Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Championship is better than Superleague?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

Last nights NRC game between Batley and Fax was as good a game as I have ever watched.
Week after week Premier Sports are delivering exciting matches on Thursday nights
The commentary team of Dave Woods Ian Henderson and Brian Noble have really gelled and their enthusiasm shines through.
I can't help feeling that the Championship is being sold short by the RFL and those missing supporters who no longer go to games because its perceived as low level really are missing out.
  • amh likes this
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,693 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:06 AM

Last nights NRC game between Batley and Fax was as good a game as I have ever watched.
Week after week Premier Sports are delivering exciting matches on Thursday nights
The commentary team of Dave Woods Ian Henderson and Brian Noble have really gelled and their enthusiasm shines through.
I can't help feeling that the Championship is being sold short by the RFL and those missing supporters who no longer go to games because its perceived as low level really are missing out.

I agree totally and IMO like the amateur game you are more likely to see more line breaks and off the cuff attacking rugby than in the very stereotyped Super League.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#3 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

I'd certainly agree on the commentary team,  Andrew Henderson and Brian Noble talk like knowledgeable fans, and their positive enthusiasm and excitement comes across so well. Dave Woods does much better than Eddie Hemmings, ,makes a few mistakes but at least he's talking about the play more often than the OT tripe. The other guests they have had have been impressive too.

With regard to the CH, well it takes some beating for exciting games to watch.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#4 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

No wonder Halifax got beat by Dewsbury if they were having to field a team at Batley too :ph34r:

Was a great game though, commentary superb, brilliant entertainment!

Cant remember who scored it but the full length No Try by Fax was the best disallowed try ive ever seen. It also had Brian Noble discussing Andrew Hendersons commentary of it "I think Hendo's popped his cork" :biggrin:

Edited by Southstander13, 17 May 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

I saw a pretty ropey Championship 1 match on Sunday.  

From this I conclude that any match where the away team wears red will be of poor quality.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

The Sheffield v Dewsbury game last week was horrible; mistake ridden and flat. There are quite a lot of one sided games as well, but the main thing at any level is that any close run game of RL is entertaining.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

What tim2 said. I can't do with this inter division bickering. Any level of RL, from social to SL can provide brilliant games; why the need to segregate like this? Its all RL to me.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#8 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

The Sheffield v Dewsbury game last week was horrible; mistake ridden and flat. There are quite a lot of one sided games as well, but the main thing at any level is that any close run game of RL is entertaining.

You did not see Oldham v Oxford then. 2 points in it and very boring.

#9 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

What tim2 said. I can't do with this inter division bickering.

Same here. And it comes from both sides in equal measures. The 2 games I've seen in the last seven days including last nights, were excellent entertainment.

#10 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

It's different, but not sure about better.  Depends what your preference is.

My personal opinion is that because it's that bit slower, you tend to see more handling skill on display.  Attacks in SL tend to rely far too much on a quick PTB for my taste.

#11 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

International, NRL, SL, Championship, Championship 1, Amateur.

Its all great!

:giveheart:

Posted Image

#12 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

As a Batley fan who has seen the second (and third) tiers of English RL over the last 25 years, I can say honestly that the product on the field is now as good as its ever been, and when you get two evenly matched sides its as good as anything served up in the top flight.

That said, as with the super league, there can be the odd lop sided contest and some real terrible games dished up.

Overall its as good and as exciting as super league on its day, but just like super league, can serve up some dross too from time to time.

Hopefully the upcoming restructure of the game will allow all levels to develop further.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#13 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

I gave up on Super League after the first 3 seasons. Go to the Racecourse ground and talk to the North Wales crusaders fans. The vast majority of them are enjoying the championship more than they ever did Super Greed! The forward pass is still against the law to most championship referee's. My greatest passion though is amateur and from next season I am seriously considering that that is the only level I am going to watch the game. Dual registration is wrong and I can't support a sport that thinks its right. I am not a loyal person. I go where I am entertained. I gave up watching Manchester United in 1981 because I discovered a much better game - Rugby League in the mid 70's. Unfortunately though, Super League has ruined the game.

#14 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,861 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

It's different, but not sure about better. Depends what your preference is.

My personal opinion is that because it's that bit slower, you tend to see more handling skill on display. Attacks in SL tend to rely far too much on a quick PTB for my taste.

+1
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#15 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

No need to compare with SL but what I would say is that the games I've seen this year have been more entertaining and exciting than the games I saw last year....no idea why

#16 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Super League has ruined the game.

Funny that.

I thought it had saved the game when it attracted well,over £200,000,000 into the game by fulfilling SKY TV contracts....

#17 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:14 AM

Your getting Super League mixed up with Rugby League. Rugby League is the one where you have to pass the ball backwards. Super League has benefited 14 clubs. Everybody else as suffered because of it.

#18 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:08 AM

International, NRL, SL, Championship, Championship 1, Amateur.

Its all great!

:giveheart:

What Gav said!

#19 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

Your getting Super League mixed up with Rugby League. Rugby League is the one where you have to pass the ball backwards. Super League has benefited 14 clubs. Everybody else as suffered because of it.

you might be surprised to learn that other clubs voted for it and have accepted 'blood money' payments from Sky since it started. Yes the system could be better, dual registration and no promotion/relegation do not sit well with British sporting values (even though they are effective in more successful leagues elsewhere). However, without the cash received since 1995 several clubs would have followed Carlisle into liquidation.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#20 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Super League has benefited 14 clubs. Everybody else as suffered because of it.

The SKY contract brought millions into the game. Sadly SKY only wanted to pay for a small professional league and of course the big clubs benefitted and the small clubs were left out but firstly blame SKY.

Secondly consider if the SKY contract had been turned down. Do you really think the game would be thriving, and the "everybody else" doing great.

By simple definition they'd be the even smaller skinter clubs playing in a much smaller and skinter game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users