Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Daft Punk - Get Lucky

Best record of 21st century?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

That sounds like an average, and I mean average, disco record from the late 70's/early 80's. The sort of thing my sister would be playing in her room. Is it meant to be groundbreaking or something?

Agreed, my mate loves it but it just leaves me cold.

Heard Get Lucky for the first time this morning. Have to say I'm with you guys. Weak and repetitive. There again I remember Chic and Nile Rodgers first time round and wasn't a huge fan then.  <_<

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#22 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

daft punk have built a career on stealing samples and passing them off as ground breaking dance music.Eldest got the album yesterday,it's bog standard dance music.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#23 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

daft punk have built a career on stealing samples and passing them off as ground breaking dance music.Eldest got the album yesterday,it's bog standard dance music.

On this theme, TRL Helpdesk, there's a hook in Aerodynamic - from their Discovery album - would anyone here know if it's a classical music sample? I've tried to look for it but I think it might have been a piano version of that song I heard. Just wondered.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#24 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

On this theme, TRL Helpdesk, there's a hook in Aerodynamic - from their Discovery album - would anyone here know if it's a classical music sample? I've tried to look for it but I think it might have been a piano version of that song I heard. Just wondered.

Sister Sledge's Il Macquillage Lady...?

#25 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

That's the one.

My son had a file of samples that daft punk had used in their own tunes,I'll see if he still has it.

#26 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Samples used by daft punk.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 21 May 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#27 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Nobody using samples can be classed as genius nor should they be hailed as the second coming.

Very clever and very creative perhaps but that's not the same thing.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#28 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

And for the record, although not a fan, Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards were talented songwriters and producers.

#29 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

Nobody using samples can be classed as genius nor should they be hailed as the second coming.

Very clever and very creative perhaps but that's not the same thing.

I think Get Lucky is a work of genius - am I allowed to say this, given that the track isn't based on a sample..?

#30 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

I think Get Lucky is a work of genius - am I allowed to say this, given that the track isn't based on a sample..?

If you like ;) . I was just talking generally.

#31 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

If you like ;) . I was just talking generally.

Cheers. ;)

I'm really gonna test you now...

I think the sample of The JB's 'The Grunt' in Rebel Without A Pause is a work of pure genius... am I in the clear to do this..? 

#32 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

No. ;)

#33 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

No. ;)

This board gets more like East Germany every day.

#34 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

I was thinking that. I'm guessing the song by Amerie rather than the song One Direction released recently with that name. Neither are in the top 100 pop songs of the past 10 years I'd say. The Amerie one is good, not as "legendary" as Crazy in Love has become in a similar sort of time though. 

I do like Get Lucky, although my personal favourite pop song this year is Justin Timberlake's Mirrors. Not a floorfiller but there's just something about it.

1Thing shades Crazy in Love for me.  It's a tougher go-go track, and the drum sample is quite incredible. 

#35 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,920 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

This board gets more like East Germany every day.

don't be so precious

it's pop music FFS

you poor oppressed soul

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#36 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

don't be so precious

it's pop music FFS

you poor oppressed soul

Oh my god.  It's true.  You really don't have a sense of humour.

Re-read the exchange FFS.

#37 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

I actually like stumbling across a back reference when it comes to samples. Especially when it's songs I grew up with sampling songs from before my time. An obvious starting point would be Will Smith. Fascinating stuff sometimes. A lot seems to be funk/soul/disco when it comes to 90's R&B/hip-hop.

(*And yes, please let the TRL music bores refrain from the "R&B" argument!!) :P

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#38 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

It isn't that but thanks for offering, it's "the other half" of the song if you like.

1:03 in...

But it was simply played on a piano where I heard it used on a tv show, wracked my brains just to get it to Daft Punk!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#39 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

I actually like stumbling across a back reference when it comes to samples. Especially when it's songs I grew up with sampling songs from before my time. An obvious starting point would be Will Smith. Fascinating stuff sometimes. A lot seems to be funk/soul/disco when it comes to 90's R&B/hip-hop.

(*And yes, please let the TRL music bores refrain from the "R&B" argument!!) :P

I agree. Samples are a fantastic way (certainly pre-internet) of introducing people to music they've never heard before.  You mention Will Simth - 'A Touch of Jazz' is an incredible track that brilliantly referenced Marvin Gaye's T Plays It Cool.  A friend of mine recently introduced the track to Plan B - he couldn't believe it.

#40 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,146 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

It isn't that but thanks for offering, it's "the other half" of the song if you like.

1:03 in...

But it was simply played on a piano where I heard it used on a tv show, wracked my brains just to get it to Daft Punk!

A bit of wiki'ing.

The guitar break isn't a sample as such but an impossible to play 'homage' to baroque violin music.

The piano version you'll have heard was by Myleene Klass and was this piece of music transcribed for piano.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users