Cameron out of touch

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

http://www.thesun.co...st-Cameron.html

At least 35 angry party chairmen signed a letter warning he is out of touch and will cost them the next election.

Though all the polls suggest that Cameron is closer to public opinion on this.  Cameron tried to bring his party towards the centre, yet they seem to want to jump right, away from any election hopes?

Edited by Bedford Roughyed, 19 May 2013 - 10:44 AM.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#2 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

Are politicians in touch with anything?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#3 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Are politicians in touch with anything?

Their expenses claim forms?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#4 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,164 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

Cameron is actually more in touch with the electorate as a whole than he is with the swivel-eyed loons of the conservative party itself.  What the constituency party activists forget is that their type of organisation is increasingly irrelevant in this electronic world. Party leaders now appeal directly to the electorate and short circuit the loons. Why should just 177,000 Conservative party members decide  what is good for all Conservative voters?

#5 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,170 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

Cameron is actually more in touch with the electorate as a whole than he is with the swivel-eyed loons of the conservative party itself.  What the constituency party activists forget is that their type of organisation is increasingly irrelevant in this electronic world. Party leaders now appeal directly to the electorate and short circuit the loons. Why should just 177,000 Conservative party members decide  what is good for all Conservative voters?

Presumably they take the view that if you want a say you should pay the sub. I allowed myself to be driven out of the Labour party by left wing loonies in the early eighties.  They were fanatics, they knew all the rules and all the wrinkles of how to get stuff through meetings. TBF they did a hell of a lot of the work at election time too, but obviously they had a motive, they wanted Labour to be a Trotksyist party.  What they didn't seem to realise was that most people wouldn't vote for such a party. You can have all the ideals in the world but if you can't get elected you're wasting your time.  TBH reckon Blair took this attittude too far. Had John Smith lived perhaps we'd have seen a better outcome for Labour long term.  If the Tories continue down this line then the ultimate result will be the mirror image of what happened to Labour in the eighties.  The right of centre vote split and the lunatics in charge of the assylum.  They should look at the 1983 election result and quail. Having said all that I don't believe Cameron is the man to do it. I believe he is lazy and doesn't master his briefs.  I think he lacks the backbone.  William Hague for me is the only man in the cabinet with any real bottom, just where he stands on the EU issue is hard to tell because of collective responsibility.  For all our sakes should Cameron fall before an election defeat I hope they don't elect Gove, who would not only take us out of Europe but probably split the Union into the bargain.

Edited by Trojan, 19 May 2013 - 01:57 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#6 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

For all our sakes should Cameron fall before an election defeat I hope they don't elect Gove, who would not only take us out of Europe but probably split the Union into the bargain.

I've seen some suggestions of Phillip Hammond as a leadership candidate... he makes EdM look exciting!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

My constituency of South Suffolk is so in-grained Tory that you could put George Galloway in a blue Tory rosette and he'd still win without needing to campaign. That's what the swivel eyed loons are banking on as they know they have a guaranteed core vote in many areas.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#8 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Their expenses claim forms?

About as far removed from reality, as you can get.

#9 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

Another example of the Tories just not getting it.  If you were to ask a widespread group of people under 30 from all cultures across the country what their views on gay marriage were, the vast majority would wonder what all the fuss was about.

Quote: "The letter to Mr Cameron was organised by the Grassroots Conservative group, whose chairman, Bob Woollard, said: ‘This dilution and unravelling of marriage has demotivated many ordinary loyal Conservative Party members and has undermined their years of hard work for something they believed in. It makes winning the next election virtually impossible.’"

Yep, it'll certainly help convince people that the Tories are stuck in the 1950s and have shown they're still the Tory party of 1997 that got thumped at the election.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#10 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

uote: "The letter to Mr Cameron was organised by the Grassroots Conservative group, whose chairman, Bob Woollard, said: ‘This dilution and unravelling of marriage has demotivated many ordinary loyal Conservative Party members and has undermined their years of hard work for something they believed in. It makes winning the next election virtually impossible.’"

I just don't get this viewpoint. How does letting two people who love each other marry dilute, unravel or in any other way affect marriage as a concept or someones individual marriage? Its like saying someone else cannot eat a burger because you are on a diet. Probably a topic for another thread but this is just one of the reasons why I'm not a conservative.

Fides invicta triumphat

#11 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

My brother-in-law has resigned from the Conservative Party on this issue.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#12 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

There has been an observable tension between the authoritarian/paternal/traditional conservatives and the liberal/libertarian right for some time. It has now come to the fore and could well tear the Tories apart. I'll be crying (tears of joy) all the way to the polling station!

LUNEW.jpg

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

Presumably they take the view that if you want a say you should pay the sub. I allowed myself to be driven out of the Labour party by left wing loonies in the early eighties.  They were fanatics, they knew all the rules and all the wrinkles of how to get stuff through meetings. TBF they did a hell of a lot of the work at election time too, but obviously they had a motive, they wanted Labour to be a Trotksyist party.  What they didn't seem to realise was that most people wouldn't vote for such a party. You can have all the ideals in the world but if you can't get elected you're wasting your time.  TBH reckon Blair took this attittude too far. Had John Smith lived perhaps we'd have seen a better outcome for Labour long term.  If the Tories continue down this line then the ultimate result will be the mirror image of what happened to Labour in the eighties.  The right of centre vote split and the lunatics in charge of the assylum.  They should look at the 1983 election result and quail. Having said all that I don't believe Cameron is the man to do it. I believe he is lazy and doesn't master his briefs.  I think he lacks the backbone.  William Hague for me is the only man in the cabinet with any real bottom, just where he stands on the EU issue is hard to tell because of collective responsibility.  For all our sakes should Cameron fall before an election defeat I hope they don't elect Gove, who would not only take us out of Europe but probably split the Union into the bargain.

To be fair to loonies the argument that "There is no point beating the Tories if you have to become the Tories in order to do so" is a good one.

#14 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

There has been an observable tension between the authoritarian/paternal/traditional conservatives and the liberal/libertarian right for some time. It has now come to the fore and could well tear the Tories apart. I'll be crying (tears of joy) all the way to the polling station!

It really should be a doddle for Labour to win the next election. I'm waiting to see how they are going to blow it. Right now, they just don't fill me with any confidence.

#15 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Another example of the Tories just not getting it.  If you were to ask a widespread group of people under 30 from all cultures across the country what their views on gay marriage were, the vast majority would wonder what all the fuss was about.

Quote: "The letter to Mr Cameron was organised by the Grassroots Conservative group, whose chairman, Bob Woollard, said: ‘This dilution and unravelling of marriage has demotivated many ordinary loyal Conservative Party members and has undermined their years of hard work for something they believed in. It makes winning the next election virtually impossible.’"

Yep, it'll certainly help convince people that the Tories are stuck in the 1950s and have shown they're still the Tory party of 1997 that got thumped at the election.

It isn't helping the Tories (or indeed a lot of people who are vocally opposed to this issue), that they are implying the biggest people whose lives will be changed by this change in law being voted through is them! I don't have a lot of sympathy with Cameron that often, but on this issue I do.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#16 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

It really should be a doddle for Labour to win the next election. I'm waiting to see how they are going to blow it. Right now, they just don't fill me with any confidence.

Can't disagree with that assessment I'm afraid. Of Labour's front bench I can only think of Andy Bunham with any spark of personality and credibility. I'm sure there are some very capable back-benchers, our local chap for instance, but the likes of Harriet Harmon, Ed Balls & his Mrs, the Eagle twins etc leave me cold.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#17 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,236 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

Can't disagree with that assessment I'm afraid. Of Labour's front bench I can only think of Andy Bunham with any spark of personality and credibility. I'm sure there are some very capable back-benchers, our local chap for instance, but the likes of Harriet Harmon, Ed Balls & his Mrs, the Eagle twins etc leave me cold.

Maybe you need to refine your assessment criteria.

:D

http://www.sexymp.co...ex.php?gender=F

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#18 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Sky News is on in the background and there's a "swivel eyed loon" on now who is a Tory Councillor and today he's decided to become UKIP along with another 4 Tories on his council, Merton, I believe.  He holds a perfect note though: "ME, ME, ME, ME, ME"

Personally, if I were Cameron, I'd be taking the whole issue by the balls and telling the rebels to either start falling in line or f*** off to UKIP or whoever else will have them, reminding them that if they do then they'll be responsible for at least another decade of Labour government.  That said, the swivel-eyed loons may just do that as they think they're in the right with the public behind them demanding that gays stay single and Europe should just go away; gay Europeans just make their eyes swivel even more.

For me, this is the problem with negative politics, always against things, never really for them.  It's hard to inspire loyalty on a stable platform when people are used to being hyped to be angry about today's pet topic.

#19 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

Rather than Cameron just being out of touch, are all politicians and even party members out of touch with the wider public opinion?

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#20 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

Sky News is on in the background and there's a "swivel eyed loon" on now who is a Tory Councillor and today he's decided to become UKIP along with another 4 Tories on his council, Merton, I believe.  He holds a perfect note though: "ME, ME, ME, ME, ME"

Personally, if I were Cameron, I'd be taking the whole issue by the balls and telling the rebels to either start falling in line or f*** off to UKIP or whoever else will have them, reminding them that if they do then they'll be responsible for at least another decade of Labour government.  That said, the swivel-eyed loons may just do that as they think they're in the right with the public behind them demanding that gays stay single and Europe should just go away; gay Europeans just make their eyes swivel even more.

For me, this is the problem with negative politics, always against things, never really for them.  It's hard to inspire loyalty on a stable platform when people are used to being hyped to be angry about today's pet topic.

This is what a true leader would do. If he did it now, there is time for the Conservative Party to select new candidates before the next election and come out fighting. I don't think such a reorganised party would lose the election. (But I could be wrong)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users