Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Martyn Sadler - Talking Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#261 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

Heaven forbid we have entrenched mantras on here
I have no idea who selects the letters for the letters page of league express: why would I even care? Oh I get it, they are preventing the free expression of other views: they make you SAD

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#262 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Heaven forbid we have entrenched mantras on here
I have no idea who selects the letters for the letters page of league express: why would I even care? Oh I get it, they are preventing the free expression of other views: they make you SAD

Editing other people's posts breaks the terms and conditions of the forum
And in this instance is extremely infantile
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#263 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

Marketing the game? People who support your club actively denigrated and refused to have anything to do with the World Cup, as I found to my cost a few months ago. I would suggest the alteration of some self serving small minded mindsets amongst the fans at some club might be an idea: and I can't see that as a possibility.

Wow Chris so are you telling me you draw your conclusions about the whole demographic of a clubs support based on the ramblings of a few on here  you do not see eye to eye with on here. They like you are at the opposite end of the spectrum most folk fall somewhere in the middle.  And that is why you nor they can some up what the quiet minority would like!   So my point about players wages and marketing is not valid?

And "yes" entrenched views............. I just see little point in entering a forum for debate if you think you already know it all.  For the record my instant reaction to option 3 was the same as some on here, what if this what if that blah blah, then i stood back looked at the breath of live it could breath into the game and the effect it would have on the marketability of the game are great. 

And I still find it strange that the usual, all for change and brigade are now all of a sudden so prudish to change............................ hmmm i wonder why! just cant put my finger one it!  #thegameisup

Edited by petesmithfan, 27 May 2013 - 03:21 PM.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#264 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Editing other people's posts breaks the terms and conditions of the forum
And in this instance is extremely infantile

about as infantile as you pointing it out really!

You intellectuals really are not comfortable with the creative realms of modern communications are you......................... I was merely using your post to make my point.................but if its against the rules (im one of those seat of me pants kinda guy who hasnt read them )   I am very sorry, if it has caused you undue distress.  Your clearly not used to being challenged other than buy your nature!

Edited by petesmithfan, 27 May 2013 - 03:25 PM.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#265 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

It was an opinion piece: opinion pieces in the firm of leader articles and editorials are supposed to be biased... Since they put forward a point of view. If all journalism was supposed to be unbiased there would be no newspapers. You seem to have confused editorial/ leader writing with reportage

But what about the letters page Chris? He was quick to point out that he hadn't received one piece of correspondence in favour of option three but failed to mention the week after that more than 50% of TRL members had, in fact, voted for it. He's entitled to his own opinion but if he's attempting to convey the thoughts of RL fans on this then he should give us the whole picture and not just the bit that suits his agenda.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 27 May 2013 - 03:29 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#266 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

I hate it when it goes quiet I all ways think somebodies gone to get the head teacher :drag:

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#267 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

It was an opinion piece: opinion pieces in the firm of leader articles and editorials are supposed to be biased... Since they put forward a point of view. If all journalism was supposed to be unbiased there would be no newspapers. You seem to have confused editorial/ leader writing with reportage

He can do what he wants as an editor, and if he worked on fleet street, I would expect him to splurge a political agenda.  But as his address is in Brighouse and he is a RL bloke i would may be expect some depth into the whole proposals.  I would like to be informed not preached to.  And if just a modicom of balance had been shown then I doubt the reaction would have been the same.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#268 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

I agree largely, but I don't think the clubs you mention would do better in the short, medium or long term: we've seen fax and Leigh in sl. And again there's a lot wrong with London that needs sorting out. I think London Are more important to the longer term future if the game

They are if the potential is there. Are London's problem solveable? Especially when you consider that they could literally go out of business at any minute. If their owner pulls the plug do we replace them again? Maybe now isn't the time to support a London club in the top division.

I think short and medium term those clubs would do a better job. There is little more demoralising in RL than seeing a top-level game played in a stadium with 3 closed sides and a handful of people there. At least those clubs provide a bit of passion and the odd semi-decent crowd.

#269 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

They should be called EASTENDERS RL and move to Walford and make Ian Beale Chairman and Kat Slater at hooker

Edited by petesmithfan, 27 May 2013 - 03:51 PM.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#270 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Wow Chris so are you telling me you draw your conclusions about the whole demographic of a clubs support based on the ramblings of a few on here  you do not see eye to eye with on here. They like you are at the opposite end of the spectrum most folk fall somewhere in the middle.  And that is why you nor they can some up what the quiet minority would like!   So my point about players wages and marketing is not valid?

And "yes" entrenched views............. I just see little point in entering a forum for debate if you think you already know it all.  For the record my instant reaction to option 3 was the same as some on here, what if this what if that blah blah, then i stood back looked at the breath of live it could breath into the game and the effect it would have on the marketability of the game are great. 

And I still find it strange that the usual, all for change and brigade are now all of a sudden so prudish to change............................ hmmm i wonder why! just cant put my finger one it!  #thegameisup

But what about the letters page Chris? He was quick to point out that he hadn't received one piece of correspondence in favour of option three but failed to mention the week after that more than 50% of TRL members had, in fact, voted for it. He's entitled to his own opinion but if he's attempting to convey the thoughts of RL fans on this then he should give us the whole picture and not just the bit that suits his agenda.

I'm not being funny but I neither know nor care what goes on in the letters page of the rugby league papers. I do know how newspapers and the media work-hence I felt able to comment. I'm genuinely surprised that you couldn't tell the difference between reportage and editorial.

He's attempting to put forward a point of view in a newspaper opinion piece-pretty normal really for newspapers. I don't think Martyn Sadler claims to represent anybody but himself-but that's for him to ratify or otherwise.

maybe the people who voted on the poll didn't write to the paper

Keeping it local

#271 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

You intellectuals really are not comfortable with the creative realms of modern communications are you......................... I was merely using your post to make my point.................but if its against the rules (im one of those seat of me pants kinda guy who hasnt read them )   I am very sorry, if it has caused you undue distress.  Your clearly not used to being challenged other than buy your nature!

really? Why? My response was related to what you said and was civil.

The second section of your post shows that you know nothing about me.

Keeping it local

#272 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,400 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

And I'd like to see some serious evidence as to how a small parochial rump SL haemorraging money like a burst artery will do the same. revenues are down, crowds are down, expansion is verboten, Australia are still, overwhelming favourite Fleet Street needs a GPS to navigate past Watford and delusions of grandeur about SL is a serious Phycological problem.

You may well like to see what you ask for but there is a queue and I was first.

#273 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'm teling you nothing of the sort., and yet again you show how little you know about me, which suits me fine. Of course the sport needs more marketing. It also needs to keep its elite players in the country, or even more problematic in the game-a no brainer.

I'm not sure who these people are who know it all or think they do. It's all about people giving their views and backing them up with information to a lesser or greater extent-I prefer the latter and attempt to do that whenever I put forward my own views.

I'm not sure who this 'all for change brigade is' I haven't come across such people on here at all never mind in Brigade strength. Is it purely coincidental that the changes proposed just so happen to favour your club? If so, then that's very unfair.

I don't care that much, I just want a game to watch on the box of a weekend, although I do strongly prefer that the teams I watch represent the expansion of the game. Having three clubs of varying strengths-but none of them that strong within walking distance of each other is a less attractive proposition than having an elite comp with say Toulouse in it. It seems ok for people to want the sport's policy to be designed around their own personal wants: so that's me doing the same, but if I do care anything about Rugby League any more it's about the game as a whole and its growth. 

Keeping it local

#274 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

I'm not being funny but I neither know nor care what goes on in the letters page of the rugby league papers. I do know how newspapers and the media work-hence I felt able to comment. I'm genuinely surprised that you couldn't tell the difference between reportage and editorial.

He's attempting to put forward a point of view in a newspaper opinion piece-pretty normal really for newspapers. I don't think Martyn Sadler claims to represent anybody but himself-but that's for him to ratify or otherwise.

maybe the people who voted on the poll didn't write to the paper

Maybe he should have published the results of the poll.  Fair do's at least now we know you feel he has his own agenda and his paper is merely an outlet for that, finally something we can agree on :-)............ Enjoy the World Cup

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#275 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

They are if the potential is there. Are London's problem solveable? Especially when you consider that they could literally go out of business at any minute. If their owner pulls the plug do we replace them again? Maybe now isn't the time to support a London club in the top division.

I think short and medium term those clubs would do a better job. There is little more demoralising in RL than seeing a top-level game played in a stadium with 3 closed sides and a handful of people there. At least those clubs provide a bit of passion and the odd semi-decent crowd.

Your first sentence applies to many clubs if not the majority

I think where they play is one of the most obvious issues surrounding the Broncos there does seem to be an issue surrounding it. They need a proper home that their fans can relate to. It would be enlightening to hear from Broncos fans about what they see is the way forward

Keeping it local

#276 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Maybe he should have published the results of the poll.  Fair do's at least now we know you feel he has his own agenda and his paper is merely an outlet for that, finally something we can agree on :-)............ Enjoy the World Cup

agenda? The guy put forward an opinion in an opinion piece, not much of an agenda. Sadler has all sorts of views on all sorts of topics. I agree with some and disagree with others.

Keeping it local

#277 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

They should be called EASTENDERS RL and move to Walford and make Ian Beale Chairman and Kat Slater at hooker

even Old Rover can do better than that.

Keeping it local

#278 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm teling you nothing of the sort., and yet again you show how little you know about me, which suits me fine. Of course the sport needs more marketing. It also needs to keep its elite players in the country, or even more problematic in the game-a no brainer.

I'm not sure who these people are who know it all or think they do. It's all about people giving their views and backing them up with information to a lesser or greater extent-I prefer the latter and attempt to do that whenever I put forward my own views.

I'm not sure who this 'all for change brigade is' I haven't come across such people on here at all never mind in Brigade strength. Is it purely coincidental that the changes proposed just so happen to favour your club? If so, then that's very unfair.

I don't care that much, I just want a game to watch on the box of a weekend, although I do strongly prefer that the teams I watch represent the expansion of the game. Having three clubs of varying strengths-but none of them that strong within walking distance of each other is a less attractive proposition than having an elite comp with say Toulouse in it. It seems ok for people to want the sport's policy to be designed around their own personal wants: so that's me doing the same, but if I do care anything about Rugby League any more it's about the game as a whole and its growth. 

As it happens Gandolph, I favoured sticking with what we had as in my view we had have ticked all the boxes, to be granted a license, but that would be a selfish view.  And as I said my initial reaction to option 3 I stated as much in a Fev forum.  But when I looked at it with a balance i felt that there is nothing to lose, clubs will always go bust they have under licensing.................. This system to me seems to offer new horizons and has no more failings than the current system. 

And yes I honestly believe that we should not be held to ransom as a game by the money on offer else where, its is a false economy, its like trying to live in Mayfair on job seekers...................... The Aussie game in a different economic league.  We would not lose all our talent and the spaces left would be filled by hungry guys who will benefit from the more competitive environment.  Look at the Wigan Halfs this year, they have shown players can step up throughout the RL pyramid and given the right environment and apspirations can achieve plenty.

Notice how I give an example of where I may have been wrong over hasty...................................... Well the thing is I can never recall you "in debate" ever saying you know what you might have a point there or I was wrong!  With anyone or any subject for that matter. 

Edited by petesmithfan, 27 May 2013 - 05:09 PM.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#279 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,691 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Well the thing is I can never recall you "in debate" ever saying you know what you might have a point there or I was wrong!  With anyone or any subject for that matter. 

please tell me you have not read every post I've ever made, which is what you would have to do to support that statement, which is completely erroneous at best.

Keeping it local

#280 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

please tell me you have not read every post I've ever made, which is what you would have to do to support that statement, which is completely erroneous at best.

he only has to read half a dozen. all the rest is repetition. parochial, self serving, immoral, vichy government blah blah blah.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users