Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

lineup at Sheffield

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Not one of those players you mentioned kiddo are good enough for sl.
do yourself a favour sunshine and stop posting shiite!

We'll see how Sheffield go against London in the Challenge cup then. Seeing as none of their best players are good enough for SL they should have 50 put past them.

Yere could get a game at quite a few SL sides, only reason he doesn't want to move is because he's comfortable in Sheffield. Talaupapa was signed by HKR, until they swapped coaches and the new coach had never seen him play and declared he wasn't part of his plans. You really think that none of those players wouldn't get a game in any of the bottom 6 SL sides at all?

You can call my opinion what you want, but why do SL clubs try to sign Featherstones players if they arnt good enough for SL. Then again Sheffield arnt anywhere near the level of Featherstone are they...

#42 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 865 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

After such a good meeting on Friday where things are looking good for the club, how the hell are we supposed to get people through the gates. That was the worst game I've seen for a long time. We just didnt seem to be interested or we were out classed. What is going on ???  There is a handfull of players who have played constant most of the season. What about the rest ? 

How do we compete ?. I'm not saying we weren't good enough but how the hell can Sheffield put a winning team out, bearing in mind that its a council run ground and they have a gate less than 500 ( and today was shared ). Maybe I'm thick but how do they and other teams do it legally.

Someone with a bit of knowledge of how things work please answer me.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#43 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:56 AM

If we had won more games so far then i am certain the finances would have been effected much earlier in the season by paying out win money/win bonus. Good news the meeting on Friday was positive but poor turn out considering the numbers we had in 2011.  In 2011 I spoke with Sheffields coach and he advised that there salary cap was one quarter of what Barrow was paying. If this was true or no i could not say.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#44 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,486 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

If we had won more games so far then i am certain the finances would have been effected much earlier in the season by paying out win money/win bonus. Good news the meeting on Friday was positive but poor turn out considering the numbers we had in 2011.  In 2011 I spoke with Sheffields coach and he advised that there salary cap was one quarter of what Barrow was paying. If this was true or no i could not say.

How would he know ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#45 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

We'll see how Sheffield go against London in the Challenge cup then. Seeing as none of their best players are good enough for SL they should have 50 put past them.

Yere could get a game at quite a few SL sides, only reason he doesn't want to move is because he's comfortable in Sheffield. Talaupapa was signed by HKR, until they swapped coaches and the new coach had never seen him play and declared he wasn't part of his plans. You really think that none of those players wouldn't get a game in any of the bottom 6 SL sides at all?

You can call my opinion what you want, but why do SL clubs try to sign Featherstones players if they arnt good enough for SL. Then again Sheffield arnt anywhere near the level of Featherstone are they...

50 points, where do you work that one out from??

worky never got 50 put into them by widnes who are higher in the league than london, and worky are lower in the league than sheff!!

by the way, not one of them players you listed would be a SL player! what club if any, would any of that list command a place at?

i guess your big mates with Yere, he must text you and stuff saying i'm comfortable in the championship, i dont want to try and better myself and earn more money in SL??!! he's too old for SL and too slow, not one of the SL sides would benefit from his presence.

which payers from Fev are SL sides trying to sign??

you seem to know loads about other teams goings on.

you barrow raider skid have a head full of mash potato!

#46 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

How would he know ?

because hes the coach??

surely he has to have an idea of the level of player he can sign?

#47 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

50 points,where do you work that one out from??
worky 50 didn't get put into them by widnes who are higher in the league than london, and worky are lower in the league than sheff!!

by the way, not one of them players you listed would be a SL player! what club if any, would any of that list command a place at?

i guess your big mates with Yere, he must text you and stuff saying i'm comfortable in the championship, i dont want to try and better myself and earn more money in SL??!! he's too old for SL and too slow, not one of the SL sides would benefit from his presence.

which payers from Fev are SL sides trying to sign??

you seem to know loads about other teams goings on.

you barrow raider skid have a head full of mash potato!

I personally think a couple of Workingtons players could have a go at SL. Elliot Miller has a lot of potential and maybe Brett Phillips.

Not a good friend of Yere clearly but if you read the league express you can pick up these bits of information.

If you look on the 'General rugby league' forum on this site in a fairly recent thread you'll see that some Featherstone players have turned down approaches from SL clubs.

If you want evidence of Talaupapa I'll find an article if you must.

Your saying no Championship player near the top end is good enough for SL. Then again Chris Hill, Alex Walmsley and Hardaker have done awful.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 20 May 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#48 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

miller and phillips aint sl material far from it.there is a few in our league though that will reach the heights of sl
dave houghton at haven stands out as one.

well theres at least one super league team who thinks brett phillips could play super league but he turned them down in the off season as he didnt want to move away, stack would get into the bottom 4 sides easily enough as would callum phillips.dave houghton wouldnt get in half of the championship sides, never mind super league. he gets dominated by the town pack everytime we beat you.

Edited by wonky, 20 May 2013 - 01:26 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#49 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

No back to one Dave Houghton was released when Widnes were a championship club and he could barely get a game for them and is nowhere near good enough for superleague. He isnt a patch on Jamie Acton as a potential higher league player

And its true Brett Phillips did turn a superleague team down and has never lost a west cumbrian derby in a town shirt either!!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#50 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Just as a point of interest Adrian Morley played for Swinton against Crusaders  and he is quoted as saying 'There's not a huge difference in the speed except at the ruck'

Posted Image

#51 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

I personally think a couple of Workingtons players could have a go at SL. Elliot Miller has a lot of potential and maybe Brett Phillips.

Not a good friend of Yere clearly but if you read the league express you can pick up these bits of information.

If you look on the 'General rugby league' forum on this site in a fairly recent thread you'll see that some Featherstone players have turned down approaches from SL clubs.

If you want evidence of Talaupapa I'll find an article if you must.

Your saying no Championship player near the top end is good enough for SL. Then again Chris Hill, Alex Walmsley and Hardaker have done awful.

No I'm not saying no championship player is good enough. Where did I say that?
You make stuff up skid face.
I do read league express, it's like any other paper where stuff is mentioned and it's not always true!
Why do you keep changing the story? We're discussing sheff players and you start parping on about worky.
Fact is skid face, you talk utter tripe and just rattle on regardless, fair play to you, you obviously believe in your own opinion more than the concensious of this forum. Walneyboy seems intelligent and I believe he may have references to a theory previously mentioned by him which sums you up?

Spend less time reading league express and more time reading the referees guide book.

#52 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

Just to add my "pennyworth" there is such a lot of negativity in these postings and the way you lot run down players is beyond belief.

Then you bemoan the fact that Sheffield have a good squad and must be fiddling the books to have such a good team.............. that is a sign of jealousy.......

Every player at Sheffield is offered a contract with simple win, loss payments incorporated into some other form, which I am not privy to , BUT every player goes to the club with "you can play here if you want to............. we are not a club who want ego chasers, if you don't like the terms, do not bother........."  We have excellent corporate support.

Ask any of the players why they play for the club and you will get the same answer............more or less on the lines of.......(and this is a quote from a player) ........well its not for the money, it is such a friendly family club.............. how do you get players such as ex-super-league players such as Hendo (80+ appearances for Eagles), Brambani (99 appearances for Eagles),  Stringer (230+ appearances), Higgins (40+) .... then Green (100+ app), Yere (120+), Taulapapa (90+), QLT (70), Hirst (92) playing and staying................. consistency and happiness.............. give us a break

Let Holty build on the local talent. He and the board knew it would not be easy. He is, along with Akko, trying hard to get young blood ,moving in the right direction. It will come. When we reformed in 1999, it took time. We have stuck with Tubby for 14 years as coach and we are getting there. Why not stop running Raiders down. One day a good day at the office will be had, and I personally do not think it is that far away.

Rant over 

Semper In Facaebus Summus Sole Profundum Veriat

#53 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:54 PM

whose the sl team phillips turned down then :shout: stack is nowhere near sl material barely know hes on the pitch when ive seen him.houghton has already been at a sl club wonky so your wrong AGAIN.

even if he has been at a super league club, then its even more obvious that hes not sl quality as hes not playing it anymore, just as the town lads who have played super league, there just not good enough anymore or they wouldnt have dropped down. our pack owns yours each and everytime we play you so how can you possibly say stacks not noticeable, now get back to sleep and carry on your dreaming.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#54 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

No I'm not saying no championshup player is good enough. Where did I say that?
You make stuff up skid face.
I do read league express, it's like any other paper where stuff is mentioned and it's not always true!
Why do you keep changing the story? We're discussing sheff players and you start parping on about worky.
Fact is skid face, you talk utter tripe and just rattle on regardless, fair play to you, you obviously believe in your own opinion more than the concensious of this forum. Walneyboy seems intelligent and I believe he may have references to a theory previously mentioned by him which sums you up?

Spend less time reading league express and more time reading the referees guide book.

I'll but it more simply for you then.

I think the difference between a team full of Championship standard players and a team full of SL players is 50 points. I came up with that estimate due to previous games between SL sides and Championship teams in the challenge cup. Workington got beat by less than 50 due to having a few SL quality players in their side. That's where that came from. I didn't change the story.

You didn't say no Championship player is good enough for SL, but you think that none of Sheffields best players are good enough for SL. Sheffield are one of the best sides in the competition so if you think none of their players are good enough I assumed that you believed no one was. Especially when you questioned that any SL clubs would be interested in Featherstone players.

You can choose to believe whatever source you want but it came from the small section which has a story about every Championship club. When writing about Barrow they have rarely got it wrong.

At least dont resort to name calling thats just not needed.
I was only trying to make the point that Holty shouldnt be
sacked on the back of a defeat to a quality Championship
side in a game we didnt need to win.

#55 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Eagleraider .. It's a tiny minority of so called supporters on this forum who run the team down .. Who give their so called opinions and are quick to slate anyone who dares to have a different opinion to them . That's why it's the same old names . The MAJORITY of raiders supporters are fully behind the lads .. And ok .. We all have our own things to say and it's a Shame we can't voice them on here .. Good luck in the challenge cup .. Really think u have a good chance of beating London :)

#56 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Well said Alias and I agree with Nigel (Eagle Raider). Also what a pity that this Forum is again being hi jacked by name callers, insults and those that are incapable of setting out  reasoned arguments. 

Posted Image

#57 Eagleraider

Eagleraider
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

I am very aware that there are many Raiders fanatics and a minority of "stirrers", as is on so many forums. Michael knows that I am an avid Raider supporter, except when Eagles are playing, and started watching Barrow in 1968, so I feel that the trials and tribulations we have been through at Sheffield are unfortunately far to common place in many teams, depending on the heirachy and their organisation. Barrow have had their ups and downs and I believe for the first time in a good number of years that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Stability is such a key word and with Holty, Phil and the present board, I think that light is getting brighter. Patience is a virtue and unfortunately there does appear to be far too many impatient "fans". They are not supporters, more glory boys. No-one wants to see a squad struggle, certainly not the coach, but let me just use Eagles as an example (for obvious reasons!!). Our directors have been the same ones since we reformed, (1999) thanks go to Barrow there as well, our coach has been the same since we reformed, we have not had journeymen players out for a quick quid, and we are trying to get our local lads through the scholarship and Academy system, with local players as much as possible. Barrow have loads of local talent, imo a bloody good coaching team and now a board who want to work for the club. Success is not something which happens overnight, but the one thing in Eagles favour, again in my opinion, is that we have not had a sugar-daddy pouring money into a bottomless pit. 

We had 69 days (nearly 10 weeks ) without a home game, just when we needed income, like all other clubs, AND SURVIVED. The RFL have to take responsibility for their continual "couldn't organise a ###### up in a brewery" and should look at cash flow problems for the smaller clubs. Since 1st April, Eagles played 8 and only 2 of those away and supporters who are not season-ticket holders are having to look at their expenditure v carefully with them all together. At least alternate weeks give everyone a chance.

Raiders will survive, it may be hard at times, but support the coach and board, don't slag them off continually.

Semper In Facaebus Summus Sole Profundum Veriat

#58 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

"Raiders will survive, it may be hard at times, but support the coach and board, don't slag them off continually."

Well said :).

#59 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

Reading some of the posts on this forum make me laugh! All criticising other people's comments! And tbh I agree with some comments about championship players can get into super league! Menzie yere would easily get into the likes of London! Look at Hardaker and Hill! First teamers for top teams! Anyway back on to the game yesterday, we can play these "good performances" for 10/20 minutes but these 10/20 minutes performances arent getting us the result! I think haven away this weekend is another must win game otherwise are heads will drop, bonus point at the least!

#60 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

No back to one Dave Houghton was released when Widnes were a championship club and he could barely get a game for them and is nowhere near good enough for superleague. He isnt a patch on Jamie Acton as a potential higher league player

And its true Brett Phillips did turn a superleague team down and has never lost a west cumbrian derby in a town shirt either!!

I was told from someone that knows Brett personally that he had a chance of a contract with Wigan, before he signed for town, the lad has a good job at Sellafield which was a big factor in his decision to stay at home,which would make signing for town the obvious choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users