Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Another BBC triumph?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,651 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Across the board (despite their own admission of left leaning bias in news and current affairs) the BBC delivers deliver so many excellent programmes, 

So why does this sort of thing still happen?  They should be compensating Help For Heroes directly out of the money that Stickler trousered for this, just as they should have also deducted the damages that had to pay to McAlpine for the false accusations Stickler made about him.

see story here: http://www.guardian....t-defends-story

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

The BBC should realise that Help for Heroes, like the NSPCC, are fireproof.

There's no point even trying.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,651 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

"There's no point even trying ".   is that code for  " I support Stickler? 

In the apology to be broadcast tonight, the BBC said: 'Following an investigation by its Editorial Complaints Unit, the BBC now accepts that its coverage was misleading and unfair to Help for Heroes.

'The BBC gave the impression that Help for Heroes was responsible for shortcomings in the provision of support to wounded veterans. The Editorial Complaints Unit found no evidence to support this suggestion.

'Although it was legitimate to report the concerns of veterans, the BBC portrayed criticisms about overall support by a number of agencies as specific criticisms of Help for Heroes.

'This unfair impression was reinforced by our coverage of the story in other outlets.

'In addition, the Newsnight report contained interviews with two contributors which were edited in a way which misrepresented their views.

'Although a representative of Help for Heroes took part in a studio discussion which followed the Newsnight report, the response of Help for Heroes to the criticisms wasn’t properly reflected. 

'This contributed further to the unfair impression of Help for Heroes, for which the BBC wishes to apologise.'

Meanwhile, in other news, Sally Bercow pointed 'the finger of blame' at Tory peer Lord McAlpine on Twitter during a media frenzy over allegations of child sex abuse, a judge was told today.

The Speaker's wife posted her tweet two days after a Newsnight report wrongly implicated a senior Conservative from the Thatcher era in child sex abuse allegations.

And who was the Stickler  responsible?  Still, it'll all be OK at Newsnight when this true blue takes over 

Edited by JohnM, 16 May 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

It's not code for anything. I didn't see the news report although I read a bit of what was said and the HtH response.
- Severus, July 2012

#5 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

The BBC should realise that Help for Heroes, like the NSPCC, are fireproof.

There's no point even trying.

You forgot Jimmy Saville in your short list.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

You forgot Jimmy Saville in your short list.

Until the media told me I didn't know anything about Saville firsthand.
- Severus, July 2012

#7 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,485 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Until the media told me I didn't know anything about Saville firsthand.

Savile firsthand - urgh, is that what they call it? 

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Savile firsthand - urgh, is that what they call it?

Yes.

Yes, it is.
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users