Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

C'mon Sheffield

Challenge Cup draw

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

I see that Sheffield have been drawn at home to London in the Challenge Cup quarter finals. They won't make much money out of it, but they have an excellent chance of reaching the semi's.

I hope we're all going to get behind them, because a good performance will further the cause of all Championship clubs, and show once again that Super League is not so super!

#2 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

No Steve, not for me, not a fan if Aston. Even though I erroneously shared a modicum of pleasure in them beating Wigan in '98'.

What has happened to the challenge cup since I was a kid?.

The three quarter finals I remember going to involving Fev were 76 v Leeds, 81 v Widnes and 83 v St.Helens. Shed loads of fans and atmosphere. I think the crowds for the quareters this year will be as low as ever.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 18 May 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#3 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

The three quarter finals I remember going to involving Fev were 76 v Leeds, 81 v Widnes and 83 v St.Helens. Shed loads of fans and atmosphere. I think the crowds for the quareters this year will be as low as ever.

I still think that quarter final against Leeds might have been the best Rovers performance I have ever seen. 33-7 wasn't it? Remember we scored a try from the Butler/Bell/Newlove scrum move that was so successful for us at that time. Might also have been a rare Mick Gibbins try that day?

#4 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

I still think that quarter final against Leeds might have been the best Rovers performance I have ever seen. 33-7 wasn't it? Remember we scored a try from the Butler/Bell/Newlove scrum move that was so successful for us at that time. Might also have been a rare Mick Gibbins try that day?

Same for me PH, in fact I think that the team of '75-'76 was the best Rovers side I have ever seen. Yet they won nothing!

I understand your feelings about Mark Aston, Andrew, but I do believe he's the best coach left in The Championship. He'd never come to Fev though, after all the cpmments he's received on this forum!

#5 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

I remember Dave Dyas scoring in the corner nearest the main entrance.

#6 genesis

genesis
  • Coach
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:19 PM

12' th May 1973, only 11 years old and my Dad  took us to Wembley and we beat Northen.  40 years on And I still remember it.

#7 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Sheffield are quite capable of pulling off a surprise, IMO. I think that they are the dark horses of our league this season. Seem to have strength in all positions.

#8 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

Sheffield are quite capable of pulling off a surprise, IMO. I think that they are the dark horses of our league this season. Seem to have strength in all positions.

I don't see them as dark horses I see them as favourites to win the lot

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

We've never lost in the Challenge Cup quarter finals.

Or the semis or the final for that matter.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#10 parko1370

parko1370
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

We've never lost in the Challenge Cup quarter finals
Or the semis or the final for that matter.

wow rich your so fantastic how does rfl do without your 200 fans

Edit use of text speak and abuse

Edited by Maureen T-k, 27 May 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

wow rich your so fantastic how does rfl do without your 200 fans

They don't. And the strange little marks on the keys near the corners are called "punctuation".

Edited by Maureen T-k, 27 May 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#12 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

They don't. And the strange little marks on the keys near the corners are called "punctuation".

Did you need the full stop after 'They don't' ? Seeing that we are pulling someone up for their English.

#13 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

Did you need the full stop after 'They don't' ? Seeing that we are pulling someone up for their English.

At the end of a sentence ? I think so.

That post was as much a dig at Sheffield's inability to get past the last 16 on more than one occasion as anything else but - hey - paranoia sets in and someone just has to hurl abuse, don't they ?

It's just a game .............