Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

M62 traffic thread

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

Currently J26 Chain Bar to J27 Birstall is closed after a serious accident by all accounts. I think this is both East and Westbound.

(This thread might as well be a sticky!)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Wouldn't it just be easier to put up a notice when there *isn't* traffic problems on the M62?

#3 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Kick off delayed until 8:15 now.
Posted Image

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Kick off delayed until 8:15 now.

I've heard the Salford-Bradford game is, is this which game you are reffering to or has the Warrington-Hull game gone back too?

edit: Nevermind.

Edited by hindle xiii, 17 May 2013 - 06:58 PM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

This must have been a bad one. I got caught up in the tailbacks coming into work tonight - and its miles away.

#6 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

It's every bloody week. I gave up my season ticket because I couldn't be sure of arriving at every game because of the M62.

I know some people love it but Friday night rugby turns the whole experience into a chore for me

#7 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

This must have been a bad one. I got caught up in the tailbacks coming into work tonight - and its miles away.

The problem westbound was not an accident, but simple congestion and idiot drivers who don't leave enough room between themselves and the car in front. The congestion seemed to be where the M621 joins the westbound M62*. I don't know anything about the eastbound except that it was clear when I drove back at about 11pm, but the westbound was then closed for roadworks.

On a brighter note, the managed section (where the roadworks have been for the last five years or so) was in operation tonight. The 50mph limit has been lifted - and replaced with a 40mph limit. So much for progress!

For those who don't know, the managed section is only being tested and won't be fully operational until the summer.

edit: * there may, of course, have been an accident after I drove through that section.

Edited by tonyXIII, 18 May 2013 - 12:03 AM.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#8 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

Both directions were shut most of the afternoon. Only started being opened 5 pm onwards. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean closure didn't happen or that it was due to 'idiot' drivers.

#9 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

The RFL must purchase the M62 and stop all non RL fans from using it on match days.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#10 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Happened on my doorstep, chemical tanker and wagon involved in a crash, both sections were closed for safety reasons, hundreds of drivers were forced to leave their cars and a 200mt cordon placed round the incident until it could be 100% confirmed what the chemical tanker was actually carrying

#11 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

It's every bloody week. I gave up my season ticket because I couldn't be sure of arriving at every game because of the M62.

I know some people love it but Friday night rugby turns the whole experience into a chore for me

Agree 100%.

Have given up trying to get across to Saints from Yorks for a Friday fixture. I wonder how many more RL fans have given up going to live matches on a Friday for this reason?

#12 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Agree 100%.

Have given up trying to get across to Saints from Yorks for a Friday fixture. I wonder how many more RL fans have given up going to live matches on a Friday for this reason?

I'm guessing we must be in a small minority who cross the Pennines for home games, but I can't believe that this doesn't have a significant impact on away support.

I've never understood why the RFL hasn't ring fenced Fridays for the TV game. It'd certainly boost the TV audience and strengthen their arm in contract negotiations

#13 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

Both directions were shut most of the afternoon. Only started being opened 5 pm onwards. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean closure didn't happen or that it was due to 'idiot' drivers.

I realise that. It's the timing that puzzles me. What time did Bradford set off? I left Malton at 5:15pm and drove through the affected area around 6 to 6:30pm. I got to the ground at 7:15, so I was delayed. I don't see how Bradford, who got to the ground after I did, could have been delayed by an earlier accident that I saw no sign of.

If, as you say, it had been cleared, then the traffic should have been moving increasingly smoothly. It wasn't. It was stop-start because drivers don't leave enough room between themselves and the car in front. With a line of cars effectively nose-to-tail, when one touches his brakes, the rest brake harder and the line comes to a standstill. This is why idiot drivers cause the sort of stop-start rubbish I saw a lot of last night. I also saw drivers overtaking on the inside and squeezing back into gaps barely longer than their own car, thus forcing the car behind to brake, causing everyone else to brake and the line coming to a standstill again.

It doesn't really matter. I got there in time for the game and Bradford got there in time for a slightly delayed kick-off. But, after missing the London game because of the M62 and being delayed by almost half an hour for this one, I have to agree. The M62 is a complete dog of a road!

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,294 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

The problem westbound was not an accident, but simple congestion and idiot drivers who don't leave enough room between themselves and the car in front. The congestion seemed to be where the M621 joins the westbound M62*. I don't know anything about the eastbound except that it was clear when I drove back at about 11pm, but the westbound was then closed for roadworks.

On a brighter note, the managed section (where the roadworks have been for the last five years or so) was in operation tonight. The 50mph limit has been lifted - and replaced with a 40mph limit. So much for progress!

For those who don't know, the managed section is only being tested and won't be fully operational until the summer.

edit: * there may, of course, have been an accident after I drove through that section.

should you admit to that on a public forum?  :prankster:

#15 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

should you admit to that on a public forum?  :prankster:

Ha ha! It should be okay among friends. Ah, I see the problem. :blush:

#16 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

Think problem was with coach. As I understand it team coach was late arriving at odsal. Team was actually at Salford in time for normal kickoff. Delay was to accommodate supporters coaches.

Edited by matt newsholme, 18 May 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#17 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Think problem was with coach. As I understand it team coach was late arriving at odsal. Team was actually at Salford in time for normal kickoff. Delay was to accommodate supporters coaches.

Bradford coach only got to stadium at about 7.25pm.

#18 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

I came back from Warrington and got to Jct 25 about 10.45pm and the other side was nose to tail standstill all the way back to Jct 27 where i got off, probably even further back but like i say i got off there, no idea what that was all about

#19 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

i took me 7 hours to get from fev back to cumbria was gutted.... still made it for the wire hull game though i turned my tv on and the game was 3 mins in so wasnt to bad :drinks:

#20 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

I came back from Warrington and got to Jct 25 about 10.45pm and the other side was nose to tail standstill all the way back to Jct 27 where i got off, probably even further back but like i say i got off there, no idea what that was all about

That would be where I noticed a westbound tailback at about that time. I realised that I hadn't seen any traffic at all on the westbound for the previous few miles and then noticed the working vehicles (resurfacing?) on the westbound and all the normal traffic was queuing to leave the motorway. The queue seemed to stretch back for miles. I was just glad they weren't doing the eastbound.