Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Martyn Sadler - Talking Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#281 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,519 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

he only has to read half a dozen. all the rest is repetition. parochial, self serving, immoral, vichy government blah blah blah.

he only has to read half a dozen. all the rest is repetition. parochial, self serving, immoral, vichy government blah blah blah.

if the cap fits, along with small minded, abusive, hypocritical,  blah blah blah

vichy government? Well it is an important aspect of Rugby history 

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#282 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

And maybe no avenue to the top is partly responsible for such a state of affairs.

But you miss the point. The point I was making is that 50 or more years ago these clubs were the top dogs but things changed.  A cast in stone, unchanging SL will have teams in it that are on their way down to the levels of the Swinton's and Workington's but ring fencing  will keep them slowly fading in the top tier and prevent any newly vibrant clubs from replacing them. Why on earth should the Broncos be kept in  SL at the expense of Fax or Fev or Toulouse ?

Look at Huddersfield pre Davy, rotting stadium, crowds in the hundreds and in what is now CC1. If Davy was just taking charge of a Huddersfield in that state now, we would never see them in SL and maybe looking at a double and providing England with numerous international players,

Look at Hull KR, same thing. Crowds in the low 1000's, decrepit stadium. In CC1. Now they are in SL, crowds in the 7,000 range, totally revamped stadium. yes they are losing money like most of the rest of SL but look how far they have progressed. If the SL was ring fenced they would not have been there.

These new proposals will give lower level teams who are making serious progress a chance of making the top tier and replacing failing clubs who are already there. This, in my opinion, is a good thing.

The creation of a larger number of stable teams and an avenue for them to progress and replace stagnant, moribund teams from the top division is a good thing. 

Don't give me the "Promotion has never worked guff either ". For Huddersfield, Wakefield, Hull KR, Salford and  Castleford, it has worked just fine. Even Wigan maybe.

No you miss the point, some clubs have a maximum size to which they can grow, they are penned in by geography and demographics.

No matter how successful some clubs are there is a limit to what they can do. Unless of course you change the demographic of the area they are working in.

In the 21st century (the one us realists live in) you are not going to get village pit teams pulling in crowds of 25,000, some fantasists may believe that any current club with a bit of sky cash and a few wins can be all conquering and take on the world, I've got a bit of breaking news for you, they can't and they won't.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#283 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

And here we go again....and again.... and again.

#284 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,906 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

aye :sad:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#285 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

As long as there are people in RL land who have fairies at the end of the garden I'll be popping up to point out they don't actually exist. ;)

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#286 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

As long as there are people in RL land who have fairies at the end of the garden I'll be popping up to point out they don't actually exist. ;)

you do realise one dies everytime you say that

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#287 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,906 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#288 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

Fairy or RL fan.  :O  

#289 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

Apologies -to clarify,  I wasn't referring to your post! It was the carry on before that.

#290 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,519 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

Apologies -to clarify,  I wasn't referring to your post! It was the carry on before that.

point taken Dave

Keeping it local

#291 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

However I have more pressing things on my mind at the moment, am I killing fairies or RL fans.

#292 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,906 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

Fairycidal maniac!

#293 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Maybe he should have published the results of the poll.  Fair do's at least now we know you feel he has his own agenda and his paper is merely an outlet for that, finally something we can agree on :-)............ Enjoy the World Cup

Rubbish

#294 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,519 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

Rubbish

apart from enjoying the world cup

Keeping it local

#295 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

apart from enjoying the world cup

Yes

#296 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

No you miss the point, some clubs have a maximum size to which they can grow, they are penned in by geography and demographics.

No matter how successful some clubs are there is a limit to what they can do. Unless of course you change the demographic of the area they are working in.

In the 21st century (the one us realists live in) you are not going to get village pit teams pulling in crowds of 25,000, some fantasists may believe that any current club with a bit of sky cash and a few wins can be all conquering and take on the world, I've got a bit of breaking news for you, they can't and they won't.

Just so you know there are no teams curremtly averaging above 15,000 pit tea, big city team or red wine conoiseurs.

However, on a one off basis each can fill stadium for a cup final .

#297 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Fairy or RL fan.  :O  

aren't they one and the same in wigan

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#298 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Just so you know there are no teams curremtly averaging above 15,000 pit tea, big city team or red wine conoiseurs.

However, on a one off basis each can fill stadium for a cup final .

Thanks for backing up my point.

#299 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

You live in the 21st century do you? So where in RL land are the village pit teams? Can you name them please because I dont know of any? Being the 'realist' you claim you are please explain to me which of the current RL big city teams are potentially likely to be pulling in crowds of 25k any time soon.

It's a good job P & R existed back in the eighties or your mighty Wigan may not have been where they are now because I remember full well the evening when a famous pit village club put the final nail in the mighty Wigan's coffin and relegated them. Yes those days are in the past but only because of greed and self interest of the clubs which found themselves in the right place at the right time

Who are you to say that Featherstone Rovers, Halifax etc can't return to the big time? As knowledgeable as you profess to be you don't actually know anything about their respective operations and prospective financial backing. None of us do, but wouldn't it be nice to find out? These clubs aren't run by fools you know, let's see by giving them their opportunity.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 28 May 2013 - 02:12 AM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#300 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:09 AM

about as infantile as you pointing it out really!

Pointing out that you're breaking the rules and regulations of the site that have been made to ensure fair and honest debate isn't infantile. Breaking them is, regardless of whether you know what they are or not. They are there to prevent infantile behaviour.

You intellectuals really are not comfortable with the creative realms of modern communications are you......................... I was merely using your post to make my point.................but if its against the rules (im one of those seat of me pants kinda guy who hasnt read them ) I am very sorry, if it has caused you undue distress. Your clearly not used to being challenged other than buy your nature!

You was using his post in a dishonest way. I wouldn't call it creative at all, I'd call it a poor attempt to make a decent argument.

You can harp on like a reverse snob all you like about "intellectuals" if it makes you feel better. In reality you're not actually getting an honest point of view across. Just a childish mentality.

If you think the terms and conditions of the site are too challenging or don't allow you to be "creative" in your communications, use a different site. It's that simple.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users