RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

hunslet reaction

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

i thought gareth had a very good game, there were 2 very bad decisions given against town for knock ons when it was clear that it was the other way but both were given by touch judges.

That was best I've seen from hewer, didn't agree with the tj calls but refreshing to see them getting involved

#22 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

hopefully no injuries from today. big 3pts next week.

#23 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

I thought the first 15 minutes was our most intense this season, I thought we were going to blow them away. Credit to Hunslet for sticking in there and making it tough for us,

Thackeray was back to his barnstorming best and Callum Philips came up with some individual magic which nearly opened them up on numerous occasions.

All in all it was a good win and a decent performance, I would fancy us against anybody with a home draw in the next round.

#24 abu

abu
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

Very good win today when you think no ACTON, CARTER, OR BRETT PHILLIPS.Would like to see a bit more from Conner don,t think he has showed a lot so far does ,ent seem to have the pace i was expecting from him? also would like to see Phillips and Forber start as our half backs against Doncaster,

#25 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,721 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

Very good win today when you think no ACTON, CARTER, OR BRETT PHILLIPS.Would like to see a bit more from Conner don,t think he has showed a lot so far does ,ent seem to have the pace i was expecting from him? also would like to see Phillips and Forber start as our half backs against Doncaster,

i thought both wingers were anonymous today and as you say kayle dosent show a great deal but he hardly gets the ball out in the centres. thought red was much improved today, although unless jp was injured he was unlucky to miss out and i would have him in before at least 2 of the starting backs today.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#26 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

i thought both wingers were anonymous today and as you say kayle dosent show a great deal but he hardly gets the ball out in the centres. thought red was much improved today, although unless jp was injured he was unlucky to miss out and i would have him in before at least 2 of the starting backs today.

kayles drop outs were excellent today especially as we were under pressure on our line

#27 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 613 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

I watched the warm up and I know it was only a warm up BUT it seems asif Kayle Connor isnt "in charge" and was listening/doing what Jason Mossop was saying/telling him to do...maybe i read into it too much but maybe Connor just isnt confident enough or just isnt being allowed to "Do It".

I would rather see Kayle at half back.

#28 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

JP unbelievably unlucky , performances should count for something . Passing is a big issue for me and a big part in our outside backs struggling to show much . We need more fizz and sharpness in our movement , very hard being a back in our team at times , you get little space and have two or three defenders in your face when you get the ball !! To much slow passing laterally . Love to see what our guys can do off quality pill . Connor is a good debate , tough to shine in the centres but looks strong and has some speed . With his kicking and his physique he must play half if he plays , but Forber is pressurising - thats no bad thing , anyone who performs should play . I think Connor has something though , but good to have a squad and a debate from strength .Still need more kicking to Ell & Calders to as wonky says . Reds improving , he milked his try celebrations !! Longer he performs longer he holds off his shift to the pack !! I know they like Mossop but he's got to start delivering more threat to hold his place now we have more competition with the likes of Connor , Red , Hulme (?) & JP ,in my opinion.

Edited by DavidM, 19 May 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#29 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,721 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

his try that he robbed off mcgraff who i think was the 'real' try scorer.lol. personally forber played his way into the starting 17 and callum has to be out there for the 80. i think todays set up worked perfectly and its up to connor to come inside and get involved if were not bringing him into it.

#30 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

Yeh it looked like red swam after it !! No cant argue with getting picked on performances , keeps everyone on their toes . Tough for a centre to do to much himself , you rely on those inside you . Same for any wide back . All you can do is dummy half runs on yer tod , but he does need to step up and catch the eye when he is involved . Easier for him and Red when the ball is conducive to them being able to do something with it . I still think he has a middle of the field physique though !!! And either way we need to settle on a half pairing soon for continuity and patterns of play . Choice of 4 now - headache for the coaches . Where does Coyle fit in with all this choice ...

#31 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

I agree with Cato89, I think it's a confidence thing with Kayle Connor.    he maybe still feels very much like the new boy and doesn't like to impose himself on the others but that is exactly what we need someone to take charge and give more direction.    Quite often we are wondering just who is making some of the decisions on field.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#32 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Yeh it looked like red swam after it !! No cant argue with getting picked on performances , keeps everyone on their toes . Tough for a centre to do to much himself , you rely on those inside you . Same for any wide back . All you can do is dummy half runs on yer tod , but he does need to step up and catch the eye when he is involved . Easier for him and Red when the ball is conducive to them being able to do something with it . I still think he has a middle of the field physique though !!! And either way we need to settle on a half pairing soon for continuity and patterns of play . Choice of 4 now - headache for the coaches . Where does Coyle fit in with all this choice ...

i would like to see red run towards the touchline when he breaks drawing defenders due to is size and his winger cut inside to receive the ball to run at the gaps

#33 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,721 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

sat at home. sorry but hes just not good enough to challenge the 4 above him. i think forbers probably playing the best rugby in a town shirt, and i would go with him and callum with using lupton like we did today. but then again i would really like to see kayle and callum given a go as well, maybe in the next round of the cup.

#34 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

Agreed on Coyle . Agreed on the four all being good enough in any combo !! It's good to have the debate from a position of strength though isn't it . Been a while since this position . They've got to look at partnerships , threat , players combining well with different skills and halves who bring others around and outside them into the game . It's up to the guys in charge , it's their gig . Pretty healthy for us though . Luptons been very good so far and pulls strings with his experience so hard to shift him .

Edited by DavidM, 19 May 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#35 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 775 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

Partnerships makes points and points make us away from the bottom of the pack and a big day out in the NRC final

#36 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

well done today guys...hope you get a home draw in the next round !

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#37 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 717 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

When he pulled them back for a previous offside David, he was just doing his job as March and another player were a mile offside in the previous play.  I think Hewer could have done something about the Hunslet assistant coach being on the field so much.   It seemed that every time they got possession he ran on the field and was coaching them from behind.    Twice he ran across Forber's vision when he was lining up a conversion and on another time he was having a huddle behind the sticks when everyone else was lined up for a centre spot kick-off.    The same bloke did it all the previous game against the Hawks.   Their coaching staff can't have much confidence in their squad if they need him running on so much.

The fella with the yellow top on came out after half time and someone shouted to him about being on the pitch so much, he then leaned over the dugout wall to tell us all that Hewer actually told him to keep it up to get the crowd going, I couldnt believe it.

#38 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

When is the next round any one know?

#39 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

I do agree that whatever choice , getting Matty n Callum on the paddock together is a big point and plus for us in attacking terms . Personally at the moment I may sway to Callum and Peter in the league on what I've seen . A good mix ... May change my mind in time , probably .

#40 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 613 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

he then leaned over the dugout wall to tell us all that Hewer actually told him to keep it up to get the crowd going, I couldnt believe it.

Your joking?? Surely! Quite funny to be honest..but I didnt think they were allowed on the field that much?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users