TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Eurovision

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,890 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

That is ****ing awesome!

Now you know what a Wookie sounds like at 78rpm.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#22 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

It was a great show. The interval performance before the voting was a piece of mickey-taking genius by the Swedes, who were brilliant hosts.

A good pop song won again, despite the usual moans about political voting.

The UK could do better in this contest again if it really, really wanted to: just stop sending has-beens with dreary songs to represent us. If no one in this country would buy it, why would anyone in the rest of Europe vote for it? Durrr.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#23 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

It was a great show. The interval performance before the voting was a piece of mickey-taking genius by the Swedes, who were brilliant hosts.

The UK could do better in this contest again if it really, really wanted to: just stop sending has-beens with dreary songs to represent us. If no one in this country would buy it, why would anyone in the rest of Europe vote for it? Durrr.

Bloke on BBC Breakfast yesterday said no good songwriters want to submit stuff to be used on it.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#24 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

John Drake, on 20 May 2013 - 16:00, said:

I have been saying this for years, 61-year old Bonnie Tyler was awful, a really poor song, performed, at best avereragely.
Someone else on the BBC website suggests pulling out altogether, but that would be silly.
Lets just get some decent songwriters to do a decent POP song (and I don't mean getting Lloyd-Webber in again)
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#25 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Bloke on BBC Breakfast yesterday said no good songwriters want to submit stuff to be used on it.

Then it's up to the BBC to persuade them.

Last year's Eurovision winner was a massive hit all over Europe, and even went Top 10 here in the UK. It's a huge shop window. There's money to be made if it's done right.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#26 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

Then it's up to the BBC to persuade them.

Last year's Eurovision winner was a massive hit all over Europe, and even went Top 10 here in the UK. It's a huge shop window. There's money to be made if it's done right.

I'm sure there is a middle ground between top songwriters and acts and Bonnie Tyler and Engelbert Humperdink.

In the UK, we seem to have decided that we can never win it and given up really trying. Looking at the winners from the last few years it's pretty obvious what style is favoured in Europe and we seem to be trying to do the opposite. Pretty much all the winners have songs written by relative nobodies on the world stage so why do we struggle so much to get anybody to write a song?

A lot is made of the political and favourable voting, yes it exists (we have a couple of our own) but it doesn't mean we cannot win. We've finished in the top 5 twice in the last 11 years, once with the current system of voting. We're not destined to finish in the bottom few every year.

I've said it once and I've said it before. If Germany can win the thing then we can win the thing.

That said, surely it's not hard to take away a countries vote from them. If a country has picked the same top country for the last however many years, they should be disqualified, simple as.

#27 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,378 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

It was a very average pop song. We've tried has-beens, we've tried our most successful ever musical songwriter and we've tried a boy band. Bear in mind that we have by some distance the best pop and rock bands (world renowned) in Europe but they're not interested. So we're always going to struggle to pitch our second division stuff right. Oh, and the rest of Europe knows about UKIP and our general xenophobia and that won't help either.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,890 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Occasionally, a 'name' says they'd fancy a go at Eurovision, but it never comes to anything. Too much pride to lose, if you risk finishing behind a Romanian eunuch vampire or a pair of rapping astronauts. The BBC won't stop showing it, as long as it continues to deliver healthy ratings for several hours at a very low cost to the corporation.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#29 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

We could win it, indeed, we have won fairly recently but the point is that credible artists do not want to have anything to do with it. And I don't think the prospect of a top ten hit in most European countries is much of an incentive. The really big UK stars can do that anyway.

It's a telling point that the it's been going for decades and yet the highlight is supposedly Abba's Waterloo. Abba FFS. The UK talent that has previously won include Cliff Richards with Congratulations; Bucks Fizz with Making your mind up and Sandie Shaw with Puppet on a swing. Even when we took it seriously, this was hardly a who's who of British music.

#30 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,890 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

I don't think Saint Cliff has actually won Eurovision. This list of competitors, with very few exceptions, is rather underwhelming.

#31 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

We're lucky they allowed us back after 2006.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#32 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,890 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

We're lucky they allowed us back after 2006.

Compared to Jemini, Daz Sampson is a musical god. But only compared to Jemini.

#33 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

We could win it, indeed, we have won fairly recently but the point is that credible artists do not want to have anything to do with it. And I don't think the prospect of a top ten hit in most European countries is much of an incentive. The really big UK stars can do that anyway.

It's a telling point that the it's been going for decades and yet the highlight is supposedly Abba's Waterloo. Abba FFS. The UK talent that has previously won include Cliff Richards with Congratulations; Bucks Fizz with Making your mind up and Sandie Shaw with Puppet on a swing. Even when we took it seriously, this was hardly a who's who of British music.

Why the FFS after Abba?

Celine Dion won Eurovision for Switzerland in 1988. She did quite well for herself.

Winning Eurovision isn't about credibility, it's about popularity. Two different things.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#34 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

It was a very average pop song. We've tried has-beens, we've tried our most successful ever musical songwriter and we've tried a boy band. Bear in mind that we have by some distance the best pop and rock bands (world renowned) in Europe but they're not interested. So we're always going to struggle to pitch our second division stuff right. Oh, and the rest of Europe knows about UKIP and our general xenophobia and that won't help either.

When Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote the UK entry, it finished a very respectable 5th. It didn't win, and didn't deserve to win, because it was a right old dirge but the UK still got lots of votes for at least trying a bit harder that year.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#35 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

We have NOTHING to lose i propose BLACK SABBATH for next year:)))

CM

Tony Iommi has Eurovision form. And it's not much better than Bonnie Tyler's...

http://www.eurovisio...upports_dorians

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#36 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Why the FFS after Abba?

Celine Dion won Eurovision for Switzerland in 1988. She did quite well for herself.

Winning Eurovision isn't about credibility, it's about popularity. Two different things.

I think "FFS Abba" is one of those "if you have to ask you'll never know" points.

Celine Dion is Canadian, had she been British, she'd have had no interest in Eurovision. Plus she is no better than Abba.

Eurovision is about popularity but it damages credibility.

In most countries, the winner of the equivalent of Britain's got talent enters, in the UK even reality TV stars aren't interested.When that bloke from the Darkness was asked how long he had wanted to do Eurovision his (rather too honest) reply was something like "...the last couple of weeks"

#37 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Could be Duffy's comeback gig.

Only don't let her produce the recording of the song. Her second album was a disaster.

Failing that; Texas.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#38 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

I don't think Saint Cliff has actually won Eurovision. This list of competitors, with very few exceptions, is rather underwhelming.

You are right, he didn't win. 

From Wikipedia, our past winners were:-

Sandie Shaw - Puppet on a swing

Lulu - Boom-bang-a-bang-bang

Brotherhood of Man - Kisses for me

Bucks Fizz - Making your mind up

Katrina and the waves - Love shine a light

I do not like any of these "songs". I haven't even heard the last one. I don't think very many people in this thread actually own any of these tracks.

Why can't we be honest and admit that there has never been any decent music at the Eurovision song contest? The only "big name" who has ever performed for the UK is Cliff Richard (twice) aside from him, the acts are only really famous (if at all) for Eurovision.

Edited by Northern Sol, 20 May 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#39 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

Why can't we be honest and admit that there has never been any decent music at the Eurovision song contest?

How is that being honest?

It sounds more like, "I don't particularly like disposal pop music and as I can't name any of these tunes in one they must be bobbins. Having established that this is true for the UK I have decided it must be true for Europe."
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#40 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

I think "FFS Abba" is one of those "if you have to ask you'll never know" points.

Plain old fashioned music snobbery.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users