RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Martyn Sadler - Talking Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#441 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

That depends on what you call 'decent media coverage'. Is that coverage in national papers, or as I strongly suspect, is it limited to RL trade publications and local media in Hemel? And wouldn't a SL team in Hemel generate even more coverage?

From what I have been told by friends living in Hemel, their profile isn't particularly high even in the town.

#442 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

For instance, havn't Hemel had some decent media coverage stemming from their elevation to CC1 whereas the Broncos have had what national coverage from their SL season.

Mr. Stein has a first hand answer for you above. Care to reply?

Edited by The Parksider, 07 June 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#443 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

Mr. Stein has a first hand answer for you above. Care to reply?

Hemel have had two articles on them in the national press in the Independent in Feb 2012 and in the Guardian on mar 2, 2013. This is for a team that was not a member of CC1 even until the beginning of this season. They have also had mentions on  the BBC sport website and have had local articles re the re development of their Pennine way ground.

The Broncos, despite being a current and past SL club, have had very little press coverage. I can find an article in 2012 in the  Mirror in regards to Gower joining them and a BBC website mention re their playing at the Stoop. they also have had two match reports in the Guardian this year, one the extremely positive fact that they managed to lose to wigan 64 to 6. good press that one.

This was a brief google search by me and there may be other reports for both teams so don't treat it as the gold standard on the subject.

#444 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Hemel have had two articles on them in the national press

But that's no reason to get the idea that they will take over from the Broncos soon.

#445 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

David Hughes has only guaranteed to finance the Bronco up until 2014, when the current licencing period ends. There's been talk that he intends to retire around then so won't have the money to continue.

#446 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

David Hughes has only guaranteed to finance the Bronco up until 2014, when the current licencing period ends. There's been talk that he intends to retire around then so won't have the money to continue.

With the lack of contract extensions, and players talking to other clubs, I wonder if there are doubts about him financing the club in 2014?

#447 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

With the lack of contract extensions, and players talking to other clubs, I wonder if there are doubts about him financing the club in 2014?

You're not the only one to be pondering that, and I suspect that there will be a few more after today's catastrophe. Not so sure myself, as I think he's the sort of person who'd keep his word. If we went it would cause organisational problems for the RFL. Do they just go with 13 clubs in SL next season or bring in  (say) Fev or Toulouse who'd probably want a guarantee of a licence in 2014 if they did make the step up.

#448 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

You're not the only one to be pondering that, and I suspect that there will be a few more after today's catastrophe. Not so sure myself, as I think he's the sort of person who'd keep his word. If we went it would cause organisational problems for the RFL. Do they just go with 13 clubs in SL next season or bring in  (say) Fev or Toulouse who'd probably want a guarantee of a licence in 2014 if they did make the step up.

Perhaps the players know something we don't. You'd like to think that London would be here next year, but I guess Hughes has to look after his own interests - god knows the guy has pumped enough of his own money into the club already for very little reward. I know you Bronco fans are used to uncertainty surrounding the club - it's almost an annual thing going back to the Fulham days - but it must be pretty demoralising, especially with defeats like the one today.

If worst came to the worst and London went out, I guess it would depend on the timescale involved as to bringing someone else in for next year. If it was announced at the end of the season, it wouldn't leave much time for new clubs to recruit. And then you have the question of who comes up and how their chosen. Not convinced Toulouse would be ready for next year.

#449 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

There won't be licensing after next season, given that the bottom two in next year's SL will be relegated*, I can't see either club wanting to step up at short notice.  Certainly Fev are building towards at competitive, full time team for the 2015 season.

*be that for the 2x12 and 3x8 or 2x12 with 1 up, 1 down.

Edited by Ponterover, 08 June 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#450 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

To wrench this bodily back to the subject of reorganisation here's something from today's Crusaders' programme to throw into the mix:

'I (Jamie Thomas, club CEO) think the telling point is that the RFL have discussed things with their broadcast partner, who favour option 3 (my italics) - and whilst they are adamant they are not a slave to Sky, it is difficult to see them going against the organisation who write the biggest cheque to the Sport each year............. If the structure ends up as some version of Option 3, which is my personal belief it will given all the noises coming from different areas....' He then goes on to discuss the impact it would have on the Crusaders.

We shall see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users