Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

West Yorkshire

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,460 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

One thing about Cleckheaton, and more especially Brighouse, is that they don't cop for anywhere near as much snow as the high ground of their surrounding areas.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#22 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Cheers. I expect that commuting wise at 7am it wont be a major issue. Seen some well priced places in ossett tingley and horbury. Will check out the others you mention. Much appreciated

#23 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

u can get to heck from horbury in 15 mins, up hostingley lane, left towards shepards boy, and across dewsbury moor and u are there

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#24 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,211 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

One thing about Cleckheaton, and more especially Brighouse, is that they don't cop for anywhere near as much snow as the high ground of their surrounding areas.

Best places for avoiding snow in West Yorkshire is Cas/Ponte - because of the surplus heat generated by Ferrybridge Power Station - i worked in Cas for ten years and don't remember seeing any real snow. Morley on the other hand (which includes Tingley) is where the snow line starts!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#25 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,077 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

Cleckheaton is a great little town, has good schools a large supermarket and rural aspects. The only drawback is that it's not on a railway line, but that's not a bother for you. Car-wise, it's the best commuter town in the county. Brighouse is good, and on the railway, but is much more expensive.

You'll get a 4 bedroomed detached house for £230k in Cleckheaton.

http://www.robertwat...7229&lo=-1.7257

http://www.whitegates.co.uk/property

http://www.rightmove..._includeSSTC=on

Oh Lordy, Yorkies must have some really low standards if you are recommending Cleckheaton and Brighouse. :lol:
Fides invicta triumphat

#26 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

u can get to heck from horbury in 15 mins, up hostingley lane, left towards shepards boy, and across dewsbury moor and u are there

Not at 8:30 AM on the way to work you cannot. 

You would be first queuing at Horbury Bridge. Pretty clear up towards Thornhill, Down towards Thornhill Lees Get stuck in traffic from the two schools either side of the Mini roundabouts with the parents dropping their children off not understanding things like road markings, space or rules of the road and living within half a mile of the school.Then through the mini roundabouts, left on Thornhill road Que at the lights by the Shepards Boy pub. Then straight into a que to turn right into Temple Road. Get stuck in traffic from the two schools up/near Temple Road. Pretty clear Through Dewsbury Moor. Then as you get within sight of Heckmondwike realise your in own long traffic jam towards the lights in Heck center. 

Decide where you need to be in Heck to work, look at watch and see it had taken you more than 15 mins even though you could do it in 15mins at a push at quiet times of day. 

Edited by Li0nhead, 20 May 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#27 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Not at 8:30 AM on the way to work you cannot. 

You would be first queuing at Horbury Bridge. Pretty clear up towards Thornhill, Down towards Thornhill Lees Get stuck in traffic from the two schools either side of the Mini roundabouts with the parents dropping their children off not understanding things like road markings, space or rules of the road and living within half a mile of the school.Then through the mini roundabouts, left on Thornhill road Que at the lights by the Shepards Boy pub. Then straight into a que to turn right into Temple Road. Get stuck in traffic from the two schools up/near Temple Road. Pretty clear Through Dewsbury Moor. Then as you get within sight of Heckmondwike realise your in own long traffic jam towards the lights in Heck center. 

Decide where you need to be in Heck to work, look at watch and see it had taken you more than 15 mins even though you could do it in 15mins at a push at quiet times of day. 

Doesn't matter where you live, if you set off to work at the wrong time you will end up in traffic, I often set off a couple of hours earlier than I should to avoid this problem.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#28 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

Doesn't matter where you live, if you set off to work at the wrong time you will end up in traffic, I often set off a couple of hours earlier than I should to avoid this problem.

I agree, take my nightshift working, my journey home at 8am takes twice as long as my journey into work at 10PM. 

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Cheers. I expect that commuting wise at 7am it wont be a major issue.

The way home might be though...

I'd also consider which councils are decent, or least worse.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,460 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

If you've got children, or are about to start a family, schools are obviously a factor. Certain catchment-areas in Dewsbury and Batley will  (like Bradford) have entry-age primary school classes where a lot of the kids won't speak English.

#31 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

Outstanding.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#32 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,460 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

But true.

Check out the descriptions of primary schools in Batley and Dewsbury.

http://www.findascho...p.php#!Kirklees

#33 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 625 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Yep, schools a major factor. Got a few places in mind now thanks.

Ossett and Gomersal look the leading ones so far. Tingley sounds like a no no. Anyone got any views on Birstall?

#34 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,460 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Gomersal is perhaps a better bet than Ossett and definitely a better bet than Birstall.

I think you can't go far wrong in the Gomersal, Cleckheaton and East Bierley triangle.

A friend of mine has this pub in East Bierley.

https://maps.google....IDg&gl=GB&hl=en

#35 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Ossett and Gomersal look the leading ones so far. Tingley sounds like a no no. Anyone got any views on Birstall?

Birstall is always heaving come evening rush hour.

A lot of these places are quite small, narrow and winding. I'd keep winter snow in mind.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#36 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

I live in Birstall, anything specific you want to know

#37 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,171 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Birstall is always heaving come evening rush hour.

A lot of these places are quite small, narrow and winding. I'd keep winter snow in mind.

Traffic round Birstall is quite heavy during peak periods but it always flows very well and quite quickly on the A62, A650, A651, A562, A653

Only time things snarl up is when we have a major incident on the M62 like last Friday afternoon/evening

There are however dozens of rat runs known to the locals who dont have any bother getting from A to B

#38 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

I live in Birstall, anything specific you want to know

Are you the poor sod in a dog costume that waves at Smithies cross roads?!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#39 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 625 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

Main things of concern are nice area as in not full of chavs. Quality of town centre. Ease of public transport to leeds and wakey

#40 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,460 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

Main things of concern are nice area as in not full of chavs. Quality of town centre. Ease of public transport to leeds and wakey

Gary lives in Birstall and, on his nameplate, has a picture of a Bull Terrier!!

Not sure about his tattoos, piercings, gold teeth, sovereign rings, preferred tracksuit-manufacturer and favourite kebab shop.

B)  :biggrin:  ;)

Right now, he's probably thinking of the different choices he has in deciding how to kill me.

:laugh:

Edited by Wolford6, 21 May 2013 - 11:12 AM.