Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Results 18/5/13

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Yes, we have a Friday result

Telford Raiders 24 Northampton Demons A 0

Without being specific about Northampton or their reasons for not making the trip (glass houses and stones spring to mind), I think we need a discussion in Tier 4 about having sanctions other than just losing the game. It's often easier to take a 24-0 when you've got 12 players than travel 90 miles for a battering. I'm not in favour of fines but I am in favour of points deductions or a 3-2-1-0 points system. Thoughts?
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#2 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

3-2-1-0 seems the most obvious.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#3 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 261 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

I completely agree, I think a points deduction is in order.

Huge apologies to Telford, we picked up 7 injuries over the two games last week with another 8 unavaialble from last week on top it just wasn't possible to make the game, we pulled every resource we could to get to Telford and were happily going to play without a full 17 in our first grade game.

We have also lost money on our coach deposit too whilst forfeiting our home game against Telford which will therefore cost more money to fulfil.

I don't think the glass houses is in order considering that over the last 2/3 seasons we've had 40% of our adult fixtures cancelled on us whilst we have a pretty solid record.

Unfortunately when a first team steps up a division it's the 2nd team that suffers and I think our academy is suffering due to this and a lack to of a solid 18's from last year. With the dwindling junior set up in the midlands already evident this is a major concern for the years that are to come.

#4 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Conference League South

Bristol   30     Sheffield   36

Northampton 22   St Albans  22

Leicester  26    Nottingham  8

#5 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

West of England results

Swindon St George 36-32 Somerset Warriors
Oxford Cavaliers 32-22 Bristol Sonics A
Gloucestershire Warriors 28-26 Cheltenham Old Pats

That's now 6 games played and the largest margin of victory is only 10pts. Bit of a close league!

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#6 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

I completely agree, I think a points deduction is in order.

Huge apologies to Telford, we picked up 7 injuries over the two games last week with another 8 unavaialble from last week on top it just wasn't possible to make the game, we pulled every resource we could to get to Telford and were happily going to play without a full 17 in our first grade game.

We have also lost money on our coach deposit too whilst forfeiting our home game against Telford which will therefore cost more money to fulfil.

I don't think the glass houses is in order considering that over the last 2/3 seasons we've had 40% of our adult fixtures cancelled on us whilst we have a pretty solid record.

Unfortunately when a first team steps up a division it's the 2nd team that suffers and I think our academy is suffering due to this and a lack to of a solid 18's from last year. With the dwindling junior set up in the midlands already evident this is a major concern for the years that are to come.

My point about glass houses is that plenty of clubs have done it before, nd will do again. i just think there should be some punishment (if you want to call it that).

On the results front:

Chargers 30 Sleaford 44

A good game betwen teams with contrasting styles that was in doubt un til the last Sleaford score.

#7 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

Midlands Premier

Leicester A 64 Nottingham A 10

Birmingham 64 NEW Ravens 18

Coventry Dragons 28 Coventry Bears A 38

Chargers 30 Sleaford 44

Telford 24 Northampton A 0

Div 2:

Wolverhampton 33 Leamington 24

#8 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

Decent if stop-start game (lots of penalties) at Dings, where Hallam came out top 36-30. To be honest we suffered a lot from injuries during the game, so to keep the scoreline to a six-point loss was good. That said, we were the better side in the first half and easily could have got something from the game, despite being battered by the Eagles forwards.

So not too bad, all told. Can't wait for the next game against the Eagles at the central round… should be another cracker!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#9 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

West of England results

Swindon St George 36-32 Somerset Warriors
Oxford Cavaliers 32-22 Bristol Sonics A
Gloucestershire Warriors 28-26 Cheltenham Old Pats

That's now 6 games played and the largest margin of victory is only 10pts. Bit of a close league!

Yep, a really close division. Really good, fast-paced tough game at Greenbridge Road today. Can certainly feel it.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#10 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Decent if stop-start game (lots of penalties) at Dings, where Hallam came out top 36-30. To be honest we suffered a lot from injuries during the game, so to keep the scoreline to a six-point loss was good. That said, we were the better side in the first half and easily could have got something from the game, despite being battered by the Eagles forwards.

So not too bad, all told. Can't wait for the next game against the Eagles at the central round… should be another cracker!

One of our lads playing for Sheffield said they where poor today, said they got pulled a lot for being off-side at the play the ball, this starved them of any quality possession, this resulted in them forcing passes that wasn't really on and knocking on a lot, he also said it was a slow game.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#11 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

One of our lads playing for Sheffield said they where poor today, said they got pulled a lot for being off-side at the play the ball, this starved them of any quality possession, this resulted in them forcing passes that wasn't really on and knocking on a lot, he also said it was a slow game.

Slow-ish, though they were guilty of lying on for what seemed like an eternity and weren't penalised. We were poor at holding down so they got a roll on. THey played well in patches. We did as well, and it was a fairly even contest - though they should have probably won by more, at points in the second half we were hanging on by the skin of our teeth.

That said, there's not much between the sides, which given that the general consensus from other clubs in our division is that they're miles better than everyone else (including us), isn't bad. In the two games so far, either side could have won both - it's tied at 1-all. We were missing five or six first choice players (including some key forwards, which are vital given the quality of SHE's pack) and lost three to injury (not to return this afternoon) fairly early. That there was only six points in it is pretty good for us.

They did force passes, but they did that in the first game against us. As soon as they get two tries ahead they go for everything. If they'd done the basics they would probably have scored more, as in the last 20 we were falling off tackles and looked spent. Fair play to our lads for hanging in there and hitting back in the closing stages.

I would agree that the referee made it a strange game. Both sides were heavily penalised, but the Eagles more so. In some cases this was undeserved in my opinion, but there was some other infringements - one of their centres pulled back our cover defender preventing him from making a cover tackle for their third try, there was a spear tackle that he didn't penalise etc - that went their way. All in all a fair result, though - no complaints as the better side won.
www.bristolsonics.com

#12 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

I should also say Jim that neither side were on top form - we've certainly played better than that, and I'm sure they have. Honours even so far.

By the way, as it Tom Holt you spoke to? He scored the easiest try I've ever seen today. Shaun Roberts put a grubber through, one of our second rows fumbled it in the in-goal and tom just put his hand on it. Reckon I'd have scored that one. He's a kicking machine, too = got some great conversions from the touchline (though most were bang in front). Decent player. Lee Sanders was the outstanding player again today - looks a really good player at this level.
www.bristolsonics.com

#13 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Slow-ish, though they were guilty of lying on for what seemed like an eternity and weren't penalised. We were poor at holding down so they got a roll on. THey played well in patches. We did as well, and it was a fairly even contest - though they should have probably won by more, at points in the second half we were hanging on by the skin of our teeth.

That said, there's not much between the sides, which given that the general consensus from other clubs in our division is that they're miles better than everyone else (including us), isn't bad. In the two games so far, either side could have won both - it's tied at 1-all. We were missing five or six first choice players (including some key forwards, which are vital given the quality of SHE's pack) and lost three to injury (not to return this afternoon) fairly early. That there was only six points in it is pretty good for us.

They did force passes, but they did that in the first game against us. As soon as they get two tries ahead they go for everything. If they'd done the basics they would probably have scored more, as in the last 20 we were falling off tackles and looked spent. Fair play to our lads for hanging in there and hitting back in the closing stages.

I would agree that the referee made it a strange game. Both sides were heavily penalised, but the Eagles more so. In some cases this was undeserved in my opinion, but there was some other infringements - one of their centres pulled back our cover defender preventing him from making a cover tackle for their third try, there was a spear tackle that he didn't penalise etc - that went their way. All in all a fair result, though - no complaints as the better side won.

Another one has just said the ref spoilt the game for both teams.

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

Not spoke to Tom yet, It was Alex and Shaun.

#15 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

Yes, we have a Friday resultTelford Raiders 24 Northampton Demons A 0Without being specific about Northampton or their reasons for not making the trip (glass houses and stones spring to mind), I think we need a discussion in Tier 4 about having sanctions other than just losing the game. It's often easier to take a 24-0 when you've got 12 players than travel 90 miles for a battering. I'm not in favour of fines but I am in favour of points deductions or a 3-2-1-0 points system. Thoughts?

My view is that LATE call offs need a heavier punishment. Our A Team was in their kit last week when we took a 1.15 call from an opponent. Ref had set off, we'd paid for food etc. and our first team had a 1.30 kick off away so lads couldn't get over to watch. Some clubs hold out hoping that the other side has an issue...it cripples the sport doing that. If you call off on the day of a game, bigger fine/points deductions maybe?
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#16 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Eastern Premier -

Bedford Tigers 60-8 Stowmarket Titans RL
North Herts Crusaders 48-16 Kings Lynn Black Knights
St Ives Roosters 90-12 Milton Keynes Wolves
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#17 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

The Cornish Rebels did ok-ish in their first ever RL game.

Exeter Centurions 6-80 Cornish Rebels

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,150 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Cornwall always did well in the county challenge. There were about 6 Devonian clubs and no Cornish ones but the games were very even.

#19 Janner

Janner
  • Coach
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Rebels allegedly had nine of the Royal Navy first team playing for them so not quite as surprising as first thought. Devon Sharks beat North Devon 42-18 and Plymouth beat Somerset 112-16 so plenty of points in the first full round of matches.
Rebels v Sharks at Camborne on June 1st could be the preview of the Grand Final with both sides on two wins each so far (Rebels will get the win over Titans from last week when it is finally announced by the league).

www.southwestrugbyleague.com

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,150 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

I met the guy that ran the gym at HMS Raleigh (in Torpoint, Cornwall) once. He was wearing a Queensland training top and had quotes from Wayne Bennett and Jack Gibson on the walls. He told me that he did a lot of training work with England internationals like Jamie Peacock and Adrian Morley. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users