Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Super League League Reconstruction

which of these 3 options

• Please log in to reply
441 replies to this topic

Poll: Super League Format (129 member(s) have cast votes)

Which opition/format for Super league do you want from 2015 onwards?

1. Voted Option 1 - Super League reverts to a 12-team competition (from 14) and a 10 or 12-team Championship, with one club promoted and relegated each year. (48 votes [37.21%])

Percentage of vote: 37.21%

2. Voted Option 2 - A two division Super League with each division comprising of 10 teams. (19 votes [14.73%])

Percentage of vote: 14.73%

3. Voted Opition 3 - Two divisions of 12 in Super League with teams playing each other one to provide 11 fixtures before spliting into 3 groups of 8 in mi-season then playing each other home & away to provide 14 more Matches. (62 votes [48.06%])

Percentage of vote: 48.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

12 teams in a licensed league. Play each other home and away, plus Magic Weekend. Top 5 into the play offs.

We simply do not have the resources (players, finances, investors, supporters, broadcasters, sponsors) for anything more than this. At the moment we have two or three clubs with strong squads, then a stack of clubs with strong 17's but nothing behind that, and then a couple of clubs with barely a strong 17.

Shortening the season by 4 weeks would also give the players a longer off-season which is very important. At the moment we flog them to death - why? Because we don't have the resources.

So in effect we're disappearing up our own backside then? Do you not think that allowing more good players to compete at higher intensity on a regular basis might just be beneficial long term in improving the situation you describe above? The game has become stale and needs to reinvent itself before its too late.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#42 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

So in effect we're disappearing up our own backside then? Do you not think that allowing more good players to compete at higher intensity on a regular basis might just be beneficial long term in improving the situation you describe above? The game has become stale and needs to reinvent itself before its too late.

You don't generate improved quality and intensity in the long term by dropping sides down to a lower pseudo division.  As I've said a number of times I'm disappointed that fans and officials of the clubs at the top of the second tier of Rugby League are happy to become the clubs at the bottom of the second tier of Rugby League.  More so when they have fought so hard to join the top tier.

If the splitting proposal is carried forward we will see a detachment in terms of quality between the top six/eight teams and the bottom four/six teams in the next couple of seasons, perhaps the top four in the championship will raise their level initially, but I don't see fans buying tickets for this competition in the long run.  

#43 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,108 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

"disappearing up our own backside" blimey!!!.

It may escape your notice but the English Rugby Union Premiership works on 12 clubs on a consistent basis, and it has not led to the game "disappearing up it's own backside".

The proposal from Nadera has a lot of sense to it as there is a possibility it would be a more financially sound set up.It's not a massive risk as it was done before, and the question has to be asked if it had been kept in place where would the game be today?

It may be that consistency and a settled structure would have saved a lot of wasted money, and allowed 12 clubs to grow into true Superleague clubs. As it is we're heading for an 8 club Superleague.

Bottom line for you is if Mr. Nahaboo and other investment partners are really prepared to fund full cap year on year then you would easily be in a 12 club Superleague, Cas would probably not, and you can then go and show us how Rovers CAN be a top club again.

I don't think you've thunk this through.

#44 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,108 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

1. You don't generate improved quality and intensity in the long term by dropping sides down to a lower pseudo division.  

2. As I've said a number of times I'm disappointed that fans and officials of the clubs at the top of the second tier of Rugby League are happy to become the clubs at the bottom of the second tier of Rugby League.

1. Hear hear.

2. And that clubs in the top tier are happy to be relegated to the second tier en masse

What that says to me is they have come to the conclusion Superleague is too rich for them. Chairmen stepping down all round....

#45 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

You don't generate improved quality and intensity in the long term by dropping sides down to a lower pseudo division.  As I've said a number of times I'm disappointed that fans and officials of the clubs at the top of the second tier of Rugby League are happy to become the clubs at the bottom of the second tier of Rugby League.  More so when they have fought so hard to join the top tier.

If the splitting proposal is carried forward we will see a detachment in terms of quality between the top six/eight teams and the bottom four/six teams in the next couple of seasons, perhaps the top four in the championship will raise their level initially, but I don't see fans buying tickets for this competition in the long run.  

From my own point of view all I want for Fev is the opportunity to get to the top level of the sport via performance on the pitch which in my opinion is how it should be done. If the finance and cap situation can be sorted for the middle tier then I don't see why Rovers or any other Championship club cannot compete with the lower end SL clubs and indeed overtake them. To me that's an exciting prospect.

I see what you're saying about the CC clubs who have worked so hard and maybe there's a place awaiting Fev right now in the current SL format, but my prime concern is what's best for the good of the game and I don't believe this licensing system is. The sport has become stale and option three seems to provide excitement and intensity for all clubs, all season long.

#46 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,965 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

Where are Cas & HKR now after six years of adapting?

Where would they be had they not been promoted?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#47 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

"disappearing up our own backside" blimey!!!.It may escape your notice but the English Rugby Union Premiership works on 12 clubs on a consistent basis, and it has not led to the game "disappearing up it's own backside".The proposal from Nadera has a lot of sense to it as there is a possibility it would be a more financially sound set up.It's not a massive risk as it was done before, and the question has to be asked if it had been kept in place where would the game be today?It may be that consistency and a settled structure would have saved a lot of wasted money, and allowed 12 clubs to grow into true Superleague clubs. As it is we're heading for an 8 club Superleague.Bottom line for you is if Mr. Nahaboo and other investment partners are really prepared to fund full cap year on year then you would easily be in a 12 club Superleague, Cas would probably not, and you can then go and show us how Rovers CAN be a top club again.I don't think you've thunk this through.

But I have thought it through, just look at the dwindling attendances throughout the pro game. Fans are becoming bored and that's why the people who are running the sport are taking these radical steps to change direction.

#48 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,965 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

But I have thought it through, just look at the dwindling attendances throughout the pro game. Fans are becoming bored and that's why the people who are running the sport are taking these radical steps to change direction.

Are they though? Or are they just panicking because certain people keep telling them that RL is in trouble? Certain people that have more sway than the average fan that is.

#49 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Just to be unclear, we should copy the Belgian football system.

:D

Can you imagine the impact on the TRL servers if they went for that?! Absolutely insane, and well worth a read...

Each of the 16 competitors in the Pro League hosts every other team once in the regular season, for a total of 30 matches between July and March.

A playoff phase is then played from March to May. The point system in the playoffs is the same as during the regular season, except that each team starts with half of the points they won in the regular season, rounded up to the nearest integer. The points gained by rounding are deducted in the case of a tie.

The top 6 teams from the regular season enter the playoffs 1, with the first-placed team winning the championship of Belgium. Each team plays their opponents twice, and the teams are ranked by points, points from rounding, wins, etc. as in the regular season.

Teams ranked 7 to 14 after the regular season enter the playoffs 2, with teams ranked 7th, 9th, 12th and 14th entering the group A and teams ranked 8th, 10th, 11th and 13th entering the group B. In each group, each team plays each of its 3 opponents twice. The winner of each group plays the final game in two legs, to determine the winner of the playoffs 2. The winner of the playoffs 2 then plays a home and away game against either the fourth-placed or fifth-placed team from the playoffs 1 for the final Europa League ticket, with the opponent depending on the fact if the Belgian Cup winner ended in the top four of the playoff 1 or not.

Teams ranked 15th and 16th after the regular season enter the relegation playoff. It consists of 5 games between the 2 teams. The 15th-placed team starts the playoffs with 3 points whereas the 16th-placed team starts from zero. The loser of the relegation playoff is relegated to the second division. The winner of that playoff enters the Belgian Second Division Final Round with 3 teams from the second division. The winner of this Final Round plays in the First Division the season thereafter.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#50 ov fev

ov fev
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

Yes, I would.  I've been watching Huddersfield, geography permitting, for well over 20 years.  For the first decade of that the club had no hope whatsover of competing in the top division.  I still watched, along with about 2,000 others.  We had a cracking rivalry with Keighley going in the early to mid 90s as I recall.

That's not the same though is it. At that time there was always a chance of being promoted. Don't care what you say when you started the new season you always had a glimmer of hope that you would get promoted.

You weren't stuck in a division with nowhere to go.

Suppose you would no be happy for keighly to go out of business because that's what would happy if RL listened to your views.

Option 3 by far the best option btw

Enables teams to try and close the gap over time without committing financial suicide, there would be something to play for in almost every game therefore generating more interest for fans.

I'm sure in time little fev will be getting better crowds than the shockingly supported Huddersfield

#51 ov fev

ov fev
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

Are they though? Or are they just panicking because certain people keep telling them that RL is in trouble? Certain people that have more sway than the average fan that is.

Super league boring, fans are dwindling.

Funny that fev are only one of 4 teams who who's attendances have improved.

Game needs a change. The should force through option 3 like they did super league all those yeas ago

#52 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,965 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

Super league boring, fans are dwindling.

Its boring because you say so? Right

Fans dwindling? If its so boring why did attendances manage to improve over the years?

Its strange how critics are suddenly ignoring all the progress made in recent times like improved crowds and viewing figures yet at the first sign of a blip jump on it to use it as an illustration that its rubbish anyway.

#53 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

From my own point of view all I want for Fev is the opportunity to get to the top level of the sport via performance on the pitch which in my opinion is how it should be done. If the finance and cap situation can be sorted for the middle tier then I don't see why Rovers or any other Championship club cannot compete with the lower end SL clubs and indeed overtake them. To me that's an exciting prospect.

I see what you're saying about the CC clubs who have worked so hard and maybe there's a place awaiting Fev right now in the current SL format, but my prime concern is what's best for the good of the game and I don't believe this licensing system is. The sport has become stale and option three seems to provide excitement and intensity for all clubs, all season long.

This is where you and I differ. Your aim seems to be to have teams enter SL and compete with the teams at the bottom of that competition.

My aim is to create a genuinely elite top-flight competition. I want a league where every team can compete with one another, that on any given day can win games and even win championships. That's the only way RL is going to be able to progress and keep up with the Aussies (and other sports) over the next ten-twenty years. That's the only way we're going to be able to attract top-end sponsorship and broadcasting deals. That's the only way we're going to attract the media attention we deserve. And if we do it properly then we'll be able to generate enough resources (players, finances, sponsors, etc, etc) to increase the number of teams in that top-flight competition. But it has to happen in that order.

And I say all of this as a fan of a club (London Broncos) who are so horrendously run that I can find very little reason to justify including them in a 12 team competition.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#54 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

This won't give Featherstone anything like that opportunity.  The top segment will have grown away from the watered down contrived second tier in the time it would take Rovers or any current championship club to grow into topping that league.

In truth I think the attitude of many Featherstone fans to this proposal betrays their true belief about their club.  It cannot compete with the top clubs, so by getting to compete against the middle ground they're happy and would be appeased.  When the calls come for the funding of those finishing towards the bottom of the superleague are heard, we'll have what in effect?  A bigger championship and fewer clubs in the real superleague.

14 teams, with P&R. Bring it on.

#55 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,108 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

Where would they be had they not been promoted?

Scrubbing around the top half of CC on 1500-2000 crowds like fev and Fax I suppose....

Where will they be if they get relegated next year?

#56 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,108 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

The accountants for instance.

Maybe the accountants reports have led to SL chairmen "standing down" and maybe the accountants reports can't square a CC clubs finances stretching to a £6,000,000 turnover SKY money or not.

For me the financial gulf is no longer between clubs 14 (bottom of SL)and 15 (top of CC).

More like between clubs 8 and 9....

#57 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,965 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Scrubbing around the top half of CC on 1500-2000 crowds like fev and Fax I suppose....

Where will they be if they get relegated next year?

Yes, so them being promoted was a good thing then. If they get relegated they will be in a far better position from which to build.

#58 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

the attitude of many of the fev fans is they want their chance at returning to the top , agreed at the mo we are far away from the elite few in the S/L but so are the bottom teams in the S/L .

they have had years to try and get there whilst we have faced a closed shop, the new proposals give us an opportunity to compete against the bottom of the S/L and if successful then move to the next level , given an even playing field there is no reason why we cant do it but at the very least we ,along with 3 or 4 others in the championship deserve the chance or the hope of one day getting there

option 3 gives us that and surely when the second part kicks in the 2nd tier will be very competative and that can only be a good thing for the game . investors are starting to come forward into the less fashionable teams (us and salford) and they have to be given hope that their cash will result in a shot of getting up there with the big boys , again has to be good for the game that they are coming forward

#59 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:42 AM

Go on DSK, lay the teams on me. I am interested.

Bradford
Bristol *
Calder (Wakefield, Castleford & Featherstone)
Catalan
Cheshire (Warrington & Widnes)
Cumbria (Barrow, Whitehaven & Workington, likely playing out of Carlisle)
Edinburgh *
Huddersfield/Halifax
Kingston-upon-Hull (Hull KR & Hull FC)
Leeds
London Broncos
London Skolars *
Salford
St Helens
Toulouse *
Wigan

* = Future expansion team to join only in, say, 2016

#60 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Huddersfield/Halifax isn't either/or, btw. Club serves both cities, both names in the title.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users