAST IRON plan for Superleague success.

1.  All the teams names are placed in a pot and drawn out on live TV to find out who will play who in the Superleague

2.  The paired up teams will play each other a number of times in a row, alternating home and away, with the number of fixtures chosen by Alex Murphy rolling an eight sided die (1d8, for any old enough and geeky enough to know what that means).

3.  The 5 teams with the best points difference after the first phase will then play off against the bottom 5 teams in a decider round.  The middle four teams will have the week off, before playing four of the five losing teams (drawn at random).  The overall winners from this process will form the top league, and the losers will form the second tier.

4.  The teams  will play the other teams in their own leagues twice, home and away, and each of the other league teams at a neutral venue chosen by Phil Taylor throwing darts at a map in a glitzy ceremony to be held in a pub in Sharlston.

5.  All the results will be totted up, with each teams best 2 and worst 2 results removed, to create a final league table, after which the League Leaders Shield will be awarded.  As not all teams will have played each other the same number of times, there will then be a 9 team play off, comprising the best 4 teams from the top division, 3 teams from the lower division, and 2 teams from France (Catalans and the winners of a play off match between the highest place non-qualifying team in the main group and the French Champions)

6.  The "Super 9" playoffs will then work as follows

Week 1

1v9, 2v8, 3v7, 4v6.  Winners go through.  5th place team gets a bye

Week 2

4 Losers from first round participate in a 7s tournament, everyone else gets a bye

Week 3

The winners from Week 1 play off against each other on the Saturday, with the winning team that concedes the most points playing a knockout match against the winners of the 7s tournament in Week 2 on the Sunday.  This will leave two winners overall who will go onto...

Week 4

The Grand Final.  A straight play off to crown the Champions.   Winners get a tacky ring with an S on it. 

But the thing that really makes this innovative, that will really get the punters in?   At half time in every match, the losing team will chose a player on the winning side to swap sides, leaving the second half to be played 12 vs 14.

This is clever, innovative, provides a clear incentive to all teams, allows progression for lower sides, and will encourage teams to make the most of their younger, British players.

How can it fail?

• amh likes this

That's me.  I'm done.

#24 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

Wonder if you'd say the same if Huddersfield were stuck in div 2 ?

Yes, I would.  I've been watching Huddersfield, geography permitting, for well over 20 years.  For the first decade of that the club had no hope whatsover of competing in the top division.  I still watched, along with about 2,000 others.  We had a cracking rivalry with Keighley going in the early to mid 90s as I recall.

That's me.  I'm done.

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Remain as it is for me but reduce the period to 2 years. ie whoever gets promoted gets a years grace to adapt. So someone gets promoted every other year. No need to panic because people keep repeating that RL is in trouble.

#26 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

In all seriousness, this is my CAST IRON plan for Superleague success.

How can it fail?

You have too much time on your hands.

Posted Image

#27 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Very good read I agree with the majority.

:good:

Posted Image

#28 Stevens

Stevens
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

LACK OF STRENGTH IN DEPTH IS THE PROBLEM FACING MANY SPORTS LEAGUE'S INCLUDING THE SUPER League in Rugby LEAGUE.

I originally wanted a ten team Super League in order for the quality of Super League to be of a high(er) quality and stop the resources being spread to thinly.  However since teams would play each other team in the league in the regular season twice that gives only 18 games 9 home and 9 away in the regular season which is seen as too few fixtures ,

SO I will stick with favouring Option 1 a 12 team super league (with 22 fixtures in the regular season).

Edited by Stevens, 16 May 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#29 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hope Martyn Sadler is taking note of the poll so far.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#30 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:33 PM

It would also condem the championship clubs who finish outside the top 10 to financal ruin. If this idea is going to happen it should wait unti after a season where daul reg does not slew the balance

What do you base that assertion on? It'll simply free those clubs outside the Championship to compete at a more appropriate and sustainable level until such a time that they're ready to step up.

#31 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

No it wouldn't. It would be no different to how it is now.

Dropping into the bottom division would see you travelling greater distances on lower crowds and if you happened to be more successful it would also see you paying out more win bonuses, that looks like a formula for ruin to me.

Players would be able too get more coin playing at some amateur clubs.

Edited by Marauder, 16 May 2013 - 10:47 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#32 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

whoever gets promoted gets a years grace to adapt.

Where are Cas & HKR now after six years of adapting?

#33 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

until such a time that they're ready to step up.

How long have CC1 clubs been getting "ready" and what advancements have they made?

#34 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

Dropping into the bottom division would see you travelling greater distances on lower crowds and if you happened to be more successful it would also see you paying out more win bonuses, that looks like a formula for ruin to me.

Hunslet would close

#35 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

12 team franchised SL (with mergers) and 4 targeted expansion clubs to make 16 and come in line with NRL from, say, 2016.

That this isn't even being discussed is somewhere between stupidity and cowardice IMHO.

#36 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

Go on DSK, lay the teams on me. I am interested.

12 team franchised SL (with mergers) and 4 targeted expansion clubs to make 16 and come in line with NRL from, say, 2016.

That this isn't even being discussed is somewhere between stupidity and cowardice IMHO.

#37 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

12 team franchised SL (with mergers) and 4 targeted expansion clubs to make 16 and come in line with NRL from, say, 2016. That this isn't even being discussed is somewhere between stupidity and cowardice IMHO.

Don't you think they'd love to do this DSK.

It cannot be clearer when chairmen of established SL clubs are stepping down, and stopping investing that 14 clubs in traditional areas where the main fanbase is, is unaffordable.

As for expansion clubs what could be more important? London go backwards despite heavy funding, Crusaders lasted a couple of years before the money ran out, Gateshead lasted a year.

On a fag packet calculation SL is currently short of £8,000,000 a year to run a competitive Superleague, to try to run one with Gateshead and Wales in, that figure would run up to £12,000,000.

We only get £18,000,000 a year, your proposal would need £30,000,000.

If you haven't got the money that isn't being "stupid" nor "cowardly".

You yourself in the financial microcosm of HKR know that despite 7,500 fans Mr. Hudgell has to find £500,000 a year just to put a competitive team on the pitch, if he wanted to match the big clubs and have the backroom staff and facilities as well that figure could be another £500,000.

Were always concluding that it's all about money, then completely disregarding that when making up league formats.

Edited by The Parksider, 17 May 2013 - 08:29 AM.

#38 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

12 teams in a licensed league. Play each other home and away, plus Magic Weekend. Top 5 into the play offs.

We simply do not have the resources (players, finances, investors, supporters, broadcasters, sponsors) for anything more than this. At the moment we have two or three clubs with strong squads, then a stack of clubs with strong 17's but nothing behind that, and then a couple of clubs with barely a strong 17.

Shortening the season by 4 weeks would also give the players a longer off-season which is very important. At the moment we flog them to death - why? Because we don't have the resources.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#39 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

12 teams in a licensed league. Play each other home and away, plus Magic Weekend. Top 5 into the play offs.

We simply do not have the resources (players, finances, investors, supporters, broadcasters, sponsors) for anything more than this. At the moment we have two or three clubs with strong squads, then a stack of clubs with strong 17's but nothing behind that, and then a couple of clubs with barely a strong 17.

Shortening the season by 4 weeks would also give the players a longer off-season which is very important. At the moment we flog them to death - why? Because we don't have the resources.

This is exactly what we had in 1998...............

After that they started playing each other three times, and introducing expansion clubs........

#40 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

This is exactly what we had in 1998...............

After that they started playing each other three times, and introducing expansion clubs........

The 12 clubs would get an extra 150-200 grand each to compensate for the loss of 2 games.

Also I think, and I don't know if I can prove it or it's simply a hunch, that by having two fewer home games they would attract higher attendances at the games that do take place. Scarcity, and all that. Make sure that each game is not only a genuine contest but an event that cannot be missed.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users