TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

West Yorkshire

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Anyone know what lower Wortley and hanging Heaton are like?

Oh and earlsheaton in Dewsbury please

Hanging Heaton is okay, Lower Wortley and Earlsheaton are frankly places on the way downhill.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#62 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

Hanging Heaton is okay, Lower Wortley and Earlsheaton are frankly places on the way downhill.

Lower Wortley is handy for prison visits

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#63 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

Earlsheaton is where the chavs from Chickenley move when they win on a scratch card

#64 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

Baildon

#65 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

Baildon

It's murder getting from Baildon through Shipley into Bradford every morning, never mind going on to Heckmondwike.

Jolly decent place though.

Has the fantastic Baildon Hall members club (open to anyone to join) which is the ancestral home of General Wolfe. They have a team in our quiz league.

http://www.baildon-h...com/history.php

I've just noticed that the web page says they offer "country membership" status. I'm sure we all know that joke.

:D

Edited by Wolford6, 17 July 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#66 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Ok, 2 more options....

Wrenthorpe

Outwood (Got very good schools)

Thanks again in advance, most helpful

#67 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Wrenthorpe is more select than Outwood. I had a work colleague who lived there and really liked it.

The one issue with Wakefield, which has good schools and an excellent city centre, is that it is almost completely undermined by historic colliery workings. Not all of them are charted.

In my wholly unqualified opinion, as a rule of thumb, for West Yorkshire: -

-       pre-war brick houses = coal mining areas ... the coal measures are set below clay that is suitable for house bricks.

-       pre-war sandstone houses = sandstone quarrying areas with a much lower frequency of historic coal mines that had  sent out extensive radial shafts. Bradford sits on two shallow seams of coal ... the Lousy Bed and the Better Bed ... which gives the indication that mining wasn't that prosperous.

-      the further west and north you go, the less coal mining there was.

#68 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

It's murder getting from Baildon through Shipley into Bradford every morning, never mind going on to Heckmondwike.

Jolly decent place though.

Has the fantastic Baildon Hall members club (open to anyone to join) which is the ancestral home of General Wolfe. They have a team in our quiz league.

http://www.baildon-h...com/history.php

I've just noticed that the web page says they offer "country membership" status. I'm sure we all know that joke.

:D

I remember!

#69 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

So nobody else knows about outwood?

#70 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Had mighty fine girlfriend back in the early 90s who lived there but that's a long while back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users