Eurovision

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

But which reality TV show did she come from?  I mean, most of these Euro types come from reality TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anouk_(singer)

Way of target mate...

#82 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

That's irrelevant. Your assertion was that 'nobody' really liked Eurovision songs. A top 3 hit in the UK for last year's winner proves you wrong, whether it took one sale or one million sales to achieve that chart placing.

It could also prove that you take hyperbole at face value.

#83 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

More people watch a single episode of Eastenders than have ever seen The Merry Wives of Windsor on stage.

I think you are pushing it beyond any sensible limit if you are trying to suggest that Eurovision songs are highbrow culture that the masses are unable to appreciate.

#84 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

But which reality TV show did she come from?  I mean, most of these Euro types come from reality TV.

She was, of course, an A-list rock god having had a hit in Denmark and Norway as well as her native Netherlands. I don't know why we can't attract this calibre of artiste in the UK.

#85 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

I don't think there is any comparison between the Dutch and the British when it comes to credibility in international music. The number of Dutch artists who can sell large numbers of records abroad is small (I'm sure that there are some club DJs that do well but I'm talking about performers) so yeah the whole country would get behind them. Hardly the same with the top British acts, they are already world famous.

Most recent Caro Emerald ?? I believe she had a number one album in the UK and another top 5 album before that.In the 90's 2 Unlimitd had world wide success,Golden earring had bigger success in the USA than they did in the UK. Focus of Hocus Pocus and Sylvia fame...BLOF are big in Europe (Holiday to Spain with Counting Crows maybe ??),Alice Deejay,Dolly Dots,Hermes House Band,KANE,Krezip,Mai Tia,Pussycat,Racoon,Shocking Blue,Stars on 45 (Starsound in the UK and USA),2 brothers on the 4th floor.OK maybe not as big as the UK BUT you forget a lot of sounds you don't hear in the UK are massive on the continent.As for credibility how do you judge that ?? Personal taste or money made ? As you says Armin van Buuren ,Tiesto and the likes of Ferry Corsten are HUGE international stars... I think someone who plays at the Olympic Opening ceremony is more than a "Club DJ"...but you say they are not performers????
Now how many of the performers from the last ten years or so in the UK are world famous...a dwindling number as the UK scene goes downhill.

The Jam are one of my favourite all time bands...dominated the UK music scene in their day..in Holland A Town Called Malice was their only hit !!!!!!

Edited by yanto, 22 May 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#86 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Most recent Caro Emerald ?? I believe she had a number one album in the UK and another top 5 album before that.In the 90's 2 Unlimitd had world wide success,Golden earring had bigger success in the USA than they did in the UK. Focus of Hocus Pocus and Sylvia fame...BLOF are big in Europe (Holiday to Spain with Counting Crows maybe ??),Alice Deejay,Dolly Dots,Hermes House Band,KANE,Krezip,Mai Tia,Pussycat,Racoon,Shocking Blue,Stars on 45 (Starsound in the UK and USA),2 brothers on the 4th floor.OK maybe not as big as the UK BUT you forget a lot of sounds you don't hear in the UK are massive on the continent.As for credibility how do you judge that ?? Personal taste or money made ? As you says Armin van Buuren ,Tiesto and the likes of Ferry Corsten are HUGE international stars... I think someone who plays at the Olympic Opening ceremony is more than a "Club DJ"...but you say they are not performers????
Now how many of the performers from the last ten years or so in the UK are world famous...a dwindling number as the UK scene goes downhill.

The Jam are one of my favourite all time bands...dominated the UK music scene in their day..in Holland A Town Called Malice was their only hit !!!!!!

I've just come back from Italy. Almost all the music on the radio there is British or American. I don't recall any Dutch music at all or any "foreign language" music bar English. It was very similar when I was in Romania and Thailand. Music shops only ever have "international" or "English" sections alongside the local product. I once saw a French section in Italy but it was very small and even had Josephine Baker in it!

The Jam were, indeed, a great band but they weren't really chart toppers in the UK either. They only had a handful of hits.

The only one of those Dutch musicians I've heard of is 2unlimited and they were a one-hit wonder. It was a very big hit internationally but that would be like saying that Korean music was huge globally just because of "Gangnam style".  

#87 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

She was, of course, an A-list rock god having had a hit in Denmark and Norway as well as her native Netherlands. I don't know why we can't attract this calibre of artiste in the UK.

Similar to UK bands/musicians trying to break into the US market.

#88 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

The Jam had nine top ten hits including four number ones between November 1979 and November 1982..pretty impressive chart toppers.
Lets get Paul Weller to do Eurovision 2014 :-)

#89 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

The only one of those Dutch musicians I've heard of is 2unlimited and they were a one-hit wonder. It was a very big hit internationally but that would be like saying that Korean music was huge globally just because of "Gangnam style".

You must be younger than me or listened to different music..2 Unlimited had Get Ready for this,Tribal Dance,No Limits plus four or five more UK top ten hits...more than one hit wonders !!!!

#90 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

OK we moving away from the Eurovision topic so we stop now or start our own thread ha ha

#91 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

It could also prove that you take hyperbole at face value.

Or it could be that you can't admit how daft your original comment was. :tongue:

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#92 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

I've just come back from Italy. Almost all the music on the radio there is British or American. I don't recall any Dutch music at all or any "foreign language" music bar English. It was very similar when I was in Romania and Thailand. Music shops only ever have "international" or "English" sections alongside the local product. I once saw a French section in Italy but it was very small and even had Josephine Baker in it!

The Jam were, indeed, a great band but they weren't really chart toppers in the UK either. They only had a handful of hits.

This year's Italian Eurovision entry, sung by an actual Italian person, in Italian, reached number one in Italy and stayed at the top of their chart for several weeks.

But of course, that doesn't prove that anyone actually liked it. :ph34r:

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#93 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

It certainly doesn't prove that anyone outside Italy did.

This year's Italian Eurovision entry, sung by an actual Italian person, in Italian, reached number one in Italy and stayed at the top of their chart for several weeks.

But of course, that doesn't prove that anyone actually liked it. :ph34r:

#94 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

The Jam had nine top ten hits including four number ones between November 1979 and November 1982..pretty impressive chart toppers.
Lets get Paul Weller to do Eurovision 2014 :-)

Yeah but in terms of making the point that British bands can't sell much in Europe these days, it is a curious point to bring up a band that last had a hit 30 years ago.

#95 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

Similar to UK bands/musicians trying to break into the US market.

In some ways it is but British music is very popular in the US. Dutch music isn't a big deal anywhere other than the Netherlands and probably Belgium.

But this is drifting from the point I was making. British bands already sell lots of music in Europe. They do not need the publicity generated from a televised pan-European contest.

When I was in Italy, one of my students took her daughter to go and see One Direction in London. I do not like One Direction but they would probably do better than Bonnie Tyler at Eurovision. But they are already able to attract large numbers of European customers.

#96 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

Or it could be that you can't admit how daft your original comment was. :tongue:

It's kind of the point about hyperbole that it isn't sensible.

#97 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,748 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

It certainly doesn't prove that anyone outside Italy did.

:banghead:

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#98 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

:banghead:

I think the point that Italians buy Italian music is fairly uncontroversial. They did choose this person to represent them in the Eurovision after all. I just don't think that this says much about how popular Italian music is outside Italy or how popular non-Italian, non-English music is in Italy which is kind of the point about Eurovision.

#99 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,190 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

Caro emerald is eonderful
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users