Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sinfield's form in last few games

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#281 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Actually, isn't Brough the best 6 in the country, not 7? Just saying ;)

Both

#282 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

When does Daniel Holdsworth become English?

Just like Chase, Never!

But he still eclipsed Sinfield last night.

#283 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

I think you'll find a couple of players by the names of Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler fielded by NSW over their 2003, 2004, 2005 winning streak. Watch Game II and III from 2005 for Johns masterclasses. Game 1 from 2003 for exceptional Lockyer play from fullback and Johns magic counterattack.

On the wing, Hall is proven, but no one else would even make either Origin team. Watkins may yet prove formidable, but has not even faced the highest class. God help him if his introduction is against Inglis.

Forwards have definitely not matched Australia for years, it's been a well perpetrated myth. If it had, Sinfield's international performances would be held in higher regard. However, the English pack, save for hooker, does now look like a match for the Aussies. We shall see if they deliver on glaring potential or whether the recurring handling issues of key names prove costly at the highest level.

So they beat them because they had better halves? That pretty much backs up my point.

Hall has been outclassed by the last two wingers he has played in Charnley and Lineham. I've seen nothing to suggest that they arnt better than other Aussie wingers. The 'they wouldn't make origin' probably isn't true and is bases on the everything in the NRL is twice as good as SL which a lot of Australians believe.

We have matched them but the half backs just take over. England are forwards more often than not are being forced to bring it out from inside their own 10m line due to Aus pin point kicking whilst Englands kicking meant that Aus start their sets from the 30m line. If Englands forwards gain 40m from a set then kick it straight to the Aus full back and he runs it to the 30m line. Aus then make 40m and force a repeat set due to finishing the set inside the opposition's half who's are better? They all made the same yardage. But in the stats it'll say that the Australian side made more metres due to the metres they made on the kick return.

We will see how Watkins goes against Aus. He is capable of carving the Aussie defence open I'm sure. But we will have to see.

#284 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

So they beat them because they had better halves? That pretty much backs up my point.

Hall has been outclassed by the last two wingers he has played in Charnley and Lineham. I've seen nothing to suggest that they arnt better than other Aussie wingers. The 'they wouldn't make origin' probably isn't true and is bases on the everything in the NRL is twice as good as SL which a lot of Australians believe.

We have matched them but the half backs just take over. England are forwards more often than not are being forced to bring it out from inside their own 10m line due to Aus pin point kicking whilst Englands kicking meant that Aus start their sets from the 30m line. If Englands forwards gain 40m from a set then kick it straight to the Aus full back and he runs it to the 30m line. Aus then make 40m and force a repeat set due to finishing the set inside the opposition's half who's are better? They all made the same yardage. But in the stats it'll say that the Australian side made more metres due to the metres they made on the kick return.

We will see how Watkins goes against Aus. He is capable of carving the Aussie defence open I'm sure. But we will have to see.

I agree with much of this especially the point that Australia have had a far superior tactical kicking game for decades.
Australia have plenty of great tactical kickers seeded throughout the teams they put out. Just in the current team they have three of the best around in Smith, Thurston and Cronk as well as others capable of kicking if needed.

They are also usually a better run team with more nous and a strategy that they stick to.

If there becomes a point where they have to adjust and adapt and they switch gears and game plan in a smooth transition, this come down to the Coaching and to some extent the experience that is forged in SOO games.

Tactical Kicking, good chase.

Top Shelf Halves linking the grunt to the pacemen

Good Coaching (throughout their careers)

Combine these three things with a burning self belief and you are already more than half way to winning when you walk out on to the paddock.

Edited by AndyCapp, 02 June 2013 - 05:09 AM.

#285 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

I've never been more convinced you don't actually watch the games.

Sinfield was shocking yesterday. The number of times McDonnell barely had to move to take his "pressure relieving" bombs was ridiculous for someone who is supposed to have this as a strength. McDonnell had a field day.

His kicking game is getting worse. It was erratic against Wigan at times (costing them a try before HT). It was completely dominated by Huddersfield's opposite number the other week, and save the first 20 minutes, he was virtually invisible against a very poor Saints outfit.

Sinfield's form is awful at the moment. This has been something used to beat Danny Brough down. We now know that it's fair to both. Currently, Brough has the better skill set. Sinfield's only redeeming feature is he's a great captain of a champion side. There are plenty of people that can fill that role for England.

#286 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

I've never been more convinced you don't actually watch the games.

Sinfield was shocking yesterday. The number of times McDonnell barely had to move to take his "pressure relieving" bombs was ridiculous for someone who is supposed to have this as a strength. McDonnell had a field day.

His kicking game is getting worse. It was erratic against Wigan at times (costing them a try before HT). It was completely dominated by Huddersfield's opposite number the other week, and save the first 20 minutes, he was virtually invisible against a very poor Saints outfit.

Sinfield's form is awful at the moment. This has been something used to beat Danny Brough down. We now know that it's fair to both. Currently, Brough has the better skill set. Sinfield's only redeeming feature is he's a great captain of a champion side. There are plenty of people that can fill that role for England.

#287 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

When does Daniel Holdsworth become English?

is that the player that joe mellor played off the park last season????
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#288 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Sinfield has always struck me has a school prefect figure. A teacher's/coach's dream. Unfortunately he has never been good enough to play in the halves or big enough for 13. There has only ever been a place for him in a side at 9 but there are many better options around.
He's making the unique step of transferring his international form to club level. Brough must be gutted

#289 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

Lets face it he's rubbish and away's has been,not even fairly good either

Against Australia, is Sinfield going to have this luxury of being near the goal line every time?

If he can't get to get us out of danger (which recent form is suggesting he's losing that ability at an alarming rate), then he's not really that good to us, is he? He's slow as well. He's a fairly good organiser but not quick enough to take advantage of that.

I'm being more and more convinced every week that Brough is definitely the answer, not Sinfield.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#290 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Lets face it he's rubbish and away's has been,not even fairly good either

Against Australia, is Sinfield going to have this luxury of being near the goal line every time?

If he can't get to get us out of danger (which recent form is suggesting he's losing that ability at an alarming rate), then he's not really that good to us, is he? He's slow as well. He's a fairly good organiser but not quick enough to take advantage of that.

I'm being more and more convinced every week that Brough is definitely the answer, not Sinfield.

Your first point renders your others a bit irrelevant, he's clearly not rubbish is he, you must have an agenda, you may not rate him and you may not have picked him, doesn't make him rubbish does it.

3 gf winning coaches and 3 gb/England coaches also disagree with you, I'll take their opinion over yours any day of the week

Brough is not the answer he's Scottish we'll this week anywat

Edited by christopher, 07 June 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#291 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

Your first point renders your others a bit irrelevant, he's clearly not rubbish is he, you must have an agenda, you may not rate him and you may not have picked him, doesn't make him rubbish does it.
3 gf winning coaches and 3 gb/England coaches also disagree with you, I'll take their opinion over yours any day of the week

Once again, quit with the agenda stuff, you make yourself look incredibly arrogant.

#292 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

Once again, quit with the agenda stuff, you make yourself look incredibly arrogant.

Do you think saying 'Sinfield is clearly rubbish and always has been' sound like a guy with a well thought out reasoned argument?

#293 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Hey you If you read all my post's you will see I agree with you.On this post I was having a dig at the little green men which is the reason they don't like Sinfield.If Sinfield Is so lacking in ability have there been any the player in the last 10 year's who have been as poor?Criticism is one thing ,but this kind of assassination is very WAARD of the mark

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#294 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hey you If you read all my post's you will see I agree with you.On this post I was having a dig at the little green men which is the reason they don't like Sinfield.If Sinfield Is so lacking in ability have there been any the player in the last 10 year's who have been as poor?Criticism is one thing ,but this kind of assassination is very WAARD of the mark

I apologise then I didn't pick up on the tone of your post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users