Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League gets support from unexpected quarters - Marion Le Pen

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,161 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

And by doing that they emphasise his importance.

No one is asking you to be comfortable. I'm simply suggesting that you shouldn't feel uncomfortable.

How is it emphasising his importance? It's pointing out how thick and ignorant people like him are by purporting to follow bands that are strongly anti-racist. A bit like being racist and following a sport that gave players like Ces Thompson a break aeons ago.

Edited by Johnoco, 22 May 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#62 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,398 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

If Marion Le Pen, who I'd never heard of before seeing this thread, 

Hang on.

Really?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#63 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,623 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Hang on.

Really?

I'm well aware that Marine Le Pen is the leader of the FN, but until this thread was created I wasn't aware of the existence of her niece Marion, who is apparently a Rugby League supporter.

I obviously lack your deep interest in and knowledge of right wing groups in France.

#64 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Sarcasm's really big and clever, Martyn. ;)
  • emigrated roughyed likes this

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#65 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,623 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

Sarcasm's really big and clever, Martyn. ;)

Was I being sarcastic?

I just thought I was drawing a logical conclusion from GingerJon's posting.

Sarcasm in your eyes, perhaps!

#66 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,535 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

Anybody is welcome to watch and support Rugby league in my eyes as long as they cause no trouble and just watch the game.

I would give them no prominence, importance etc. and they shouldnt be able to use the game for political reasons but no way should anybody be banned.

Otherwise where do we stop?

#67 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

Anybody is welcome to watch and support Rugby league in my eyes as long as they cause no trouble and just watch the game.

I would give them no prominence, importance etc. and they shouldnt be able to use the game for political reasons but no way should anybody be banned.

Agree with this. Unfortunately Martyn's already taken the thread down a slightly pathetic, faux-Daily Mail route so anyone with concerns about hard right groups are being 'offended'.

Comme d'hab. As Marion might say.

Edited by Just Browny, 22 May 2013 - 06:01 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#68 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,703 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

Agree with this. Unfortunately Martyn's already taken the thread down a slightly pathetic, faux-Daily Mail route so anyone with concerns about hard right groups are being 'offended'.

:lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#69 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

100% agree.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#70 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Martyn does so love a debate JB.

• Just Browny likes this

#71 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

About time people took their head out of the sand after todays events.That wasn't far right fanatics.

#72 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

About time people took their head out of the sand after todays events.That wasn't far right fanatics.

It's difficult rto get farther right than the views and attitudes of islamic terrorists.

#73 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

Lovely stuff.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#74 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,703 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

It's difficult rto get farther right than the views and attitudes of islamic terrorists.

sadly, you are correct.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#75 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,161 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

What the hell does this have to do with it? Who on earth would welcome people with views like that? And they certainly were far right supremacists.

#76 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,623 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

You really do post some nonsense sometimes. As I advised Johnoco earlier, if you are going to cite my name in favour of an argument you are trying to make, try to reflect my views accurately, rather than making yourself look silly by making puerile assertions..

#77 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,161 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

You really do post some nonsense sometimes. As I advised Johnoco earlier, if you are going to cite my name in favour of an argument you are trying to make, try to reflect my views accurately, rather than making yourself look silly by making puerile assertions..

I did. You said you had no problem with her promoting RL, regardless of her political views. I don't think we can or should disregard the views of people who associate themselves with RL. If we are somehow seen to be sympathetic to anyone with extreme views then we will lose more in the long run. Moreover, its not an accurate reflection of RL so why risk tainting RL by associating with such people? It will end in tears

#78 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,623 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

I did. You said you had no problem with her promoting RL, regardless of her political views. I don't think we can or should disregard the views of people who associate themselves with RL. If we are somehow seen to be sympathetic to anyone with extreme views then we will lose more in the long run. Moreover, its not an accurate reflection of RL so why risk tainting RL by associating with such people? It will end in tears

You said that I would be happy to see Nick Griffin sponsoring Super League, so I could hardly fail to respond to that assertion.

Again, with regard to Ms Le Pen or someone else with extreme views, the key points are whether she has an official role, or whether she is speaking as a supporter of the game, and what message she is giving out.

Last year I had dinner with George Galloway prior to the Bulls' Good Friday game against Leeds.

I was happy to do so, because Galloway, who had just been elected to Parliament, was there to support the Bulls' fundraising effort.

But I wouldn't be too keen to see him joining the Bradford board of directors.

#79 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,161 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

I didn't say you would be happy about Griffin sponsoring SL, I was using an example whereby you implied we should just forget peoples political views as longas they are promoting RL. I think Galloway is a ###### and a chancer but he isn't comparable to Griffin.

#80 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:02 AM

I didn't say you would be happy about Griffin sponsoring SL, I was using an example whereby you implied we should just forget peoples political views as longas they are promoting RL. I think Galloway is a ###### and a chancer but he isn't comparable to Griffin.

Galloway will be grinning from ear to ear today im afraid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users