Photo
- - - - -

The Championship is better than Superleague?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Know I am biased but Rams v Fax was a belter. Leads changing, disallowed tries, nail-biting right to the end and triumph of the underdog. And that was watching the replay.

#22 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

I don't bracket games, I watch what I can and take the most from what's on offer.

It's all rugby to me and I enjoy some games and others are less enojyable, they tend to be never dull.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#23 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

The SKY contract brought millions into the game. Sadly SKY only wanted to pay for a small professional league and of course the big clubs benefitted and the small clubs were left out but firstly blame SKY.

Secondly consider if the SKY contract had been turned down. Do you really think the game would be thriving, and the "everybody else" doing great.

By simple definition they'd be the even smaller skinter clubs playing in a much smaller and skinter game

You can't call all the clubs in Super League "BIG". There are several clubs in The Championship that have been just as big as some, and could be again, but have struggled through lack of opportunity. On the bright side, however, they are probably not as deep in debt.

#24 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

There has not been, is not nor will there be in future any lack of opportunity for Championship clubs or any other at the higher level of the game. Of course, there may not be a market in some areas. The RFL cannot MAKE people go to games.

#25 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

You get great games and poor games in every league and every sport in the world. That's why sport can be enjoyed at all levels
Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Better = more entertaining, quite possibly.

Better = higher standard. Pretty certainly not.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#27 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 710 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

What an entirely subjective topic this is

#28 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Funny that.

I thought it had saved the game when it attracted well,over £200,000,000 into the game by fulfilling SKY TV contracts....

What percentage went outside Super League? Don't include red hall wages into the percentage please.

Edited by Marauder, 20 May 2013 - 07:32 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#29 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

What percentage went outside Super League? Don't include red hall wages into the percentage please.

Well some of the funding has gone to:

Halifax

Sheffield

Leigh

Workington

Crusaders

Oldham

as well as trying to expand the game into places like Paris and Catalan.

Despite popular belief, the money hasn't just been kept to a close-knit few.

#30 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

Well some of the funding has gone to:

Halifax

Sheffield

Leigh

Workington

Crusaders

Oldham

as well as trying to expand the game into places like Paris and Catalan.

Despite popular belief, the money hasn't just been kept to a close-knit few.

All ex members of Super League -  We all know where the lions share has gone and why it has (To protect the product for TV) Is protecting  the chosen few better for the game than allowing others into the inner circle? I suppose time will tell.

Edited by Marauder, 20 May 2013 - 09:38 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#31 WelshpoolMarauder

WelshpoolMarauder
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

Go to the Racecourse ground and talk to the North Wales crusaders fans. The vast majority of them are enjoying the championship more than they ever did Super Greed!

With no disrespect to any team in Championship 1, I don't prefer being in that division to being in Super League, and I sincerely hope that we will be back at the top table sooner rather than later (and I'm sure they'd all say the same thing!).

I'm pleased we still have a club, and that it's being run the right way, but I one day want to see them sat at the top of Super League, which is the pinnacle of sport in this country.

I'm not saying there's nothing to enjoy about life in the Championships, because there's plenty, but I want my club playing against the top sides, which are the ones in Super League. I'll accept that being a few years away, and be happy with how the club is progressing, but that is what I would like for the Crusaders, and I imagine if you asked the 'vast majority' they would say the same. 

#32 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

All ex members of Super League -  We all know where the lions share has gone and why it has (To protect the product for TV) Is protecting  the chosen few better for the game than allowing others into the inner circle? I suppose time will tell.

I suppose my point is that there really isn't a 'chosen few' despite people's claims.

Plenty of clubs have been in and out of SL over the years and had their chance and a cut of the pie.

Generally due to P&R the weaker clubs left and never returned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users