Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sinfield's form in last few games

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#221 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

All the players in contention for the England halfback role were good this weekend

Apart from one, who was terrible. Again.

#222 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Not Sinny's best week

Becoming a recurring theme now.
Posted Image

#223 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 982 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

Sinfield was horrible for Leeds? Was I watching a totally different game?

Seriously, take out his stupid kick on half time and he had a very good game yesterday. He created the space that put Hardaker through for his own try and looked as good as he has in weeks. He was moving forward with the ball instead of just catching and passing and it gave Wigan problems on numerous occasions.

Of course though, non Leeds fans will just remember the kick on HT and that will cloud their judgement. Anyone who was in the ground though yesterday could see how good and influential he was for Leeds though.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#224 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

Sinfield was horrible for Leeds? Was I watching a totally different game?

Seriously, take out his stupid kick on half time and he had a very good game yesterday. He created the space that put Hardaker through for his own try and looked as good as he has in weeks. He was moving forward with the ball instead of just catching and passing and it gave Wigan problems on numerous occasions.

Of course though, non Leeds fans will just remember the kick on HT and that will cloud their judgement. Anyone who was in the ground though yesterday could see how good and influential he was for Leeds though.

Clearly you were watching the same game but with your blue and amber glasses on.  Time and time again Wigan used Sinfield as a spot player for easy yards and because he gets so fatigued.  

You can't be serious that he created the space for Hardaker, he just passed a run of the mill straight ball to a player running from deep at pace who ran at a gap.  There was nothing other than basic handling involved, no different shape or line was required from the passer.  It could as easily have been passed to him by a prop forward than Sinfield. He took the try very well I thought, for someone of such limited pace to get over the line was good skill, but therein lies a problem, as an international half back he needs to be able to pretty much score from any broken play and he just can't cut it.

No mention of his choice of play on the fourth tackle, no real mention of his relatively poor kicking game yesterday, and strangely his goal kicking suffered too.

He looks to have gone on too long I'm afraid.

#225 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

It's still beyond me why Brough isn't in the squad, he is the best half back in SL by some distance at the minute.

#226 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Brough has been round the block quite a bit hasn't he?

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#227 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

So, why does that matter?

#228 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

Just saying, as the saying on here goe's

So, why does that matter?

The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#229 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Just saying, as the saying on here goe's

You pick the best players available. Brough is the best 7 we have in the country by some distance. The reasons people are giving for not selecting him have nothing to do with what happens on the pitch.

#230 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

Brough has loads of ability and is without doubt the best half back available to England, more than that he has a world class kicking game that would be a huge weapon against the top 2 nations.

He seems to get vilified for having an ego, attitude, for being arrogant, cocky and wanting to win so much that he berates his team mates when he feels they're not up for it. All the trademarks of the best British halfbacks in the history of the game and the very same traits that made Andy Gregory, Alex Murphy, Bobby Goulding, Roger Millward etc winners and fans favourites.

We've bitched for years about not having a halfback who can mix it at international level and one who doesn't have to be carried or hidden in the defensive line yet we seem to have fans who'll happily ignore Broughy because they don't particularly like him.

#231 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

Brough has loads of ability and is without doubt the best half back available to England, more than that he has a world class kicking game that would be a huge weapon against the top 2 nations.

He seems to get vilified for having an ego, attitude, for being arrogant, cocky and wanting to win so much that he berates his team mates when he feels they're not up for it. All the trademarks of the best British halfbacks in the history of the game and the very same traits that made Andy Gregory, Alex Murphy, Bobby Goulding, Roger Millward etc winners and fans favourites.

We've bitched for years about not having a halfback who can mix it at international level and one who doesn't have to be carried or hidden in the defensive line yet we seem to have fans who'll happily ignore Broughy because they don't particularly like him.

Have people really vilified Brough for all those traits that you mention?

On balance, I'd have Brough before Sinfield.  The big worry is that Brough hasn't proved anything at international level, but then he's not had a chance and Sinfield has had about thirty!  I'd certainly have him before Luke Robinson and Kevin Brown, both of whom have featured for the national side.

The problem for me, is that he declared himself for Scotland.

#232 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,774 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Have people really vilified Brough for all those traits that you mention?

On balance, I'd have Brough before Sinfield.  The big worry is that Brough hasn't proved anything at international level, but then he's not had a chance and Sinfield has had about thirty!  I'd certainly have him before Luke Robinson and Kevin Brown, both of whom have featured for the national side.

The problem for me, is that he declared himself for Scotland.

And tbh, he was pretty rubbish last time I saw him for Scotland a couple of years back against Wales, where Lee Briers gave him a masterclass.

#233 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Brough has been round the block quite a bit hasn't he?

Brough to be clear, is 30.

Not that it matters, but I was surprised when I saw his age the other day. He's been around for so long but to me he's still 26-27!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#234 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Brough to be clear, is 30.

Not that it matters, but I was surprised when I saw his age the other day. He's been around for so long but to me he's still 26-27!

Brough had genuine pace when at Wakefield, I think he's still pretty quick.  

#235 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

He caught McGuire with ease in the cup game

#236 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Only compared him in the sense of people think they're over rated.

Sinfields a far better captain there's no comparison I agree ;-)

I don't think many people thought Faz was overrated. However, many objected to him being selected as a standoff. There's no doubt he was one of the outstanding British players, both domestically and at Test level, of his generation.

#237 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,572 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

He caught McGuire with ease in the cup game

Yes.  That's far less of a challenge too these days though.

#238 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

Brough has to be the leading contender for the England 7 shirt.
Chase was good for Cas but the Aussies and Kiwis know all about him. They'll never had heard of Brough, which could be a surprise for them.
We need to go with four half backs for the World Cup and mine would be Widdop, Brough, Myler and Leon Pryce who would have a utility value as well.
I wouldn't have Sinfield anywhere near the England half back set up, not fast enough or good enough.

#239 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:18 AM

Lewis Jones used to get slagged down years ago just like Sinfield is now

The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#240 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'd rather Sinfield had a few average performances now rather than later in the season for England. Brough on his day is a great player. However England have been building a team over the last few years. I don't want England to pick the best 13 individuals for the World Cup. I want the best team.

Those players are going to be in camp together for 6 weeks. They are going to have to put their bodies on the line for the bloke next to them and to make sacrifices for the sake of the team for 6 whole weeks.

It's not just about chucking the 13 best players out there and saying go win the World Cup.

For year's people have been saying if we're going to beat the Aussies England/GB need to do something different. That's what has been happening for the last few years. We've now got a club feel to the England side. Brough was part of the squad last year and played in the Exiles match. Not only didn't he play well, but he obviously didn't fit in to the team, else he'd have been back in the squad this year.

Brough is 30. Been at lots of clubs. Just how many medals does he have in his trophy cabinet?

We're in this World Cup to win it, not to have a few flash moments that look good on the replays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users