Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super League succeeding as a TV sport

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,732 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

I attended a conference yesterday (Thursday) at Headingley on the subject of 'Effective Commercial Partnerships.' in both codes of rugby.

One of the speakers was John Stainer, of the Repucom company, which undertakes market research, media evaluation and analyses market intelligence from 20 offices dotted around the world.

He made an interesting comparison of Super League's TV audience with those of the RBS Six Nations and the Aviva Premiership.

He pointed out that in the most recent complete seasons, the Six Nations audience had increased by 7%, the Aviva Premiership by 4%, but Super League's audience had increased by 19%.

Not only that, but his company had done major surveys of the audience for the two codes of rugby, and found that Rugby League supporters are particularly keen to embrace new products and, more importantly, are naturally inclined to buy the products of any sponsor that comes on board to back Rugby League.

He also found that the wider public associates qualities with Rugby League that are almost wholly positive - ranging from teamwork, discipline, toughness, athleticism and so on. The public impression of Rugby League is generally much more positive than it is of football, for example.

So it looks as though Rugby League is a sponsor's dream.

It prompted me to ask the obvious question of why, if all that is true, Rugby League appears to perform so badly commercially.

"Rugby League undersells itself," was his rather simple answer.

But it does make you think!

There will be more in Rugby League Express on Monday.

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Of course it does. Endless doom and gloom on twitter etc just add to the feeling that its on its arris.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

This man is so wrong as to be unbelievable. SL is a disaster and needs completely ripping apart and replaced with a competition made up of pro v semi-pro village teams.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

We need to ignore this research and completely undermine the top tier of the game.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Bloomin 'eck!   What an excellent piece of  fact and evidence based information!

Anyone know which company the RFL uses to get sponsorship contracts?

Makes me think that there is maybe some merit in the idea to have an SL1 and SL2: extending the SL brand and culture might well be a good thing....and if there is to be P and R it has to be done through licencing.

Edited by JohnM, 17 May 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#6 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Not only that, but his company had done major surveys of the audience for the two codes of rugby, and found that Rugby League supporters are particularly keen to embrace new products and, more importantly, are naturally inclined to buy the products of any sponsor that comes on board to back Rugby League.

I have a health cash plan with Engage, I have a savings account with Leeds BS and the last couple of shirts I bought were from Racing Green, all as a result of rugby league sponsorship

And if I ever have any haulage needs, Stobart will be my first stop!

Edited by brooza, 17 May 2013 - 01:55 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#7 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Its quotes like "the public impression of RL is more positive than football" that raises an eyebrow. What does that mean? Are we meant to believe that footballs fanbase (a good portion of the general public) thinks more of RL than football? The same public that wouldnt know the difference between 13 and 15 if they turned the channel?

Vacuous statement.

The bottom line is if SL was as desirable as you allude to, sponsors would find their way to the game. "It undersells itself" is a poor excuse, equivalent to cupping you ears and screaming.

Edited by Mr Wind Up, 17 May 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

It means that the general public have a poor image of footballers...ie overpaid jack the lads. Compared with the down to earth guys who play RL, not that more people prefer RL.

And it undersells itself by constantly 'knowing its place' when it could aim higher.

Edited by Johnoco, 17 May 2013 - 01:58 PM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#9 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

Its quotes like "the public impression of RL is more positive than football" that raises an eyebrow. What does that mean? Are we meant to believe that footballs fanbase (a good portion of the general public) thinks more of RL than football? The same public that wouldnt know the difference between 13 and 15 if they turned the channel?

Vacuous statement.

The bottom line is if SL was as desirable as you allude to, sponsors would find their way to the game. "It undersells itself" is a poor excuse, equivalent to cupping you ears and screaming.

I think it's more "what is your perception of footballers/rugby league players".

I don't think the general public has a very good impression of footballers, even if they prefer the sport

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#10 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

I have a health cash plan with Engage, I have a savings account with Leeds BS and the last couple of shirts I bought were from Racing Green, all as a result of rugby league sponsorship

And if I ever have any haulage needs, Stobart will be my first stop!

Aye, I used York Pullman to take my stag party to Dublin, purely because they have supported the Knights for years.

They were ace too. 

Posted Image

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

I have accounts with engage and Cooperative entirely because they sponsored rugby league.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#12 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

Didn't Irn Bru say sales in the North of England went up considerably when they sponsored RL? Which is obviously good, but it makes you wonder why they have stopped.

I do think the fact that RL fans are actually quite loyal to people that sponsor the game compared to other sports

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#13 brooza

brooza
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

Didn't Irn Bru say sales in the North of England went up considerably when they sponsored RL? Which is obviously good, but it makes you wonder why they have stopped.

I do think the fact that RL fans are actually quite loyal to people that sponsor the game compared to other sports

I imagine that the rate of increase has plateaud so they're not seeing the benefit any more.

Just give it a year after they've stopped and the sales plummet again!

#14 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

They haven't.

:)

Posted Image

#15 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Didn't the Good Doctor say last week that, the game undersold itself.

#16 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

They haven't.

:)

Fair enough. I thought I'd read something about it coming to an end. Obviously there is less visability overall now they don't sponsor Sky's coverage, but I'm sure there aren't as many billboards at grounds compared to last year.

Anyway, pleased to be proved wrong!

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

We need to ignore this research and completely undermine the top tier of the game.

You're right, we need to cut the teams from the middle of our top division adrift by splitting the league in two mid way through the season.  We can then be treated to more repeat fixtures on Sky Sports and host the show from Headingley on fridays so often that the casual viewer will think that the playing of a trumpet, the banging of a drum and the singing of the old Leeds United classic "Marching On Together" are compulsory in our sport.

#18 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

I am certain Kingstone Press Cider Sales are doing well in our area.

"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

Im confused as to what people actually mean by 'the game undersells itself'.
How?
Its not like we dont have opportunity for sponsors to come on board, there are loads.

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

I'm of the opinion that there is huge competition among sports to attract sponsors. The RFL and its agents have to worke hard and smart to attract them. It has to sell itself...no one is going to do it for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users